Beginners and Beyond

Race #75 for year 2017 - Boxer Boogie 5K and 3K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My 75th race of 2017 was The Boxer Boogie 5K held on Sunday, Oct 29.  Location was Woodlawn Lake, a pretty little park with a hike-bike-run trail that goes around the lake.  This event supported Boxer Rescue, which tries to save and find good homes for boxers in need of rescuing and adoption.  Small event, about 200 or so registered, both runners and walkers for the 5K and the non-timed 3K.    It was pretty darn chilly for we South Texans too, around 39 degrees at 8:30 start time.  However, it was a bright sunny day with just about no wind at all to that helped.   Still, I was glad I had on a base layer, especially as I take walk breaks when I run, so that helped keep me from getting chilled.

Full report below.

Here is the link to the photos:   https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155903537222082.1073741836.592077081&type=1&l=79ea9d7348

BEFORE THE START

I got to the event with about 40 minutes to go to start time and wandered around taking some photos.  There was a dog-costume contest which was pretty interesting, seeing what the dogs and some of the people were wearing.

ON THE COURSE

We did a little loop in the parking lot and then onto the trails.  Circled around the lake, another little loop through the parking lot - to make sure we had a full 3.1 miles - and then a second loop around the lake, and then turn into the main entrance of the park and go directly to the finish line.   I really do not like running around in circles - hence I hate the track - but I had not realized the city really renovated this park a lot, making it quite nice, and the trail curved here and there around the lake - with some nice views of the lake too - so it did not feel like you were a white lab rat going round-and-round.  I was very impressed with the park's quality and would even run here again.  I ended up with a time of 33 minutes and change.  Did not place, as this was a pretty small event so my age group was 40 - 99, lol.  Tight budget for this race too - and I get that; let the money go to the cause - so only the top 3 males and females got an award.  Okay by me, I don't expect to get anything anyway.  If I do, well, then, nice bonus.

AFTER THE FINISH

All kind of vendors giving away stuff.  There were these mini dog biscuits that PetSmart had - perfect for me when I run as they fit better in my Race Ready shorts pockets - and had one, lol...they actually were not bad, tasted kinda like a cookie! I am going to get some of those to carry when I run - for the dogs I meet, of course.

EPILOGUE

I have done this one a few times in the past; very nice event for a worthy cause; hopefully it will get more participants; and this was one of the only events done on this weekend Sunday; however, lots of locals runners are training for the San Antonio RnR Marathon and Half, so as we are getting closer - Dec 2 and Dec 3 are the event dates - lots of our locals are doing their long runs on Sunday now.  Even so, all good, as said nice little event at a scenic little park.  There was also a post-race raffle - I didn't win nuthin, lol - and breakfast tacos from local eatery Taco Cabana.   I would definitely do this one again.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Lots of fun costumes on the dogs. Nice.