Beginners and Beyond

foot pod calibration (Read 7 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I decided to do a few calibrations of my foot pod on yesterday's run. I even had pencil & paper to write down the different calibration factors it gave me. I was doing this using GPS, inside lane of a track is not an option right now. Not sure you can even find the inside lane of any local tracks. Anyway, the first time I calibrated it, I got a calibration factor of 1038. It was a semi-straight road, sort of downhill and I was doing about 9mm. Yesterday I was doing an easier pace (10:30-11:30mm). The calibration factor (4 times) was all in the 865-880 range. So this is quite a difference.

Anyone who uses these, have you ever gotten wildly different numbers? I am wondering if this was due to not being on a flat or straight road, so my gait changed on uphills? The route I used back in November was not possible due to icy sidewalks......

Cyberic

Calibration will change every time you change the fp from one shoe to another, and even on the same shoe, if you put it somewhere else on the shoe laces, that will change the calibration.

Uphill running will definitely change the calibration of the fp by a lot. What is the fp going to be used for? Indoor track? TM? Those are pretty flat surfaces, right? Wink

I gave up on precise fp calibration, as I would have to calibrate it every time I use it, at the pace I will be running that given day. So I would recommend calibrating it at MP on a flat surface. It won't be far from your Easy pace gait, and not too far from your interval running gait. Close enough, IMO.

onemile

The footpod calibrations never were very accurate for me.  I think it's sort of accurate if you're running the exact same pace as when you calibrated it.  But sort of accurate means +/- about 15 seconds per mile.  It can vary even more than that running significantly faster than the pace you calibrated it and mine seems to be even worse on the treadmill.  Up to +/- 30 seconds per mile.

Typically if I run 8 miles, it will usually measure that I ran around 8.5 miles.  So... kind of close but it isn't anything I would use to gauge my paces or my fitness.  As flattering as the numbers it gives me are.

If I am at the indoor track, I press the lap button and then adjust my splits after.  If on the treadmill, I just adjust my total distance after and note the paces I used.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Foot pod is used 100% of time on treadmill. I may put it back to the first calibration, that seemed to match the effort level, most of the time. Hopefully the necessity of using the treadmill will end soon. Although we are supposed to get up to 1/4 inch of ice today, so maybe not.

Docket_Rocket

Footpod was never accurate for me either.  I had the same experience as onemile.  It started being off by 0.02, second mile by 0.10.  By the end of the run, I would be off by 1/2 mile or more on the TM.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page