Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #14 (Read 32 times)

sdWhiskers

I would totally lose my shit if I were you.

HAHA this is exactly me

Docket_Rocket

Whiskers, my agency switched us to Window 365 and it crashes outlook and others a lot.

Dave, ugh.

My hill sprints went great! One of those runs that are very enjoyable.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hill sprints

very enjoyable

Does not compute

Dave

onemile

Does not compute

yeah, next time run harder 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training.

Docket_Rocket

yeah, next time run harder 

I tried as hard as I could! Breathing was great today which I suspect was why they were great. And the weather was perfect. Normally I am coughing up a lung  afterwards but not tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

KCRuns

Do you think you'll take the medicine tomorrow? Does it have codeine in it? Or maybe that's just for pain. 

No codeine, I’d sleep all day! But I don’t like taking medicine, especially for extended periods. But I guess I need it. I’ll take it tonight and then try not to take it tomorrow, see how long I last. BUT, I will take it faster tomorrow at the first sign I need it rather than have a repeat of today.

KCRuns

OMFG Windows 10. None of my programs work and IT is ridiculously overwhelmed. I spent 2 hours today on the phone, watching them try to fix stuff and I'm no where different than this morning. I have approximately 30 open tickets with IT and I'm about to lose my shit.

That’s so frustrating!  Can you leave and go for a run while they work on your computer?

sdWhiskers

That’s so frustrating!  Can you leave and go for a run while they work on your computer?

Sadly no. IT is working remotely so almost no one physically on site Windows 10 was added on Thursday and I bet it's at least another week until things are working enough to be useful.

Cyberic

IT: I do not work in IT and know nothing about the situation so I'm not commenting on that.

It does remind me of why I do not do contracts though. People (many) have this notion that it is easy to fix computers, to develop Web sites and all that. "I help everyone in my family", or "I made my own web site in two evening in 2004'. Yup. That stuff is easy enough for someone with skills. But it's not because that is easy that everything computer related is easy.

Most of us have a specialty in which we become good at, but will stay at advanced user level at most on everything else, and complete newbies at many many things.

Just rambling, here.

Docket_Rocket

Our IT is also remotely and 3 people cover the entire agency. I had 20 tickets active when they did the transfer because they fucked it all up. I am sure they keep a picture of my name and my face so they can fail to answer the phone whenever I call, lol.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand

I am sure they keep a picture of my name and my face so they can fail to answer the phone whenever I call, lol.

LOL

sdWhiskers

IT: I do not work in IT and know nothing about the situation so I'm not commenting on that.

It does remind me of why I do not do contracts though. People (many) have this notion that it is easy to fix computers, to develop Web sites and all that. "I help everyone in my family", or "I made my own web site in two evening in 2004'. Yup. That stuff is easy enough for someone with skills. But it's not because that is easy that everything computer related is easy.

Most of us have a specialty in which we become good at, but will stay at advanced user level at most on everything else, and complete newbies at many many things.

Just rambling, here.

My frustration is more with the global roll-out of IT directives here. Nothing seems well thought out. It was decided that thousands of employees would be switched over to Windows 10 in a few weeks span. Once you have W10, check you off the list and move to the next person. Never mind that the upgraded computer contains no programs and we are not allowed to install anything ourselves. So carry on with business as usual...except, you can't.

We also used to have several IT people on site that were part of the site (and were valued and respected, very helpful). Then they were let go and replaced with revolving door of contractors who have no real familiarity with us or all the scientific software we depend on. Now most of those have been removed in favor of call centers across the globe who really can't provide support we need, and are rarely available during PST hours. I feel really bad for the 2-3 IT people that we actually do still have on site because this really sucks for them and they are doing their best but everyone is angry, and the people responsible are in Boston.

Docket_Rocket

Same with us when they did 365. It's like you will have it during the weekend. Monday came and we couldn't even work. It's either never planned or too high over their heads.

Damaris

Fundraising Page