Beginners and Beyond

what is the furthest you've traveled for a race? (Read 361 times)

The farthest I have travelled was from Calgary to Maine.  It was a family vacation/high school reunion and I squeezed in the Beach to Beacon 10K while there.

Two years later (October 2013) we will make the trip again.  This time I will be running the Mount Desert Island marathon.

The longest drive would be 8 hours to Kelowna.

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I think 10 miles is the furthest I travelled - and yes the car did warm up.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

RSX

If we do a shortest travel thread, a friend just emailed me about a 5k that starts a 1/2 mile from home at a bar in a few months that will have free beer!! The town was new to us last year so I missed it.

RabbitChaser

From Kansas City to San Antonio to run my first HM, the 2008 inaugural San Antonio RnR HM.

delicate flower

Two hours for an overnight trip with a bunch of friends.  Half ironman relay the next day.  Fun, fun, fun!

We'll be going to Disney (1000 miles?) in May, and there just happens to be a 5K there that weekend (Expedition Everest Challenge).  We had the trip planned though before we found out there was a race, so it's not a race-specific trip.  Not sure that counts.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The farthest I have traveled to do a race is 3,707 miles when I went from San Antonio to Hawaii in 2000 to do the Honolulu Marathon.

However, I did NOT drive.  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

My husband knows to ask what month is the marathon in X city before planning an overseas vacation.

Could he teach my husband to do that?  Big grin

To give mine credit, though, he's slowly learning.  The other day, he did say "I really want to go visit my sister in Austin...isn't there, like, a marathon or something in Austin you could do?"    yay!

Angela 

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

The past three years I've flown 3000+ miles from NYC to San Diego for the SD RnR marathon.  We leave Friday after work and come back Monday.  It's my hometown where all my family lives and running the marathon gives me a good excuse for a quick visit home.

Other than that, the furthest we've driven was NYC to DC for Marine Corps.

Angela 

aponi

never runs the tangents

If we do a shortest travel thread, a friend just emailed me about a 5k that starts a 1/2 mile from home at a bar in a few months that will have free beer!! The town was new to us last year so I missed it.

I did a 5k that was a mile from my house. It was great, we turned it into a 5 miler and didn't have to deal with parking.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who