Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins (Read 10 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi Pens!

It looks like I'll be doing my long run today once I get DH off to work.

This weekend was interesting.  Saturday was my 5th wedding anniversary with DH.  We had a fancy pants dinner in the village.  I'm going to miss NYC when we move but I'm excited to have space (a little yard, more than one bedroom).  We also found out that my sister is separating from (most likely divorcing) her husband.  I feel so bad for her :-(  I wonder if there's anything I can do to help her out right now.  She's going to see my other sister (who lives across the country) next weekend.  Maybe I'll see if she wants to run the NYCM and get her a charity bib (if they are still available) or maybe take her on a girl's vacation to someplace fun.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning Jill,

Congrats on the anniversary.

Today's a cross day so gym tonight.

And my 15 seconds of fame is out.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning Jill and PAD.

Happy 5th, Jill.  Have a good LR.

Looking good, PAD.

SRD for me.  Went to the gym for some strength machines.

Brilliant

Jill, happy anniversary.  It's hard about your sister.   I hope you can encourage her.

PAD, that's great.  Nice write-up.

Today is my 5-year runniversary.  I'm celebrating by not running - I'm going to yoga this morning.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH and I had a hard time waking up this morning, but we were rewarded with nice cool weather for our run.  We even slept with the windows open last night!!  It's not supposed to last, but we are supposed to get a couple more days of coolness, I think the low tonight is 60.  Woo-hoo!!

Jill -- sorry about your sister!!  My sister and her husband are separated, will divorce once they have enough cash for the lawyers (come to think of it, they might have already untied the knot).  My sister was pretty glad to see the back of her ex, though, so no advice here.

PAD -- enjoy the gym, and woo-hoo for your fame!!

Jerryb -- woo-hoo for your gym time, enjoy the SRD!!

Brilliant -- have fun yoga-ing and not running!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Okay well I got 8ish miles done.  Not quite as long as I'd hoped but I definitely missed a spot with my sunscreen and didn't want to get burnt to a crisp.

PAD - that's super cool

Jerry - what kind of machines do you use?

Allison - yeah I'll do my best.  Technically she hasn't told me about it yet, but my mom let me know because she didn't want me posting anything about my anniversary to facebook/upsetting my sister.  (Not that I'm really a power facebook user or anything)  I feel really bad though because we all had doubts but she just seemed so happy to be getting married that we didn't really talk to her about them beforehand.  I think she fell for the "he'll be better once we get married" fallacy.

HsM - I hope it'll be a quick and easy divorce for her.  Luckily they haven't been married very long - just over a year so she shouldn't have to pay him alimony.  At least that's the hope.

Zelanie

Congrats, PAD! I am sure your story will inspire many others!

Happy runniversary, Brill!

Jill, sorry to hear that. I bet that she will really appreciate hearing from you.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Busy day today.  First, a weekend in PR to see my mom out of the hospital after her brain surgery.  Then return home yesterday and seeing Rubio throwing up all weekend, I took him in this morning.  Meds and hoping he gets better now.

My feet are so swollen from the BP meds and the flight, it's not funny.

PAD, that is awesome.  Congrats!

Jill, sorry about your sister.

Brilliant, congrats on the runniversary.

Hello to all. Now I have a migraine, hozzah.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Jill - congratulations on the anniversary.  Sorry about your sister though; it can be hard to watch.  Just listen if she needs to talk and try to avoid saying, "We always thought it was a mistake," in case she decides to go back to him later.  Good job on the sunny eight.

PAD - if it's in a book, it's worth more than 15 seconds!  Congratulations.

Jerry - I hope the gym workout went well.

D- still having issues with the BP meds?  That could be a problem with all your destination races.Sorry about Rubio. Seems like your animals often get sick when you travel.  A little seperation anxiety maybe?

Brilliant - I started running in August of 2011 as well.

HopesMom - are you running again?  Congratulations!  How are the knees holding up?

Anyhow, I don't remember what I last posted, or when.  We got home on Friday, after three months wandering western Canada and Alaska.  It was a good trip, but got cut a bit short after I developed a painful ingrown toenail that made running and hiking impossible. I got it cut out this morning and was told I should be able to get back to running in a day or two.  After 3 weeks of almost no activity, I'm really looking forward to being able to run nd walk normally again.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Welcome back, Ginny.  Your trip makes our Oregon trip look like an overnighter.