Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies 12/27 (Read 37 times)

From the Internet.

I slept in and missed the group tempo I wanted to run this morning Sad Dragged my butt out the door for 10 with 6 at MP in 55 degrees with an active wind advisory - surprisingly good run, 7:55 average for the 6. Went into Boston to meet internet friends for lunch after that and wandered around the city for a bit. Fun day Smile

Runshortii

3 miles and core.  25 degrees and windy, but at least since it was 45 yesterday most of the snow on the roads and sidewalks is melted for now.

Cyberic

I'm not sure what would be tough about it.  Other than going over the bridge at mile 17 it runs along the Saint Lawrence River, so it's mostly flat.  The last 8 miles do run on a multi lane highway - so no shade.

The tough part for me in 2012 was simply the heat - it was about 87 in the shade, and like I said above, there was no shade.  There were people dropping along the road in great numbers in the final 10K.  Good thing the road was wide for all the ambulances.

It's in August IIRC.  That's why it is tough.

How did you happen to choose that marathon? It's not small, but isn't a popular destination race either.

Cyberic

My toenails have so far escaped unscathed; I also wear 1-1.5 sizes up, but I think most people do that. I always assumed it's more some function of anatomy and gait, people are just inherently more or less susceptible to it.

I guess that's it.

LRB

I slept in and missed the group tempo I wanted to run this morning Sad Dragged my butt out the door for 10 with 6 at MP in 55 degrees with an active wind advisory - surprisingly good run, 7:55 average for the 6. Went into Boston to meet internet friends for lunch after that and wandered around the city for a bit. Fun day Smile

Nice way to salvage the workout.

LRB

3 miles and core.  25 degrees and windy, but at least since it was 45 yesterday most of the snow on the roads and sidewalks is melted for now.

It was windy as hell here today and I under-dressed for it. I won't be doing that stupid shit again tomorrow, you can believe that!

No more marathons

It's in August IIRC.  That's why it is tough.

How did you happen to choose that marathon? It's not small, but isn't a popular destination race either.

Had no intention of running another marathon in my second running life, but then DS at 18 ran his first in 2:42 and qualified for Boston.  That was in March of 2012.  Decided to try to qualify to run with him and wanted the latest before registration started in Sep - and Quebec fit the schedule.  Also looked like a great vacation spot.  Temps both the day before and the day after would have been better, but raceday was god awful. Made all the rookie mistakes (although this was my 4th marathon it was my first since 1985) and did a major crash and burn.  Spent a couple hours in the medical tent and got two liters of saline by IV before the let me go. Turns out to have been a good thing - my likely time at Boston in 2013 would have put me around the finish line when the bombs went off.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

All that coach talk today has me wondering, too. What is it now? Almost half of the dailies regulars are being actively coached?

Come to think of it, I've been considering getting a coach again for my goal races, or at least for NC 24 again.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.