Beginners and Beyond

15K next week - advice for this weekend (Read 35 times)

No more marathons

I have a 15K race next weekend and am looking for some advice on my workout this weekend.

Over the past 8 months I've run three marathons, a 5K (near old man PR) and a 10K (old man PR).  Both the 5K and the 10K were in the midst of marathon training so no specific training for those events.

My running since my last marathon at the beginning of March has been lower mileage (25 to 30 per week) but at a faster average pace.

My goal for the 15K will be based on McMilan's calculation from my last 10K - a 7:32 pace.  So here's my question regarding my last semi hard workout this weekend.  I plan to do 8 to 10 miles with three by a mile and 1/2 recovery at goal pace.  Will this be too much of a stress the week before the race or will this be about right.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

I would love that workout but as you mentioned, your mileage is a bit too low at this point so this workout might be overwhelming now (unless you're following a plan, in which case I would say follow it).  Can you do 8 with 3 X mile instead?  Or if you decide upon the 10, do 2 X mile instead.

Good luck next weekend!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

Let's see:

2 mile warm up +

3 x 1 mile @ goal pace with 1/2 mile recoveries +

2 mile cool down =

8.5 miles

That's not bad but the only thing I'd do differently is cut the recoveries to 1/4 mile.  15K race pace is roughly tempo pace so there's no need for a half mile of recovery.  You should be more than ready to do another mile after a 1/4 mile recovery.  If you're not, then you may need to adjust your goal pace.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

That's not bad but the only thing I'd do differently is cut the recoveries to 1/4 mile.  15K race pace is roughly tempo pace so there's no need for a half mile of recovery.  You should be more than ready to do another mile after a 1/4 mile recovery.  If you're not, then you may need to adjust your goal pace.

No issues there, except I would probably do a 3:00 recovery as opposed to a 400 meter one, which would take me between 2:00-2:15.  So an extra 45 seconds of recovery for me and we're golden.

No more marathons

Thanks all.  Yeah, the recovery most likley only needs to be a quarter.  Just for chuckles I might use my HRM to gauge the recovery.

One thing the workout will tell me is the likleyhood that I can do the 15K at that pace.  My 10K was three months ago and I haven't slacked off too much since then.  I did a workout two weeks ago that included a 2 mile warm up, then two at 8:20, two at 8:10 and two at 7:50 and then two mile cool down at 8:30.  That workout left me a bit spent for a few days but this should be easier and still let me get the feel of race pace.

The course has about 1,400 feet of ups and downs, so it will be a little challenging - but most of it is my "home" course so I run parts of it at least once a week.  Been a looooong time since I've raced this distance.  Should prove interesting.

Right now there are only about 40 signed up for the 15K (couple hundred running the 5K).  Likely to be lonely out there.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Did the workout this AM.  2 mile warm up then 3 X mile at goal pace (7:32)  Recovery after first was about .4 miles - waited until HR got below 128 (recovery) - took long because I didn't slow down too much for the first quarter - go figure.  First mile was 7:30, second was 7:35 and that included a BFH (about 80 feet in less than a quarter mile) at the end.  This hill will be in mile 1 of the 15K next saturday.  I won't run it as hard in the race as I did today.  Third mile was 7:25 with a net drop of about 65 feet.  Don't think there will be any problem with recovery - didn't feel that hard.  But at the same time, don't know how I'd keep that pace for the whole race.  And with limited participants it will be difficult to keep the motivation going.  Oh well, guess just need to wait and see.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Quick update - race was well organized and lots of fun.  Dispite the low turnout I had two runners with me through 4.5 miles.  Got some separation and then ran scared for last 2 miles.  Finished in 1:10:36 over a moderately difficult course.  5th Overall and 1st masters.  Not bad for an old fart.

He's a leaker!