Beginners and Beyond

Warming up for a race.... (Read 80 times)

Zelanie

I think folks are ignoring how long he's going to be standing around.  At some point, there really is no point in doing a warm up.  To use an extreme example, what if you were going to be standing around for an hour?  Would you still go out and do your warm up?  No.  Then, the warm up becomes counterproductive because your body functions will return to normal and you'll stiffen up.  I don't know precisely where that point in time is but 15 minutes is damn close to it and this is coming from someone who does very extensive warm ups for races of all distances short of ultras.  There are times though when you really are better off not doing one.

If there's no benefit at all, what is the purpose of a raceday morning shakeout run, then?  It seems like a warmup with standing around afterwards would have at least some of the benefits of one or the other.

RSX

For 30+ years I never did a warmup. I always looked at it I wanted to maximize my effort. I started doing it last year, and see some benefit especially with the first few steps. My times in 5 mile or less races are the best in years which is from a # of factors, but I think that helps.