Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos (people and dogs) - Dog Days of Summer 5K (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 30th race of 2015.  Held on June 14, 2015, Dog Days of Summer 5K supports Guide Dogs of Texas. The event locale was Eilan, a luxury living and business area in San Antonio, with hotels, shoppes, apartments, offices, etc. 8 a.m. race start with dark skies and rain threatening, 100 percent humidity, dew-point in the 70s, and a temp already in the low 80s at race start time of 8 a.m.  Kind of felt like a sauna out there!  Maybe around 100 to 200 participants and dogs were welcome too.  Hilly course of 2 loops.  I ended up with a 33:22 chip time, good enough for 3rd in my age group.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

Eilan definitely has some unique building designs..

photo 009_zpszt1deejz.jpg

photo 050_zpsz0hsne0t.jpg

iaapweb.com people who did the course set up, results timing, etc,

photo 001_zpsghqqkaek.jpg

photo 002_zpsvjo6fmgl.jpg

photo 012_zpscwk7cvv5.jpg

photo 013_zpsm3tsgcg9.jpg

Mr. DJ

photo 003_zps6rbjfiuw.jpg

My lovely mate, Gail, was one of the vendors at today's event

photo 018_zpsp2jgujyg.jpg

Carrera Races volunteers with the lovely Virginia (pink shirt), co-owner of Carrera Races

photo 006_zpssdac1uad.jpg

My pals at Run Wild Sports, a very good local running store, including my 4-legged pal, Emma, whom I give a treat to whenever I visit the store

photo 004_zpskjjjr6ul.jpg

photo 007_zpsxejjiyy0.jpg

Participants, volunteers, etc. before the start

photo 005_zpsasqoulqk.jpg

photo 008_zpsht7xjru3.jpg

photo 010_zpsf1fl16bp.jpg

photo 011_zpsxsitrkby.jpg

photo 014_zpsynfei86m.jpg

photo 015_zpswinniyen.jpg

photo 016_zpsfitrdpv3.jpg

photo 017_zpss0ebjsfs.jpg

photo 019_zps28ekyjur.jpg

In this group, several are wearing the Dog Days nice tech tee that race participants got

photo 020_zpszdauzi6c.jpg

photo 021_zpsbfnmkgpa.jpg

photo 022_zps5585qg3h.jpg

photo 023_zpsaoh8czfi.jpg

photo 024_zpsvsbcwlm1.jpg

Pre-start warmup

photo 025_zpsye38tomg.jpg

photo 027_zps4joqhfbi.jpg

photo 028_zpse860l9m5.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo 029_zpsrnn5lmgl.jpg

On the Course

As said, two loops around the Eilan community.  Started with a steeper but fairly short hill, then flat for a bit, then up a long incline, then a bit of a downhill, than a third hill which was a longer up incline than the 2nd hill we had just come off of.  Then we did a turn and went down a very long downill...then wound our way back to the start point and did one more loop.  Of course, with a 2-loop course, this meant we did all these hills twice.

My first walk break was on the 2nd hill of the course

photo 030_zpsez0azufc.jpg

photo 031_zpsbjdcj8mt.jpg

photo 033_zpsnomnhgnf.jpg

photo 035_zps7mz4yv5h.jpg

In the below photos, looking ahead at the 3rd hill waiting for us

photo 032_zpsl91v1ner.jpg

photo 034_zps53ovz5jw.jpg

photo 036_zpsars0jenx.jpg

2nd loop - this it actually the first hill we had in the race...lot less crowded on this 2nd loop

photo 037_zpszreuzubx.jpg

photo 039_zps6cijdmpn.jpg

Looking behind me

photo 038_zps3ygpgphp.jpg

photo 040_zpsn5bleicg.jpg

After that it was non-stop running for about the last 1.2 miles to the finish.  My last mile was my fastest, done in 10:35.  The very big downhill right before we finished helped with that.

After the Finish

"Happy Finishers", supporters, vendors, etc.

photo 041_zpsc1pmeak6.jpg

photo 042_zpsxnpudssv.jpg

photo 043_zpsvnycetsh.jpg

My friend, Jose, with Ms. Minnie's small dog (in the set of photos before the start).  I jokingly told Jose....."get a man dog!"

photo 044_zpsczib8diq.jpg

photo 045_zpsglwnwydi.jpg

photo 047_zpsstwhwwi8.jpg

I love Weimeraners.  My wife once jokingly told me, with my gray/white hair, I kinda look like a 2-legged fat ole weimeraner, lol.

photo 048_zpsgjndrduq.jpg

photo 049_zpskc4hw0pu.jpg

photo 051_zpsvcoyfdeh.jpg

Triple threat...3 dogs now...

photo 052_zpswzqawbrd.jpg

..plus 1 more coming up...yeah, dogs love me....or maybe I just smell like a dog.... 

photo 053_zpssx6w61dh.jpg

photo 054_zps0dtkp5li.jpg

photo 055_zps5q03wuuk.jpg

photo 056_zpse6g4fq2p.jpg

Post-race popsicle...nice and cold too....very refreshing....thank you Chloe's!

photo 057_zpspyzu3sm9.jpg

photo 058_zpslv60hc77.jpg

photo 059_zpsxfbl3hss.jpg

My speedy pal, Bernadette

photo 060_zpsh3igjqmk.jpg

photo 061_zpsh1ksg1vl.jpg

My 3 pals...Speedy Gene, first in our age group (60-69) for this race, his wife Loyce, and Bernadette

photo 062_zpsolnjaxoi.jpg

photo 063_zpsj0t90bmx.jpg

photo 064_zpsuhrx8vdb.jpg

Doggies are really interested in whatever that kid has in his bowl...

photo 065_zpsfpslgl6n.jpg

photo 066_zpsihzmoy5w.jpg

Camera-shy dogs, lol

photo 067_zpsccve1g6t.jpg

photo 068_zpsfvxg2v4n.jpg

Awww.....

photo 069_zpsd1x6tgbj.jpg

photo 070_zpshfaydqfa.jpg

photo 071_zpsucvpikag.jpg

EPILOG

A bit humid today but in spite of the weather still a very enjoyable event.  Lots of both good friendly dogs and friendly people, some very nice post-race goodies - no beer though, bummer, although there was wine...but I'm not much of a wine drinker - and good, wide-road course.  Mucho thanks to all the sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement, vendors, etc, who made all of this happen for we participants.  Don't know where this one will be next year, as Eilan is not going to have any more events at that locale for a while for whatever reason.  Hopefully, Carrera Races will find another good venue for the next one because this is a good event to keep on the race calendar.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Looks like a fun race. The dogs surrounding the little kid must know food falls on the ground with little ones. Or the food is close to doggie height, so take advantage when the kid looks away. 

Little Blue

P-p-p-puppies!!!  That looks like great fun with all the fur kids.

I laugh when I look at your pictures.  You've posted enough RRs now that I recognize Gail, Gene and Bernadette on sight.  I only remember Gails' name, but the other two are like old friends.

TheMert

Great write-up Scott!  I was one of the MileCrushers you met (and snapped a photo of; I was missing in the earlier one!).  Your description was spot on; it was a fun event with a ton of friendly people and dogs.  You took some quality shots as well!  Hope to see you at more events!

Cheers,

David

delicate flower

Doggers!!  I want to pet them all.

<3

LRB

"Happy Finishers", supporters, vendors, etc.

photo 041_zpsc1pmeak6.jpg

photo 042_zpsxnpudssv.jpg

I had to look at the first pic twice and still couldn't figure out WTH I was looking at. The second one cleared it up for me, hilarious!

GinnyinPA

I love the dog up on the hydrant.  There were a lot of dogs there; do they ever get into fights?  That location seems to have a lot of races.  Is there a connection with the running community?

Docket_Rocket

Great report, Scotty!  Love that doggie picture.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I love the dog up on the hydrant.  There were a lot of dogs there; do they ever get into fights?  That location seems to have a lot of races.  Is there a connection with the running community?

Yes, Eilan has an agreement with Carrera Races, a very good local race company, and the community also gives discounts in their restaurant, spa, etc., to participating runners, so Carrera Races brings some business to the community.   However, no more races there for a while, as the community is going to start a renovation soon, so this was the last event there for who knows how long.

Reebokabec

That looks like a really fun event!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That looks like a really fun event!

And there were treats for the dogs too, post-race, and wading pools they could lie in to cool off and drink from