Beginners and Beyond

Monday morning penguins are asleep in their igloos (Read 22 times)

Dad on the run.

Jack - Good job on the half!

Awood - THose conditions sound brutal, I'm sure that played into your time more than your weight / TM running.

AFM - only 16.5 miles last week. I think running 31 the week before wasn't the best idea I've had. I felt great that week but I think that the increase in miles did a number on my calves and achilles. I didn't run any this weekend and just enjoyed the beautiful weather with my family. Going to attempt running tonight and see how I'm feeling. I'm going to just take it easy and rest / heal up since I have a 5k race this weekend.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

jblack - I've had my share of achilles and calf issues.  I still haven't found a way to get rid of it, but just manage it.  Make sure to roll your calfs, stretch and take good care of yourself.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

SheCan, I am only running now.   congrats on the race!  RR in 3, 2, 1...

Ginny, the pain is really the adductors so I'm stretching them especially after cycling workouts.

LOL@ only running now!?!?  How longs it been since surgery?  30 minutes?    Honestly, you're so quick jumping from one race to the next, you're not used to having to take time to totally heal up, but surgery is different.  The fact that you're running this soon is quite surprising.  Take care of yourself.

Jimmy-- a little rest this week will probably do your upcoming race some good.  Doing that higher mileage week in there will probably helped you get a pretty good peak in. and, hopefully, you'll pull off a good time and possible PR next weekend.

Thanks everyone for the congrats.  I love you guys!  You're the best!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Lot of catching up to do after being away from work for 3 days last week!  Just now getting to my lunch and to the forum.  How rude of work interrupting my forum time!    I did get a nice 3.2 miles in on Sunday, around 1 p.m.   Since it was a bit windy and rainy and chilly (for we South Texans anyway, only 48 degrees) the park was pretty much deserted, I had the place just about all to myself, making for a very peaceful and relaxing run on some natural trails.  Nice!    Today is a rest day.  And we're still having rain and crappy weather today too, bummer. Although we do need the rain, the city has been under water usage restrictions for about a year now.

What is the point of the time change anyway?  Some states (Hawaii and Arizona, I think) don't even use it  do they?   Good luck with your miles today, Zelanie.

Same for us, HsM..Spring Break and campus is nice and quiet. Staff is still as busy as ever, though.  I think we should get a spring break too.

Happy running again, Damaris!

Morning Zel, yesterday was very slow in the igloo too. I'll be racing this weekend too, and I've been scratching my head how to run my miles this week.  Well, Mitch, with your legs would be good...

Sounds like you've overcome all those aches, Lauren!  Happy running!  Bet you're happy to be able to run outside again, too.

Congrats on your marathon, Jack!  Wow, 80 degrees...I think you're now ready to do the San Antonio marathon then!

Awood, good luck with your weight loss goals and your upcoming races!  I think once Mother Nature decides to quick kicking snow and cold in your face you will be able to get to where you want to pretty quickly once you can get out there on a regular basis.

Bruised toenails are okay, Cherie, just as long as the Great Legs are not damaged.    Congrats on your race, glad everything went well for you!

Hope you are having a happy monday, Ginny!

only 16.5 miles last week.  Shoot, Jimmy, that would be a high mileage week for me, lol!  It's hard to build up weekly mileage when you can only run 4 days a week (per my doctor) and your "only ONE allowed per week" (again per my doc) LONG run of the week (which is not really long at all, lol, compared to what the rest of you are doing) can only go up to no more than 6 miles.  I usually end up with 14 - 18 miles for the week.   You are doing just fine!  Good luck with that upcoming 5K.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the weekend races Cherie, AWood, and Jack.

Back to work day for me  :-P   First run since Friday in Key West.  Perfect running weather an I felt good, but aborted after 2 miles.  Was running a little faster than usual in the K3's and out of no where, pain started on the sides of my tibia/fibula  a few inches below the knee.  Running it off didn't work and neither did walking.    Okay to put weight on, just hurts to flex the leg.  Never happened before. Clueless !!!

Treating with Beericin now.

BTW, Miami RR is up if you didn't see it yet.  Bad news is I think I left the race bibs on the ship.

hog4life

For Cherie and Ginny, I am racing a 5k called the Rumpshaker. The proceeds go to colorectal cancer awareness programs, encourages the screenings and such. With my colon cancer, this will be one race that I will always do if I'm able. There will be a FE with Jimmy, and lunch afterwards. I will also be meeting rivercityrunner, he used to post on RW, but doesn't post on RA much; he is on my miles game team. I've met him a couple of times before, he is also running the Oak Barrel with Awood, me, and about 16 of my other running friends that live here local.

Jack, awesome time for a little jog.

Lauren, you are doing so well, don't let the mileage sneak up and cause another injury.

I got off my lazy butt and did the interval workout, 6x1200's, with a mile WU and a mile CD. I stopped my watch at the end of 8 miles(to get an accurate time) for the intervals, then reset it, and did another 1.5, so, 9.5 miles total. Here are the splits for the 8 miles, OA was 8:55. Mile 1-9:49, 2-8:18, 3-8:20, 4-8:33, 5-8:35, 6-8:51(hill), 7-8:35, 8-9:17. The 1/4 mile recoveries were done in the 9:30-10:30 range, I targeted the intervals at 7:30-8:00, but it looks like they might have been a bit faster. I will most likely target an 8:25-8:30 pace for the Oak Barrel Half and hope I can keep up with Awood.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I'm glad your area is getting some much needed rain, even though it does make for uncomfortable runs.  And you do very well on your 4 days a week.

Jerry - I hope the shin issue resolves itself pretty quickly.  How weird.

Mitch - good job on the intervals.  I've avoided speed work, except informally, because I'm so worried about injury.  I'm okay being slow.  Nice that you're getting so many FEs in your races.

AFM:  Only 4.5 today, followed by yoga.  It was a sunny 55 degrees, so I ran in shorts and a tshirt for the first time in many months.  My legs felt slow and heavy, but I still kept running too fast.  I'm not sure what was going on, but I couldn't slow down until I hit a couple of good hills.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch - I might be trying to keep up with you.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

Mitch - I might be trying to keep up with you.

We should just run the whole thing together and see what happens. Rivercityrunner will be much faster than me(us), and of the 16 other friends running with us, maybe 2 of them will hang with us.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm going to stash a bicycle along the course.  I should be able to make up a lot of time on the back half.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

I'm going to stash a bicycle along the course.  I should be able to make up a lot of time on the back half.

LMAO!!