Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Mascarita 5K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photos: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2054%20Mascarita%205K

BEFORE THE START

The inaugural Mascarita 5K was my 54th race of 2016. Held on the San Antonio Riverwalk, starting and finishing at the historic VFW Post 76, the oldest VFW post in Texas.  This race actually sold out - with a Riverwalk race you can only have so many participants due to the narrowness in some places along the Riverwalk, and also the paths are still open to other runners, walkers, tourists, etc. - so I was glad I had registered early for this one.  Start time was 7:30 a.m. - nice to have an early start, instead of the usual start times for most races that are between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. - so I showed up around 6:30 a.m. to get a nice parking spot and get some pre-start photos.

Me with my friend, Sandra, who is one of my personal inspirations.  She has rheumatoid arthritis and yet never gives up, staying as active as she can.  She walked this 5K in 43 minutes and change.

photo 002_zpsjxso3ear.jpg

My bud Karen and Sandra

photo 003_zpsxszote2d.jpg

Me and Karen

photo 006_zpsgbcbajw8.jpg

Our music and sound guys

photo 007_zpsmszpb9hj.jpg

Our course setup, timing, and results guys

photo 010_zpsqucpcnrc.jpg

Timing chips from these folks.  My friend here, Mini, told me this was her son...yeah, right...she must have had him when she was about 12 years old.....

photo 001_zpsav5dalhh.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc

photo 004_zpsudcabhat.jpg

photo 005_zpspowrbciw.jpg

photo 008_zpsj1dd31vc.jpg

photo 009_zpsn5yzmctj.jpg

photo 011_zpsljt1oshc.jpg

photo 012_zpsupzquxhk.jpg

photo 013_zpsc4sxkama.jpg

Some odd-skinned color folks...must be aliens visiting us...

photo 014_zps9kvnqhfn.jpg

Oh...that's better!  Guess it was just the light in the photo above.......or WAS it? 

photo 015_zpsw7v7rgtj.jpg

photo 016_zpso79ej3cs.jpg

If this looks a bit blurry to you...it is your eyes and not the guy who took the photo..   Me making myself look good by standing next to the beautiful Daisy.  Even blurry she looks good!

photo 017_zpsd6omrk8r.jpg

photo 018_zpslikveqm6.jpg

Beau the dog is quite relaxed, lol

photo 019_zpsbdbywkv4.jpg

photo 020_zpskd56zkcv.jpg

photo 021_zpsau57wkvb.jpg

photo 022_zpscafqwmnm.jpg

photo 023_zpskrnuazhk.jpg

photo 024_zpsbfjubrha.jpg

Getting ready to go...in front of the VFW

photo 025_zpsxqf6wulj.jpg

And behind me.....

photo 026_zpsmuexh5u0.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started at the VFW and then accessed the Riverwalk through a back gate at the VFW.  This gate was pretty narrow, so participants went in 'waves' of so many people to let everyone get spread out and not jam up the gate area.  The very speedy folks - the folks who usually are overall first, second, third, etc - were let go first, and then the rest of us were released in 'small groups" at a time.  Chip timed race, so it was all good.   Course was an out-and-back from the VFW, with participants heading in the direction of Pearl Brewery and Brackenridge Park area to start, to give you an idea for those of you knowing the San Antonio area.  It was a bit crowded at first, but soon spread out quite nicely.  I never saw anyone being interfered with, crowded, etc.  Everyone seemed to be in good spirits and, from the view I had at any given time, cooperated with each other, moving over for faster people coming up behind us, and so forth.

photo 027_zpsa6gndf91.jpg

photo 028_zpsuvwlzgud.jpg

photo 029_zpsnknfalr1.jpg

photo 030_zpsgan7bv82.jpg

photo 031_zpsnnpwjsqg.jpg

photo 032_zpsgxcxem2a.jpg

photo 033_zpssg4bldlz.jpg

photo 034_zpswtwedjef.jpg

photo 035_zpsi42xy7nt.jpg

photo 036_zpsnaaaf5fn.jpg

photo 037_zpsiqdkhtjd.jpg

photo 038_zpsfo1mferv.jpg

Karen going to the turn-round point.  She walked the course.

photo 039_zpskw6rvt29.jpg

Done!  Welcome back to the historic VFW Post 76...

photo 057_zpsrkvrid30.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Finished in 35:15, 4th in my 60 - 69 age group.  The guy who finished 3rd finished ahead of me by 1 minute exactly.  I knew I shouldn't have stopped and taken that last photo.    It's all good, I enjoyed myself.  And every participant got a finisher medal, so I still got a medal anyway.  Post-race stretching, rehydrated, sat on the VFW veranda enjoying a breeze for a few minutes, and then it was off to take some photos.

Nice finisher medal for participants.

photo 041_zpstwwvu1au.jpg

After stretching...sitting on the VFW porch....could tell there was a nice little breeze blowing up there...my sock capes were flowing, lol

photo 045_zpsqwbwcvxc.jpg

Volunteer who gave us our medals as we finished

photo 042_zpsjma6xb3z.jpg

Various finishers, supporters, volunteers, etc

photo 044_zpsupi82crt.jpg

photo 046_zpsbbfjciyl.jpg

photo 047_zpsywozhk2i.jpg

photo 048_zpsrfnxzziv.jpg

photo 049_zps2eirgpiy.jpg

photo 050_zpsu1y5zugk.jpg

photo 051_zpsejzmfi3c.jpg

photo 052_zpswqylgl8r.jpg

photo 053_zpsjhe1qxif.jpg

photo 054_zpsl0s8aude.jpg

photo 055_zpspz5hiy8k.jpg

photo 056_zpsidnlztmm.jpg

photo 058_zpscjozxgvj.jpg

photo 060_zpsjkwacuif.jpg

photo 061_zpshqtzhfnw.jpg

photo 062_zpsvgs4u4xu.jpg

photo 063_zpsu3bh0tsx.jpg

photo 064_zps09d7zgz9.jpg

photo 065_zpsnyqjfoqp.jpg

photo 066_zpsyugfqmlg.jpg

photo 067_zpsum4ypku8.jpg

photo 068_zpst7bgmayh.jpg

photo 069_zpsfxfojtkv.jpg

Close-up

photo 070_zps490hetb0.jpg

After I got home, I found my mask in a bag that a volunteer had given me when I finished the course....so naturally I had to try it out.  My wife took these 3 photos...with me holding a "skull"  Halloween-themed warmer (warms oils of various scents, putting a nice smell in a room, house, etc) that she has in her Scentsy business.   Nice touch, lol.

photo 071_zpsiuouftid.jpg

photo 072_zpsb3scgkm5.jpg

photo 073_zpsbuuicofi.jpg

EPILOGUE

A nice inaugural race along the scenic San Antonio Riverwalk.  The 'Wave Start" was a smart thing to do, as the entrance we used to access the Riverwalk was narrow; but it did slow down a few of the faster runners; maybe next time they can ask people to line up by pace, e.g., anyone doing a 7-minute mile...go now....8 minute mile...go now.. and so on and so on, which will allow the faster runners to stay ahead of the slower runners like me.  Still, it all worked out and I did not hear any complaints later - at least none of the people I talked to made any - about the 'wave' start.   Post race goodies were okay - kashi stuff, chips, nuts, bottled water - but some fresh fruits would be pretty good, like bananas and orange slices - and some beer would be nice.   One of the organizers told me they had talked to Alamo Beer but they were sponsoring something else that day, so I told them to think about Freetail Brewery as a sponsor too - andjokingly told them  tell Freetail that "Scottydog sent them", lol, as I've done a few photos for some of their sponsored events in the past.   Nice tech tee race shirt and a mask in the goodie bag too, keeping with the theme of the race, very original touch.   For a first-time race, the organizers 'done good" and as they get the hang of it as they go along this one will probably even get better.  I definitely would do this one again and would recommend it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Is there a story behind the masks, or just something different and sorta Halloweenish?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Is there a story behind the masks, or just something different and sorta Halloweenish?

Mexican Wrestling theme.  Apparently, some of the Mexican wrestlers wear these type masks when they are in the ring.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt