Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race Number 8: Cupid's Chase 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%208%20Cupids%20Chase%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 8th race of 2019 was the Cupid’s Chase 5K held on Feb 9th at O.P. Schnabel Park in San Antonio TX.  Put on by Community Options Inc in various cities in February to raise funds to make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities.  A friend of mine told me there were about 90 registered for this event but I think a lot fewer actually showed up on race day, probably because of the weather.  South Texans are not fond of cold weather and for this event the temps were in the mid 30s, with a bit of off-and-on drizzle that really didn’t amount to much.  This after being in the darn 60s and 70s for most of the week before, good grief.  Mother Nature really likes to use Texas as her weather yo-yo, lol; up, down, up, down. We never know what the heck we are going to get here in San Antonio from week to week – unless it’s summer. Then we know it’s always hot.  I had on a top shirt and two layers below that and a winter cap. I think we had a total show-up of a little over 40 participants, even though start time was a late 10 a.m.  Thankful for the later start, let me sleep in a bit, and the darn weather first thing in the morning was even colder.  I got to the venue with about 40 minutes to go and got a few pre-start photos.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_2164_zpsslzkhtam.jpg

With the iRun Texas team

photo IMG_2163_zpsupgwwmwh.jpg

photo IMG_2165_zpsw3b8oo7v.jpg

Two Air Force veterans

photo IMG_2173_zpswdzrmeok.jpg

Wifh friend Jill. She is wearing the race shirt that participants got.

photo IMG_2174_zpskau8vk0m.jpg

Various

photo IMG_2166_zpsnp6jwtnj.jpg

photo IMG_2168_zps3jykdsru.jpg

photo IMG_2169_zpsoxkzap7g.jpg

photo IMG_2171_zpsoqa1nifd.jpg

photo IMG_2172_zps2pa5psik.jpg

photo IMG_2176_zpsjlsvldoc.jpg

photo IMG_2177_zpsjopjmvk0.jpg

photo IMG_2179_zpsy3yd0qno.jpg

Getting ready to go

photo IMG_2180_zpsl5esstnc.jpg

ON THE COURSE

I’ve done races in this park several times before so pretty much knew the route. Out—and-back course on the park’s paved off-road trails with an up incline right after the start, then a downhill on the way out that became an uphill on the way to the finish, and then downhill right before the finish. There were a couple of small inclines mid-course but for the most part it was pretty flat.  Before I ran I set aside one of my shirts to have a dry shirt after and ditched my cap, since when I run I know I heat up pretty quick.  Glad I did because I was ‘just right’ while on the course and felt comfortable and well, and I ended up with 33:40 for 2nd in my age group of 60 – 64.  This was also my last race in this age group since I turn 65 on Feb 10.   I think there were only two in my age group, and my speedy friend Woody, who runs way faster than me, took first in our age group.  Age group medals were given only to 1st place folks, but all participants did get a really nice finisher medal.

photo IMG_2181_zps8pdhbjid.jpg

When you are a slow runner like me in a small event, you are often running alone, lol

photo IMG_2183_zps4fmrlubv.jpg

photo IMG_2184_zps2i3cppla.jpg

photo IMG_2185_zpswkxdkbfv.jpg

photo IMG_2186_zpsayybp1fz.jpg

My speedy friend, Sammy, already heading to the finish

photo IMG_2187_zpsh8gr5f6q.jpg

My speedy friend, Woody (in black) who was first in my age group

photo IMG_2188_zps1gdj6nxn.jpg

Turn-round point volunteer.  Thanks, young lady, for standing out in the cold until the last person came along!

photo IMG_2189_zpskmrhs2po.jpg

Water stop.....no beer..   

photo IMG_2190_zpsfzb6pfxo.jpg

Funny sign: "Be faster than a Chancla."    In San Antonio, our Triple-A major league baseball team - formerly the San Antonio Missions - is now the Flying Chanclas.   A Chancla, if I remember correctly, is what most people call a 'flip-flop".

photo IMG_2191_zpsziwfbqy4.jpg

75 and going strong!  You go, sir!

photo IMG_2192_zpsrunzmy9n.jpg

photo IMG_2193_zpsog3x6e4w.jpg

Apparently local running club San Antonio Runners had an event out there too...their signs were still up

photo IMG_2194_zps3piurcqx.jpg

photo IMG_2195_zpsxgvvpjml.jpg

photo IMG_2196_zpslz1ncrep.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got back into my dry base layer and cap I had set aside for when I was done and felt much warmer.  Then it was wandering around for a bit, chatting with friends and other participants, enjoying some of the post-race goodies and getting some various photos.   Not too many photos, as this was a small event and several people who had not placed headed out pretty quick, probably to get out of the cold.   I was lucky; since I am a member of the YMCA, I was able to use the Y branch that is located in the park to take a hot shower and change into dry clothes so I did not have to drive home in my sweaty running stuff.  Even in cold weather, I sweat like crazy when I run.

Some of the goodies.  I am probably one of the few people that don't like cupcakes, lol.  But I indulged in a donut or two.

photo IMG_2197_zpsc1diblto.jpg

photo IMG_2198_zpsfsun9sew.jpg

Two speedy people, friend Sammy and his wife.  I think she actually beat Sammy into the finish.  Jackie was first overall female finisher.

photo IMG_2199_zpswjxvtvmu.jpg

Third overall male finisher,  Congrats!

photo IMG_2204_zps5dfjniwo.jpg

Had a nice chat with these guys. OK, I talked their ears off.....but they were polite about it.

photo IMG_2200_zpsjqp9ti1r.jpg

photo IMG_2201_zpsanf0txre.jpg

photo IMG_2202_zpsuj6qchfm.jpg

MY super power is listening to my wife.   I've learned a thing or two in 34 years of marriage. 

photo IMG_2203_zpsxn03vnyj.jpg

Way go to, sir!  75 isn't slowing him down any.

photo IMG_2205_zpsxobdj1uj.jpg

The medal all finishers got

photo IMG_2207_zpsrycs41yc.jpg

EPILOGUE

I like this event and, as a person with some disability myself, this is a personal cause for me.  This event is often done around the same day as the local Kinetic Kids 5K – which supports kids with disabilities, another personal cause for me – so I usually alternate year-to-year doing these two events and this year it was the turn of Cupid’s Chase.  This is an enjoyable event at a great location – lots of facilities at the park, including good restrooms, water fountains, a covered pavilion for activities, etc. – and I certainly will continue doing it in the future and would recommend it to others.  Local race management company iRun Texas did their usual great job.  Nice quality long-sleeved race shirt and finisher medals to all.

Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for we participants, and a big thanks to all the volunteers out there for us who had to sit around or stand for a while in that cold for us before, during, and after the race.  At least we participants got to keep moving. Thanks to the Park Police officer out there for us, and all the sponsors, vendors, park employees, our music man, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt