Beginners and Beyond

NYCM resolution: full refund or automatic (paid entry) through 2015 (Read 390 times)

Per Runner's World. You can also chose entry into the 2013 half.

meaghansketch

Thank you for posting this!

Here's the entire bit from NYRR: 

MARATHON RUNNERS
        2012 Marathoners may choose one of the following options:

• Option #1 – Refund. While NYRR has always had a no-refund policy for the Marathon, given these extraordinary circumstances, we are offering runners who were entered in the 2012 Marathon, and were unable to run due to the cancellation 1,  the opportunity to obtain a full refund of their 2012 Marathon entry fee (excluding the $11 processing fee);  OR
        • Option #2 – Guaranteed entry to the ING New York City Marathon for 2013, 2014, or 2015. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the Marathon for the year they choose. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application (in the given year), with fees maintained at the same rate as those paid in 2012; OR
        • Option #3 – Guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013. Entrants in the 2012 Marathon who choose this option will be granted guaranteed entry to the NYC Half 2013, to be run on March 17, 2013. Runners will be required to pay all processing and entry fees at the time of application. Availability will be limited.

CHARITY RUNNERS
        All runners who signed up to run the 2012 Marathon on behalf of Team for Kids or one of the official ING New York City Marathon charities and obtained their entry from NYRR will be offered the same options. The fundraising you did in connection with the 2012 Marathon will entitle you to any of the options above.  If your 2012 Marathon entry fee was paid through your charity partner, you will be contacted directly by your charity.

INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL PARTNERS
        All international runners who gained entry to the 2012 Marathon as part of a travel package with an official ING New York City Marathon International Travel Partner will be contacted directly by their International Travel Partner representative to facilitate their options.

Docket_Rocket

They just posted it on their FB page too (NYCM).

I think it has a good spread of options.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nasreddin Hoja

wow, I've got my shirt and race swag and get a full refund.

I'd already committed to some stuff next year so no 2013 Marathon for me.  I should've realized this was coming.  I was at a Party last night, there was a woman there who works at NYRR, she seemed bubbling like there was something she wanted to tell me.  Since I'd never met her before, I assumed I was imagining it. 

I've done 12 + 1 and have a guarantee anyway.  Good for NYRR  to start to move on! 

Meanwhile, I pulled up the page for the Shelter Island 10k and it said NYRR was a "new partner".    Does anyone know what would that mean?   

http://www.shelterislandrun.com/

Chairman

I am sure it took quite a bit of number crunching to figure out what they would be able to accommodate in terms of refunds or guaranteed entries to one of their events. At first glance, I think this ought to give people some satisfactory options. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Docket_Rocket

And at least it spreads the free entries for several years rather than getting saddled with a marathon with no income for next year (from free entries, mostly).

I wonder how many of the registrants will move their registration to 2-3 years from now.  If I already traveled to NY for the marathon, that's what I would do.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

And at least it spreads the free entries for several years rather than getting saddled with a marathon with no income for next year (from free entries, mostly).

I wonder how many of the registrants will move their registration to 2-3 years from now.  If I already traveled to NY for the marathon, that's what I would do.

Damaris, they aren't offering free entries to anyone.

Chairman

Article did not mention any free entries. It's refund or guaranteed entry to a future race, but you pay. I would think this is to balance the financial hit from having to refund some entries with the repercussions of having to allocate more guaranteed entry spots in the marathon. I would doubt they can afford to refund or give a free entry to everyone, so they are spreading the pain and hoping the resources they have will be able to cover everyone. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

delicate flower

Seems like a fair solution to me. 

I'd take Option 2.

<3

Seems like a fair solution to me. 

I'd take Option 2.

I think if it were me I would take my money back, but I live right near the park and can do 9+1 for guaranteed entry whenever.

Docket_Rocket

Damaris, they aren't offering free entries to anyone.

When I meant free is a free registration spot.  Of course you would have to pay for the registration.  I've never seen a free comped registration for big races.  BUt my bad for not specifying what I meant.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

catwhoorg

Labrat

That seems like a fair response to a very unique situation.

I do like them spreading the 'hold over' entries over the next few years. Hopefully that will reduce the registration pressure on 2013.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

meaghansketch

It's certainly much more than I was expecting.  I had done 9 of the 9+1 at the time of the cancellation and did my +1 earlier this month, so I'll take the refund.  9+1 is easy for me so I'd rather have the money back than guaranteed entry.  I have to give them credit, though, working out a solution that I think most runners will think pretty fair (at least I think so).  International runners will still be out a bunch of travel expenses, but I think all things considered, it's a good solution. 

Seems like as fair a way to resolve things as possible without the whole thing going under. I especially like that there are several options.

I just don't get all the whining on the facebook page about people feeling like the "have to pay twice"...if you don't like option #2 (guaranteed entry in a future NYCM but being asked to pay entry at the 2012 rate), then get your full refund via option #1 and STFU. For people who don't like option #1 because they paid a lot of money to travel to NYC, they can't seriously expect NYRR to somehow reimburse peoples' travel expenses can they?..so again, STFU! (I guess I'm grumpy this morning).

Overcoming sarcoidosis one step at a time...