Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES on the 4th (Read 31 times)

onemile

Justify it however you want, but an unregistered pacer/partner for 20 miles makes him a bandit and you a cheat. Don't do it.

so if I buy him a bib and he runs the first 22 miles as my pacer and then drops out, then I am not cheating (and he's just a DNF). But if he has a bib and jumps in at 6 miles and runs 20 with me, then HE is cheating (and I am not)?  But if he does the same without a bib, then he is a bandit (but not a cheater) and I am cheating?  This is confusing.

delicate flower

This is confusing.

No it's not.  You just want someone to tell you it is ok.  If he's a paid runner, the two of you can do whatever you want.

<3

onemile

No it's not.  You just want someone to tell you it is ok.  If he's a paid runner, the two of you can do whatever you want.

But a paid runner can't jump into a race at mile 6!!  I really don't mind paying. I don't want him to get banned for cheating tho

onemile

Maybe I'll sign him up under a fake name. Would that work??

KCRuns

so if I buy him a bib and he runs the first 22 miles as my pacer and then drops out, then I am not cheating (and he's just a DNF). But if he has a bib and jumps in at 6 miles and runs 20 with me, then HE is cheating (and I am not)?  But if he does the same without a bib, then he is a bandit (but not a cheater) and I am cheating?  This is confusing.

Take off his timing chip and there's no issue and it also keeps his name from having a DQ on any results pages, he would just show as a did not start, no big deal.  If you both have bibs, no one will say anything and you can have him pace you the way you want. and with a bib, he can go through the finish with you and get water, banana, etc, which he's going to need after 20 miles.

KCRuns

No, most races make you show ID to pick up your bib.

Cyberic

Justify it however you want, but an unregistered pacer/partner for 20 miles makes him a bandit and you a cheat. Don't do it.

I don't get into that stuff, but two people I know got some heat from local runners and race organizers for pacing their friend. I don't know the details but I do know the heat they got was enough they will not do it again.

People who DID NOT have bibs.

There's another story where the winner of the half marathon was pacing the winner of the full marathon for the first half (both had a bib) and that was all right, even if people found a reason to complain about that (blocking the wind, grabbing water cups for him and whatnot).

LRB

You could reach out to the race director and put the scenario out there (the "back" 20 is unique) and have them tell you what options you have, if any.