Beginners and Beyond

Race 58 for 2017 - San Antonio Roadrunnner Whine Run (Read 2 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.  

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2058%20Whine%20Run?sort=2

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them.     All in all, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE THE START

This was my 58th race of 2017.  The San Antonio Roadrunners Whine Run, held every year on Labor Day, is a challenging VERY HILLY course held at Vintage Oaks community in New Braunfels, Texas. This year a 5K was also added.  I did the 5-miler.  Start time of 7:30 a.m., with walkers having the option to start at 7 a.m.   I had already gotten my packet from packet pickup a couple days before so when I arrived a bit before 7 a.m., I got my timing chip and then proceeded to get some 'before' photos.

Still a little dark when I got there and was at the packet pickup area. One of the first people I met was my pal Bernadette

..and others...

These purple shirts are the race shirts

After the packet pickup area, we walked along a trail through a field, crossed over a road to the Vintage Oaks gated community area, and that was where the start/finish area was.    Sun was beginning to come up, so got lighter pretty fast..

Getting ready to go....people behind me and in front of me at the start area

ON THE COURSE

Did I say this was hilly? About the only flat parts were just right before the start/finish mat and a little bit of a flat area after the first hill.  So - BANG - just about right out of the starting gate we were going up the first hill.  I sure did not expect to set any speed records for this one and I sure did not, lol.  I finished in an hour and 4 minutes.  Those hills were killers!  I train on hills once a week, but not like these hills and I admit to taking a couple of 'extended' walk breaks during my walk/run.  Even so, I managed to enjoy myself and I met my two primary race goals:  finish standing up and have no ambulance at the finish line waiting specifically for me.

And just about right off the bat, we are going up a hill..into the sun, no less

A little bit of flat

and then..back to the hills

almost to the top of this thing...

ahhh, some more flat for a while

people behind me cresting the top of that last hill

Had some nice wide road ahead of us

and more hills

Nice view from here

back to the hills

We went up to this stop sign, turned left and did a little out-and-back

down this road to a downhill

which then turned into an uphill to get to the turnaround point

then down and up again, as you can see...

then on the top part of the uphill after the turn-around

these folks were still heading to the little out-and-back road, which I was getting ready to get off of

which I did, only to have to then go right up the next hill

this guy was already finished and had come back for more, lol.  He was looking for friends, I think, to cheer them on.  My friend, Mark, who finished in 33 minutes, good grief!

much as I could I tried to enjoy the views to take my mind off the hills...these were typical houses we passed in this neighborhood

back to the view of the hill I was currently on

good grief...

The last hill!

After that, we ran almost straight up a short steep hill, got to a stop sign, turned right, were back on the road we had started on, and it was downhill to the finish.    Crossed the mat at 1:04: 23

AFTER THE FINISH!

finish line area first... 

Those small towels, like this guy was wearing, which were placed in ice water, felt great after that run!

Next... PAAAAARRRRRTYYYY!!!  This is what we go through this torture for, lol.  Our host was Dry Comal Creek Winery and the after-party was on its grounds.  Two free glasses of wine to each participant, lots of tables and chairs under very nice shade trees to relax after the run and enjoy your drinks and food that they had there also.  Wandered around getting a lot of photos.  Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, especially now that the hardest part of the event was over, lol.

Near the entrance of the winery

I'm with this guy...rest my old legs, lol

On the winery grounds...

I am not much of a wine drinker, prefer beer, so this guy kindly gave me a cold one

Thanks, man!

Speedy Mark already changed and enjoying the party

Me and friend Adrian...we did some of the last part of the course together.  Nice having a friend keeping you company

I am pretty shy,   so I appreciated the ladies letting me have photos with them...

My pals Bernadette and Eileen both placed in their age groups

My friend, Sally, on the right, also placed

This is their actual hair, too..

some of the age group winners...not me at all, lol

Party on.....

EPILOGUE

I like this event - even though that darn course just about kills me every time, lol.  Lots of very friendly participants, well organized, challenging course, great after-party with great hosts.   I would do this one again, but I think next year I may just do the 5K - I am curious to see how that course is, compared to the 5-miler.  Very nice quality tech tees this year too - singlets this year, sweet.  Definitely gonna get that one printed up and wear it to events.   All in all, a really good morning - although after I got home, I sat in my chair and promptly fell asleep for a couple of hours, lol.  This race and the after-party can definitely take a bit out of you. Especially for older dogs like me.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people that made this one happen for us!  San Antonio Roadrunners, volunteers, Dry Comal Creek Winery folks, law enforcement that was out there for us, all the sponsors and vendors, EMT guys, etc...all you people who have to get out there and so so much so we runners and walkers can have our event.  Thank you so much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

That was definitely a challenging course.  Good thing you practice on hills pretty often.