Beginners and Beyond

May Day Friday Penguins (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning Scotty, Out for 5 in a bit.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today and I have the day off, as I am at the house today in 'waiting mode" for the shredder truck to show up and get rid of some old documents for me and Gail.  Very convenient that they come right to the house and you don't have to haul anything anywhere.

Nice run/walk in a local park yesterday, my favorite park.  However, it did turn into a little bit of an adventure for me, lol.  Some of the trails were quite slick with all the rain we had this past week and last weekend, and the park creek was overflowing in some places, so I had to 'negotiate" some of the trails a bit.  Also, the park deer for some reason seemed to be out in force.  So I ended up being knocked on my keister twice by deer leaping across the trail in front of me; slipped on one trail and did a splash-down in a giant puddle; and - with only about 1/4 mile left before I finished, hit a root and and down I went, banging my right knee on a rock on the way down....ouch!   Thankfully, it was not too bad and I was able to continue the rest of my run with no major discomfort.

This is what it looked like when I got home...

photo 001 3_zpszsmpvpc4.jpg

Didn't look too bad after I got it cleaned up, but still is a bit sore....and right below the bottom of it I have a nice little swollen "bump' on my knee.

photo 003 3_zpsu60wbkx4.jpg

Except for the slight knee damage, the run was actually quite a blast and lots of  fun!  And the knee seems to be okay, I can walk normally with no limp or any side effects that I''ve noticed, and was able to run too, so  it's all good.    Good thing too, because I have two races this weekend.  No big deal, though, worse comes to worse, I'll just walk them a lot of the way.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Morning PAD, Scotty, and penguins yet to come!

5 easy this morning. Thought I'd feel sluggish after running a workout yesterday but my legs were raring to go, it was weird! Feels like a switch got flipped 2 weeks ago and higher mileage is suddenly feeling SO, so much easier.

As long as I don't get hurt during my race, I honestly don't think I'll have any problem working my way back up to 50 mpw after taking a recovery week or two, which would be awesome because then I can go into marathon training in August with a more solid base than I thought I would have.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Running to get my haircut (2ish miles) and then I'll run 3 or so after.  My hairdresser is just going to love me =P

Lauren - it is excellent that things have just "clicked" for you.  I hope that happens for me soon.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Ouch, Scotty!  Hopefully it's just a scrape and you won't have any real discomfort when you run!

Last night I ran 3 here, then 3.5 to the running club picnic, then 3.5 back home. Smile  Today I just have a regular old 6-8 after work.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.

Glad you survived the deer attack Scotty.

SRD.  We will drive up to Kenosha early today and visit the Civil War Museum.  Packet pickup is conveniently located at our hotel.  Only goal is to finish and qualify for Half Fanatics.

Have a great weekend !!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Happy May Day, Penguins!!  Well, I had called my PT yesterday because one of the exercises she wants me to do is just too difficult for me with the black stretchy band, so I wanted to get a less stiff band.  She approved it and I called my husband and asked him to pick it up for me.  He completely forgot, so I just called him and reminded him.  He said, "I will remember to do that."  I said, "I don't want you to remember to do that.  I want you to go upstairs, get your wallet, get in the car, and go pick it up now."  Sometimes he's a dork, but I'll keep him anyway.  Besides, he's doing the exercises with me now, and they're giving him an absolutely adorable butt!!  The AC guys just finished installing my new parts, so it should be nice and cool again in an hour or so, woo-hoo!!

PAD -- enjoy your 5!!

scotty -- nice road rash!!  Sorry your were having such trouble staying upright ...

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your awesome legs and rocking mileage!!

sapf -- laughing at your hairdresser's reaction!!  They're always impressed that I walk to my appointment, when it's two blocks from my lab.  Seriously, like anybody would drive that.  It's more trouble to get out the car and find a parking spot!!

Zelanie -- Enjoy your regular 6-8!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 7 miles tonight.

Scotty, ouch!  Take care of the knee!

Hope, glad to hear your husband cooperated.  LOL.  Hope it helps.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, at least you won't be too sweaty after just 2 miles. Smile

Scotty - ouch!

PAD, hope you had a good 5.

Lauren, I'm glad your running is going so well!

Damaris, enjoy the run and pilates tonight.

Hopesmom, hurray for working AC.

Zel, I just saw the Garden Gnome race in your sig. That sounds like fun!  I am searching for just the right gnome for my new yard. The only place I've seen these recently is Sears, and somehow a Sears gnome just doesn't sound right.

Jerry, have fun today.  Which fanatic level are you going for? I'm eligible for the 6-in-6-months level but just never got around to signing up. 

8.2 easy miles done this morning.  My foot doesn't hurt when I run, only when I flex it.  So unless it gets worse I'll rule out the stress fracture for now. Smile  I'm going to eat a burger with my daughter and some friends at 11AM.  My favorite burger place is having an anniversary special and the burgers are only $2 from 11AM-1PM!  (these are normally $9 burgers).  Since our kitchen demolition was finished on Wednesday, I'm looking for all the cheap food I can find for the next 3 weeks. Big grin

GinnyinPA

Scotty - only you would get run over by two different deer in one run.  I hope the knee is all right.  That was a hard run last night.

PAD - I hope the 5 went well.

Lauren - I sometimes get sudden improvements in my pace, seemingly out of nowhere but really the result of all the miles before.  It's great that you're finding the higher miles so easy.

Jill - I've thought of running to get a hair cut, but it's about 7-8 miles from home to the shopping center, and I know I wouldn't be welcome in close proximity.

Z - that sounds like a fun way to do your 10 miles, and with a running group, arriving hot and sweaty is lauded, not booed.  Have fun tonight.

Jerry - have fun at your race tomorrow.  I didn't realize you were going for HM fanatics, but you do race often and in many states, so it makes sense.

HM - I hope your husband doesn't get distracted and forget.  Good luck with your PT.  I hope it's helping.

D - enjoy your miles and Pilates tonight.

Brilliant - if the foot doesn't hurt when you run, it's not broken.  Good job on the early 8.  I hope the burger was good.

AFM:  Rest day here. I'm following the Higdon post-marathon plan, for now at least. I'm not really hurting, just tired.    It is the weekend of the annual neighborhood yard sale, so our two mile walk with Ben was very slow.  He loved all the attention he was getting.