Beginners and Beyond

So I Went To See My Doc... (Read 193 times)

Better I Leave

...this last Monday, right? Just for a checkup and to discuss a few "old guy" issues...heh. Anyway, I start talking to him about this persistent groin pain that has been troubling me for quite sometime now that is getting worse lately.

He has me do a few things and then sends me immediately over to the surgeon. Apparently, I've had a hernia for awhile...whodathunk? I've been running and lifting all along with it. I kinda figured the "discomfort" was from things getting "jostled" while running...LOL!

So, the surgeon confirms the hernia. My first question is "OK, how long is my recovery cuz I have my next race in July." He grins and says, You look pretty healthy. You'll be running like you normally do in 4 weeks....Kewlness.

Had the procedure yesterday and still grinning. Cool

delicate flower

Had the procedure yesterday and still grinning. Cool

Must be some good drugs!

Best of luck with your recovery, Dave.  Four weeks?  As you know, that's nuthin'.

<3

Have a speedy recovery dave!

Better I Leave

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'll be ready for the Davis Moonlight HM. At first I was a bit apprehensive. A couple of my colleagues described the pain after their procedures and they said it was horrific. Of course these guys are "couch potato" specimens. I feel pain today, but certainly not debilitating pain like they described.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

PGD, tonight I will have a Blue Moon in your honor. Here's to a speedy recovery!

Pinktastic

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery, PGD!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Wishing you a speedy recovery Smile

Docket_Rocket

Good luck with the recovery.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

#artbydmcbride

Cool beans that you were diagnosed and fixed so quickly!  Did you get any spot lipo done while they were cutting?  Big grin

Runners run

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

PGD, I can tell you how your problem started.  It was those pictures Lilly posted from behind that caused you to blow out the abdominal wall.

My suggestion is to wear a jock strap (see this thread)http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/Forum/Post/8c995503471344bca5529961ab335e5c#focus

A steady diet of sponge bob cartoons and juice boxes and you will heal up in no time Big grin

Better I Leave

LOL! Thanks guys. Ouch...It only hurts when I laugh. Big grin

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

I am assuming you had an inguinal hernia in your groin? Was it an open surgery? I had it done on my left side over a year ago and it was an open surgery. They cleared me to run after 5 weeks but I waited one more week to be safe. It took me about a month of running to feel relatively normal.

The issue with the inguinal hernia repair is there is a large collection of nerves in that area so occasionally you will feel some pain during the run and definitely after the run. Keep in mind though I didn't need mine repaired until 7 years after diagnosis. If you had it done soon after diagnosis, you may heal quicker.

Better I Leave

I am assuming you had an inguinal hernia in your groin? Was it an open surgery? I had it done on my left side over a year ago and it was an open surgery. They cleared me to run after 5 weeks but I waited one more week to be safe. It took me about a month of running to feel relatively normal.

The issue with the inguinal hernia repair is there is a large collection of nerves in that area so occasionally you will feel some pain during the run and definitely after the run. Keep in mind though I didn't need mine repaired until 7 years after diagnosis. If you had it done soon after diagnosis, you may heal quicker.

Yes it was. Other than the waxing/waning discomfort I didn't know I had it. I mean, I do some pretty heavy lifting and it really didn't bother me then. Anyway, I was given the option to wait a month or two, but with my race in July I asked for the first available spot to get it over with. The surgeon told me that I should be able to start walking/jogging in as little as 2 weeks and build up to my normal running regimen by week 4.

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

Yes it was. Other than the waxing/waning discomfort I didn't know I had it. I mean, I do some pretty heavy lifting and it really didn't bother me then. Anyway, I was given the option to wait a month or two, but with my race in July I asked for the first available spot to get it over with. The surgeon told me that I should be able to start walking/jogging in as little as 2 weeks and build up to my normal running regimen by week 4.

Mine got to the point where I couldn't stand up without having to push my intestines back in. I couldn't walk 10 feet without being in extreme pain.

Better I Leave

Wowee. Yeah, when the doc said that the tear was small, I stupidly asked "Well, if I just take it easy, will it repair itself?" He grinned and said "No, it WILL get worse."