Beginners and Beyond

Too much to talk about Tuesday Penguins! (Read 36 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! Noapplication necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Good morning everyone! Hope everyone has a great day!

Still not getting to run much. Was on mid shift last week and really hard to find the time to get out there and get it done and of course yesterday and today we have had storms all day and we don't have a TM or gym membership so.....

Tomorrow looks to be nice though so maybe a 4 or 5 miler is in the future.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning jblackjr and other Penguins soon to follow!

Yesterday I went for a neuromuscular massage after work. She advised me not to run or bike so I listened! I plan on running after work before going to training class this evening.

The auto-correct feature is a pain in the butt. Sometimes I proofread  and even I can't figure out what I intended on saying!

Also - dropping a small fortune on heating oil today. Good bye hard, cold cash - Hello nice warm house!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

hog4life

Hey Jimmy and Gustav.

Jimmy, what are your hours for mid shift? Mine are 2:00 pm-10:00 pm, and I like this shift the most for running. I'll usually head out between 7;00 -10:00 am and still have time to shower before work. Are you planning to come out on Sunday? They have runner tracking if something comes up and you can't make it. My bib number is 2506.

Gustav, I suffer from the same thing sometimes on the auto correct.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

jblack - It won't be long and spring will be here, which brings a lot more daylight with it and more opportunities to get outside.

Gustav - I thought the massage therapist might say that, but figured I'd leave that surprise to the professional.  Always good to listen to the person who went to school for the job.  I saw a thing on buzzfeed about the iPhone's auto correct, and on more than one occasion it substituted the word skittletits.  It really made me wonder about the iPhone in general.

AFM - I have that 10 mile run tonight with two 2.5 mile tempo bouts in it.  I'm looking forward to that, and maybe I can find time to watch, "Spirit of the Marathon".  P3 bought it for me, and it's actually an autographed copy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch - Do you have a goal time in mind for this weekend?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - I checked out the pyramid climbing robot.  That's pretty awesome.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

Mitch - Do you have a goal time in mind for this weekend?

A - sub 2

B - 1:56:00

C - 1:52:00

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I like it Mitch.  I can't wait to read an RR.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

From the Internet.

I had to turn off autocorrect, it became unbearable for me after the last update! DH's phone once changed some random word to "blacksploitation", I think that's been my favorite so far, lol.

Heading into work to start an experiment in a few, planning to lift this morning and maybe do a 1 mile or so recovery jog to assess how the legs are doing today. I do want to go up to 5-6 days eventually, thinking that perhaps this will be a good way to start building that into my routine.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I was so sick yesterday I didn't run!  6 recovery miles and weights tonight if I can.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  Busy week at work -- Three of us hurrying to get an experiment started so we can have data by April.

A 7 mile MLR planned for this afternoon.  The forecast calls for temps in the low 40's, but strong winds giving us a windchill of 30 degrees.  Yuck, wind annoys me.  I'd rather run in a colder, calm day than a windy day.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning. Don't have time to read everything or do personals....will read when I get to work, gotta shower now.

But my new training plan that will take me into June started today. Thank you everyone who helped me with it!!!!!

2 miles. 34 degrees. Longest run since the run that started all this ITB garbage on 12/28. Felt amazing! Went down to the jogging path by the water hoping that they had salted and plowed it, or that yesterdays high 40s temps and rain had melted most of the snow. It seemed the former wasn't really true, but the latter was, so save for having to be careful of some icy patches, it was fine. It felt so good to be out there!! Once again, my pace seems to have improved since before this injury business.... first mile at 10:40 (seriously?! still) second at 12:08 but it didn't autopause when I stopped for at least 30-40 seconds to adjust my knee brace and tights, or when I creeped around a big icy patch. Overall very pleased Smile. Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I think today will be a health club day on the weight machines.  Also, need to go to Dollar Tree to buy a Valentines Day card.  Does Dollar Tree sell roses too ???

BTW, , hope that is not Vance' ship that is powerless in the Caribbean.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rach, so sorry to hear about your Dad.  Condolences, thoughts, and prayers for you and your family.

Posted by Lauren on Monday: Can't tell if my shin is actually cranky or if it's just getting irritated because I can't stop prodding at it

Yeah, I can relate, I have that problem with my....umm....never mind....darn 'old man' stuff...  Roll eyes Wink

Jimmy, sorry your schedule and the weather is preventing you from getting out there.  Hope Mother Nature starts cooperating for you...or...you stop being a wimp and get out in the weather!  Wink  Just teasing, of course; I wouldn't go out in a storm either if there is lightning, a risk to your safety, etc.   Seriously, hope you get to run soon!

Enjoy your run today, Gustav!  Hope the massage helped you. I'm actually afraid to get a massage, lol. I don't think I've ever even noticed the auto-correct on here.  At home, however, I get auto-corrected by my wife quite a bit!

Heck, Awood, Spring is here for us already!  It will be 71 degrees today for my run after work.  Right now, though, it is 52 and raining like crazy, with some lightning,  so a bit chilly.   Good luck with your 10 and enjoy the movie!

Good luck with your upcoming race this weekend, Mitch!  So you are in taper mode right now? Must be fun.... Roll eyes

Lauren, good luck with your workout and hopefully your shin/leg will be good to you.

Good luck with your run today, Margo.  I'm right there with you on how you feel about the wind.   Good luck with your experiment stuff.......'bwahahahahahaaaa...it's alive...it's alive!"  Big grin

Wow, Damaris, no running, you must've REALLY been sick!  Hope you feel better, and I wouldn't push the run today, give your body a couple of days or so to get back to 100%.  No relapses, young lady!

Glad you had a good run, Kristin!

Happy weight machines, Jerry!  You can get roses at Dollar Tree for a dollar?  Those must be some really nice roses! Wink  Yeah...let's see.. Valentine's Day is Thursday...which is also mine and Gail's 28th anniversary...and then Friday is her birthday, sheesh.  Luckily, I have already got all my ducks lined up, already got the cards and gifts...and since Gail has all this week off work ( overtime hours she has to use-or-lose) I took Thursday and Friday off of work, so we will be doing something together those two days, which is nice; rare for us to be able to get together during the work week.

AFM:  After this rain moves out of San Antonio later, lots of sunshine and a 71-degree day.  I plan to run about 4 miles or so...somewhere...haven't mad up my mind which of my 100-or-so available local running routes I want to use today.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt