Beginners and Beyond

Race times in sigs (Read 260 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Don't take it down! Be proud, like that saying... "you might be slow to some, but you're still faster than the guy on the sofa in his living room"! Fast or slow, you're out there and that is all that matters!

Oh and +1000 to what D said to you.

I'm very proud of my 33 minute 5K time, but after seeing the mocking over times I would be ecstatic with, I took it down. Is it bragging to be proud of an accomplishment?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Love the Half

This is a running forum, right?   I think PRs are relevant to multiple types of conversation threads (like giving advice or seeing the training log of someone with similar times...) and we all should be proud of the effort we put in to get those times.

What I don't get is people then using those times to judge people harshly or create some sort of heirachy based on speed. Healthy competition is one thing and that's fine, but you know... it still is just running at the end of the day.  Smile   

Occasionally, PR's can be relevant.  You'll sometimes see someone who ran a 1:53 half marathon and a 5:15 marathon giving advice about how to run a marathon.  They should be giving advice on how not to run it or at least be saying, "don't do what I did."  I will also note that seeing the PR's of other folks around my age inspired me to think that I might be able to run that fast myself if I worked hard enough.  I wanted to know how they got there so I could get there myself.  When your HM PR is 2:28, it takes a leap of faith to think you might be able to eventually cut an hour from that time.  That's a hard leap to take without the example others to let you know what is possible.

I don't think there is a hierarchy based on speed  because there is no one in this forum (other than Goo) who has ever been honest to goodness fast.  The rest of us plod along at anything from halfway decent to pretty damn slow with none of it terribly impressive in the larger scheme of things.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MrNamtor

However this was not really a discussion about race times, it was just people seeing how much they could piss each other off.

No Dave, it might seem like that, but it isn't the case.

There's a forum of people on this site that have a very nasty mentality. Their posts are full of really nasty hateful remarks about individuals and people in general. They have gotten wrapped up in a really warped sub culture that's no different from a street gang or the culture of idiots in high school who would make fun of you because you were too fat or maybe too smart and not cool enough for their liking, or push you up against a locker because they could.

Those people come on here and make their snide insulting comments. You LOL'd one of these btw.

Sometimes people (me) respond in an incorrect manner to the argument. But you should take a good look at the argument itself if you want to see whats going on.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

: popcorn icon:

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Am I supposed to be mocking the runners who can't beat my college times or the ones I can still beat now? At what point do I compare age graded times? (just kidding)

As soon as you're comfortable saying that you're old Joking.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

If people posted their driving PR's on their cars (# of tickets, accidents, DUIs, etc.) I'd know who to avoid on the road.  Can we all start doing that?

You people have issues 

MrNamtor

If people posted their driving PR's on their cars (# of tickets, accidents, DUIs, etc.) I'd know who to avoid on the road.  Can we all start doing that?

that's actually a good idea.

btw, my theory is that the "mean kids" on this site were the ones who were made fun of and pushed against lockers when they were in middle school and hs, and this is sort of their way of reversing their own personal history.

Birdwell

I don't think there is a hierarchy based on speed  because there is no one in this forum user group (other than Goo) who has ever been honest to goodness fast.  The rest of us plod along at anything from halfway decent to pretty damn slow with none of it terribly impressive in the larger scheme of things.

I'm pretty sure Jeff, Spaniel, wrigley girl, fellrunner and a few other on the main boards have been genuinely fast. They simply choose not to post here, but are willing to offer expert advice on the main boards.

also, from this thread I've learned that LTH is the fastest so far, with Mike coming in a close second, but second none the less.

GinnyinPA

I like seeing race names and times in signatures.  It gives me an idea of what kind of experience people have, where they live, and thus what kind of conditions they are used to running in.  I sometimes look for folks who live near me, so I can learn about races in my area, or who are running in places I'd like to run.  To some it's bragging, but it's also taking  pride in hard won accomplishments.  If you can't brag here, where can you?  Who else would understand?

I don't give more credence to faster runners, because there are some very fast beginners and some slow people with a lot of experience, but I do tend to pay attention to people whose sig lines show a fair amount of racing.  Of course, many of the most experienced don't bother, because as they said, either their PRs are in the past, or because they have way too many races to put in one short paragraph.  (Can you imagine if Scottydawg put all his 2013 races in his sig?)  However, their experience shows in their posts in other ways, and it doesn't take long to figure out who really knows what they are talking about.  TBH, I'll pay attention to anyone who offers helpful information and advice since I have so much to learn.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I like to post mine.  If nothing else, it helps me to remember them.  I used to have a 4-mile PR but I forgot what it is when we lost the signatures on RW.  Also, it's motivating to me.  If I look at that darn thing every time I make a post, I'm more likely to want to drop some time off it.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

YAYpril - B-Plus

I like to post mine.  If nothing else, it helps me to remember them.  I used to have a 4-mile PR but I forgot what it is when we lost the signatures on RW.  Also, it's motivating to me.  If I look at that darn thing every time I make a post, I'm more likely to want to drop some time off it.

You need to race 5k & 10k soon. 2-year-old PRs? Come on! Smile

LRB

I'm very proud of my 33 minute 5K time, but after seeing the mocking over times I would be ecstatic with, I took it down.

The more appropriate response would have been to increase the font size, italicize it, then make it bold.  But that's the sarcastic smart ass in me speaking (emphasis on ass), which I can be when the situation calls for it.

My advice to you, discover your inner ass, and stand up for yourself.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You need to race 5k & 10k soon. 2-year-old PRs? Come on! Smile

Yes, I think I could take those down fairly easily at this point.  I think I'll probably find a 5k around July 4th, and I'm planning on a 10k during this marathon training cycle too.  I really just don't race that much compared to the rest of you guys, but I have been working on doing more of it and not being so fearful of getting injured.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

SheCan

The more appropriate response would have been to increase the font size, italicize it, then make it bold.  But that's the sarcastic smart ass in me speaking (emphasis on ass), which I can be when the situation calls for it.

My advice to you, discover your inner ass, and stand up for yourself.

LMAO, I think that's excellent advice!  But then again, Coralie is such a darling, she'd probably be the sweetest acting ass ever!

And about the sigs, heck this is a runners forum, if there's any place it's appropriate, its here.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

B-Plus

Now you have your log, so you don't have to remember.