Beginners and Beyond

Another Penguin Monday (Read 7 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

4 this morning after it gets a little warmer. We started race season at work so today is my Saturday.

Ginny, I'm running Marine Corp in Oct. Runcoach.com had a deal for $20 so I signed up to try it out. Seems like the workouts are a little tough being this far out but they're not that bad and feel good.

Docket_Rocket

Morning. On my way to SC for work. 7 miles later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!!  My potential quartet lunch was quite nice -- lots of good discussion with the three of us, and a proposal for a bass.  Now we'll see if our handpicked low voice agrees to join us!!  Plus I had the most yummy cashew nut chicken I've had in forever.

Cold and rainy here, so I will be doing cold and rainy things.  Blech.  Isn't it almost May?  Those spring flowers ought to be awesome this year!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for MCM!!  Hopefully the workouts make you strong!

Docket -- enjoy SC!!  And have a good 7 ... TM, I'm guessing?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I did a 1.5 hour dog waddle this morning ;-)

PAD I've heard good things about Marine Corps. Have you run it before?

DR - have fun in SC. At least it'll be a little cooler?

HsM - is this another quartet? How many singing groups are you involved with?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Jill - No this will be my first time running it. It's one of the two on my Bucket list to run. The other one would be Boston but that will have to be a charity run if ever.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning Pens!

I did a 1.5 hour dog waddle this morning ;-)

PAD I've heard good things about Marine Corps. Have you run it before?

DR - have fun in SC. At least it'll be a little cooler?

HsM - is this another quartet? How many singing groups are you involved with?

Well, let's see.  My old quartet is dissolved, so that just leaves church choir, church music team, chorus, and this new quartet.  Hoping I can pick up another new quartet, but that will just have to wait -- I'm not actively seeking it out, just letting it be known that I'm available and interested.

Basically I work, eat, and sing. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

PAD - that is really early to be starting marathon training.  Do they give you the plan ahead of time or just one week at a time?

D - good luck with your case in SC. Will you be near Myrtle Beach? How long will you be there?

HopesMom - that a lot of rehearsals. Good luck with your new quartet.

Jill - Good job on the dog jog.

Another rainy day here. I don't know if I'll run on the TM or take a rest day.

Docket_Rocket

No, not near Myrtle Beach. I am in columbia until Thursday. Still stuck at Charlotte, sigh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

PAD - that is really early to be starting marathon training.  Do they give you the plan ahead of time or just one week at a time?

The whole plane is online but it's dynamic so it can change based on performance. It doesn't start increasing mileage until August so for now it's just base and speed. Right now longest run is only 18 and It tops out at 51 miles for a week.

It seems based more on time than distance but it gives me exact paces to run. Today was 40-45 minutes at 10:51, about 4 miles but if I improve it might be 40-45 at 10:30 in a couple of weeks maybe 4.5

Yesterdays speed workout was

Assigned Distance: 6-7 miles

1. Warm up: Jog 1.75 mi very easy; 7 Drills + 3 Strides (100 meters or 25 seconds)
                      2. Workout:
                        1. 1 set:
                          • Run 800m in 4:52 ( 9:48/mi )
                          • Jog for 2:00
                        2. Run 1mi in 10:51 ( 10:51/mi )
                        3. 1 set:
                          • Run 800m in 4:52 ( 9:48/mi )
                          • Jog for 2:00
                      3. Cool down: Jog 1.5 mi very easy; Good Stretch

Not very fast I know but for me they are a bit challenging but exceeding my ability.

I like that it gives me the exact paces, I can never remember my easy, MP,  tempo paces and they can change based on your training.  Plus $20 for 6 months worth of training is a great deal. I think it's normally $20 a month.

GinnyinPA

That would be a good one for working on controlling your pace.  Last summer I did a run in Alaska on a bike path that was about 8 miles. I did one mile easy, one moderately hard, one easy, one moderately hard, etc. I wasn't aiming for specific paces, just control. The miles flew by. I don't think I could be quite as precise as your plan calls for though. When running hills, as I usually do around here, it's hard to stay on pace.

PADRunner

That would be a good one for working on controlling your pace.  Last summer I did a run in Alaska on a bike path that was about 8 miles. I did one mile easy, one moderately hard, one easy, one moderately hard, etc. I wasn't aiming for specific paces, just control. The miles flew by. I don't think I could be quite as precise as your plan calls for though. When running hills, as I usually do around here, it's hard to stay on pace.

Oh I'm nowhere near dead on.   I probably vary +/- .2 but it averages out usually a little below. I just like a fixed target to try to hit.

It does seem to make the miles go by faster, and the drills before put a little pep in your stride to start out.