Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins, hallooooooooo!!! (Read 18 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Long night last night, both disappointing and enjoyable.  Gail and I attended the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA, team name RoadRunners) football game last night.  We started at the pre-game Alumni Association party...for members, free beer, wine, soda, or water, and a plate of food - kiolbassa sausage, potato salad, beans (I passed on the beans), accompanied by live music, raffle for prizes, and various games to play (bean-bag toss, golf putt, etc).  Nice atmosphere to begin.   Then into the stadium for the game.

UTSA played U. of Arizona Wildcats, a team that has had a program since 1899, and is a very talented team, ranked 41 by USA and 43 by CBS Sports.  I kinda thought we'd pretty much get blown away - and that seemed to be the case when Arizona scored a touchdown in the first 18 seconds of the game, with a run-back on their very first play.  But our "Runners", bless 'em, hung in there and we even had the lead at one point.  The game went right down to the last seconds, 26 - 23, Arizona, and we were driving, when our quarterback made a mistake and Arizona intercepted to put the game away.  Disappointing for we "Runners' fans - we almost had another big upset for 2nd week in a row, after beating Houston last week - but also a proud moment for us too.    The fans let the team know how we felt too - we knew we'd lost but, proud that our team had done so well against such a talented opponent, lots of fans stood after the clock hit zeroes and chanted UTSA! UTSA! UTSA!"   Quite an emotional moment.  Final score 26 - 23.  Most of the sports stories reported that Arizona "escaped" with a victory over - as one sports analyst I heard on TV later put it - "tiny little UTSA - looks like they're for real."  Not bad for a football program that is only in its 4th year.

Gail and I got home near midnight.  My boss kindly gave me the day off today, so I slept in a little, and then went to Lackland Air Force Base and put in 3.2 miles.  I did my run/walk about 9:30 a.m.  Kind of late for a Texas morning run, temp was already in the low 80s, and since storms were threatening, the humidity was already in the 80 percentile and the dew-point in the upper 70s.  I was drenched in sweat by the time I finished and took a nice, refreshing COLD shower post-run.   Now I'm just enjoying the rest of my day off, playing on the computer, watching TV, and napping off-and-on in my chair. It's quite nice, actually, just having a 'lazy day."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Office yoga, done!

Scotty, sounds like your boys know how to play the game -- never give up!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

Office yoga, done!

Scotty, sounds like your boys know how to play the game -- never give up!

Is that a YAW?

RD for me today. Used my birthday coupon at Blue Mesa Grill for Dinner tonight. Gotta run extra tomorrow!