Beginners and Beyond

Lemonade Day Sunday penguins (Read 24 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Apparently it's Lemonade Day. That, to me, says it's officially warmer out! Drink up.

I'm a little muscle-sore from yesterday's training workout, but my knee and shin are golden. Yay! Today is a rest day. We have our annual Mayday parade and festival in Minneapolis: life size puppets, lots of music, and a ton of fun.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Apparently it's Lemonade Day. That, to me, says it's officially warmer out! Drink up.

I'm a little muscle-sore from yesterday's training workout, but my knee and shin are golden. Yay! Today is a rest day. We have our annual Mayday parade and festival in Minneapolis: life size puppets, lots of music, and a ton of fun.

Enjoy the RD, Obie.  Glad the knee and shin are good. Not watching hockey this afternoon   ???

3 miles planned later this morning w/dw.  That will be m post cortisone LR.

GinnyinPA

Obiebykes - Mayday in Minneapolis sounds like fun.  Enjoy your rest day.

Jerry - hurray for getting back to 3 miles.  I know for me it felt like a real milestone - I was back to being a real runner again.

AFM:  not sure whether it will be a rest day or recovery run day.  I'm not as stiff and sore as I expected, after last night's aches, but I don't really feel like doing anything terribly strenuous either.  Banana-blueberry pancakes for breakfast mean my glycogen stores are filled, but it will be a while before I can move faster than a walk.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Pancakes sound so good, Ginny.  Have a nice RD.

Got the 3 miles in. No problem with the knee but HR is a little high probably since I'm out of shape.  Kind of chilly today, but at least shorts and no gloves.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Did somebody say pancake???

Randy

GinnyinPA

Have you heard of the Seiad Valley challenge?  We ran into it while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.  Five pancakes, one pound apiece.  If you can eat all five, you get the meal free.  Very very few manage to do it.  We didn't even try.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Taking today off even though I'm not quite at my miles for the week. After yesterday's race I have a tight spot behind my right knee that I want to let ease off. It feels like muscle tightness but I'd rather not chance it right now, things are getting better for me and I don't want that screwed up. I did change shoes the last few days so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. Have great Sunday everyone.

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Robert, the rest should help your knee.

obie, glad your knee and shin are feeling good.

Jerry, nice miles, be patient coming back.

Redrum and Ginny, I love pancakes, but could never eat 5 pounds of them.

I have already done an 11 mile bike ride, and hopefully will run some recovery miles later. My RR is up for yesterday's 8k. I'm waiting see my son's video from me wearing the camera. I got me a new phone yesterday, so I need to spend some time trying to figure out how to work the darn thing.

Philliefan33

Mmm, pancakes.  I like pancakes, but two or three is my usual limit.  Or just one of those monsters that Ginny posted.

I'm not going to write a RR, since I didn't race, it wasn't a goal race, and I don't have much to say to the general B&B about it.  But I will share a little with the colony.

Today's Bucks County Ten Miler was a big success for me.  Recall that I know I'm not fit enough right not to race that distance, so I was looking at it as a LR with bibs and water on the course.  My LR lately has been in the 7-8 range so  I was prepared to walk if necessary, and even turn around early on the out-and-back course if I was really struggling (and bypass the finish line).

The weather was good, about 55º and cloudy.  I ran totally by feel, the only time I looked at my pace was at the one mile mark to make sure I wasn't getting swept up in the excitement and going too fast.  I finished in 1:50:26, with my splits in the first 8 miles between 10:55 - 11:17 (in no particular order, maybe the longer splits coincide when I walked and drank at a water station).  Mile 9 was 10:50, the last mile was 10:21.

This is the same course where I got terrible calf cramps in the HM last November and had to shuffle the last two miles, so actually running across the finish line felt like a victory.

Here's the fun part.  The theme of this race was "May the Fourth be with You".  I saw a few Princess Leia runners, some guys in rebel outfits, someone with her face painted like a Sith, chasing a guy running with a stuffed Yoda in a backpack.

The swag was fun -- the bibs had Yoda on them!  The finisher's medal is a bottle opener.  For anyone in the area, I highly recommend the runBucks races along the Delaware Canal.

Zelanie

Mmm, pancakes.  I've eliminated a bunch of stuff from my diet for the time being while waiting for my GI doc appointment, and wheat is one of them, so no pancakes for me.  I think the idea is to gradually add stuff back in one category at a time.  It's been a lot of potatoes, rice, oats, and quinoa for me lately.  Not too bad as far as comfort food, I guess. Smile

That pancake challenge sounds like the perfect thing for PCT hikers!  Except they're probably used to grazing all day by the time they get there, so even if they could use the calories, that would be a lot of food to eat at once!

I ran a small local 10K today.  I'm still mysteriously slow this spring, and I think it's all in my head.  But I had a good run, actually.  According to my sig, I was about a minute slower than my PR from last fall.  It was a fun event.  Everyone got a tomato plant and a glass medal, and there were runners in gnome costumes and gnomes in runner costumes.  Actually, I'm short enough that the last one might have been me!

GinnyinPA

Margo and Zelanie - both races sound like fun.  I like the idea of a tomato plant prize.  Also the Star Wars theme.  I'm glad they went well, even if you weren't the fastest ever.  Are you a bit afraid of getting hurt again?

I ended up doing 5 recovery   miles on the treadmill.  After my trouble with the grass yesterday, I didn't want to be outside in the fresh mowed grass on a windy day.  It worked.  My breathing wasn't an issue.