Beginners and Beyond

Marathon pacing vs. Recovery time (Read 70 times)

onemile

This is just off the top of my head & not based in fact or experience. I would think one of the two extremes is better - (1) race it all out & go for PR, despite less than optimal training, because I bet you are actually in pretty great shape; (2) easy pace & just soak in the Boston experience, really be able to enjoy all 26.2, bounce back quickly. Something in between, you might wish you did one or the other. But, WTF do I know.

That's kind of what I was thinking, which was why I started this thread... I don't think I'm exactly a "victory lap" high five the kids type of person.  I would rather fairly hard but not quite all out or all out.

bluerun

Super B****

That's kind of what I was thinking, which was why I started this thread... I don't think I'm exactly a "victory lap" high five the kids type of person.  I would rather fairly hard but not quite all out or all out.

This is me.  The NYC Half was supposed to be my victory lap after Tel Aviv this year, and instead, it wound up being fast enough to have been a PR had I not run one two weeks prior.  So I ended up running a faster race than I "should," which would be fine, except it took more out of me than it should have.  I'm kind of the master of running races at a pace that's too slow to be an all-out effort, but too fast to be easy (from which to bounce back).  It's annoying.  Knowing that you're not the victory lap type, I'd go with running it all out.  But that's me.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

...I don't think I'm exactly a "victory lap" high five the kids type of person.

I have gone over it in my head a million times and keep coming back to the same thing; I am not stopping to kiss a dozen girls, it's a race FFS. lol

This is why I keep going back to whatever works for the individual. I ran right past a one dollar bill lying on the ground last month during my half and have no regrets about not stopping to pick it up. That despite at the time that I saw it I was basically mailing it in.

#pickupthemoneyfool

#noitsarace

#butyousuck

#thereisnooffswitchonme

onemile

The other option I was considering is running it by feel / effort without a certain time in mind and see what happens. Kind of like an experiment.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The other option I was considering is running it by feel / effort without a certain time in mind and see what happens. Kind of like an experiment.

Isn't that how you're supposed to race?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

onemile

Isn't that how you're supposed to race?

Sure, but I always go into races with a tune up race / pacing plan. And a time goal.  This time I really don't know what I could run if I were to run all out.