Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins are ... (Read 16 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

... a topic to be named later. I scoured the internet and all I could come up with was James Kirks birthday in 2233 and William Shatner in 1931.

3 easy done this morning and boot camp.

Has anyone watched TED videos? I'm going to a TEDx talk this afternoon at UTA should be interesting.

Zelanie

Morning, PAD!  I really enjoy the TED talks that I've watched over the internet, hope your live one is excellent as well!

My cutback week is turning into a super cutback week.  By the time I got home yesterday, Zoe had broken out of her pen and peed on the floor (damn steroids!).  I got it cleaned up, got her outside again, got her meds, and reinforced the pen, but by that time DH had come home and taken Mia on her walk, so Zoe was freaking out about being left behind.  So I hung out with her for a bit, and by that time it was time to pick up DD.  And then it was dark and I was hungry.

Hopefully today, we get her more settled into a routine.  There should be somebody home most or all of the day, which should help.  We also got her a cushy Costco bed which she seems to like.

So today, I really need to get my run in.  Planning on 6 in the afternoon sunshine.

GinnyinPA

What is a TED talk?

PAD - thanks for getting us started.  Good job on the 3 easy plus boot camp.  Do you run before or after?

Z - I hope you get your sunny six later.  Sounds like Zoe is feeling better, if she wants to be out and about.  Good luck keeping her quiet.

AFM:  A beautiful day here, so DH and I are taking Ben for a walk in the woods.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! My 9 with the group was great - my calf was a little tight last night so I was worried, but it didn't bother me at all. Had my first ever GU (salted caramel, pretty good) at 4.75. I know it's not really necessary for training runs but I want to start testing out fueling strategies for future race purposes. No stomach troubles and it made the second half of the run much easier after martinis and 6 hours of sleep last night (I really need to stop doing that the night before my long run!).

This time I used my smart brain and told my running buddies I needed to go a bit slower than their planned pace, so my legs should be less angry with me than they were last week. Still kept them in sight the whole time, overall pace was 9:52 with a few miles up above 10:00 and the last mile was my fastest (9:30 - had some poo monster fears around 8.3, everything was fine but I wanted to hit 9 ASAP!).

PADRunner

What is a TED talk?

PAD - thanks for getting us started.  Good job on the 3 easy plus boot camp.  Do you run before or after?

TED Ideas worth spreading.

An easy way to waste an afternoon watching interesting speakers on almost any topic. This is the one I'm going to at UTA. I've watched a lot of them and thought it would be pretty neat to see one in person.

I usually run before boot camp. Sometimes we run in boot camp so I end up running twice.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Ginny: PLEASE put up one picture. I would really like to see the woods you walk in. Smile

Zel: I'm glad Zoe is ok. I saw the picture of her and felt so bad!

12.6 miles for me. DW went 14. I had to turn around because my achilles is acting up. I finally turn the corner with the PF and now it's on to something else. After my next marathon I think I will tone it down and run some 10k and HMs. It sucks getting old.

on my way to badass

PAD-  Thanks for starting us off.

Z-  I hope you get your run in.  I forget what the sun looks like.

Ginny- have a nice walk.  Look out for ticks!

Lauren- Your 9 miles sounds great!

Jack-  I have to agree about getting old.

Race day for me.  Beat my PR by 1:19.  I am so happy.  All my work is starting to pay off.  I kept the Garmin looks to a minimum.  I even thought about leaving it home.  It's too soon for that.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

SheCan

Saturday Penguins are ... my heros!

PAD-- great job to you on running and boot camp.  I'm jealous that you get to see the TED talks in person.  What a treat!  I love them.  Hope you have a good speaker (do they even have those that aren't good?)

Zel-- hugs to you and Zoe.

Ginny-- Enjoy your walk with DH & Ben!

Lauren-- awesome job you!

Jack-- I woulda swore you were 25 .

StoneFence-- wooooohoooooo Congratulations on your PR!  How'd you feel during the race?  Are you going to put up a RR?

Did an easy 6 today.  I've also set my desk up where I can now mess with the computer without sitting down.  Standing now in fact.  Working on getting more time on my feet.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Got my 6 in, and it is a beautiful day outside.  I felt a bit sluggish for the first half, but good for the second.  My heel is feeling good enough that I completely forgot to wear my little compression sock thing.  So that's good news! Smile

Ginny- You make a good point that I'd rather be having the issues that come along with Zoe feeling good and wanting to do more, instead of the other way around.

Lauren- Sounds like an excellent run!  I don't take GU every time, but I do like to try them out during training runs, and it does give me a mental boost if nothing else.  I really like the salted caramel.  Bravo to you for admitting to the group that you needed a slower pace.  I am the same way in that most of the social runners are just a bit faster than me.  Well, the slow group is a bit faster than I am.   Boo that nobody stayed back to run at your pace!

Jack- You're not old!  Anyway, better to have aches and pains because we are using our bones and muscles instead of because we're sedentary!  From what I've read about Achilles issues (I think that's what my heel issue is), it sounds like it responds the same sort of things that you would do for PF.

Stone Fence- Congratulations on the new PR!  What a rewarding thing so thee the fruits of your labor!

Cheri- Nice job on the standing desk.  I find that when I am standing up, I'm much more likely to walk around from time to time compared to when I'm just sitting somewhere.

GinnyinPA

Lauren -  sounds like a very good long run for you.

Jack - I'm sorry your Achilles is acting up.  You have time before your next marathon, so take it easy if you can.

I rarely remember to bring a camera when we hike, so no pictures.  We walked through mixed forest - oak, maple, and pine.  No leaves on the trees, so we had lots of sunshine  today.  There were only a few little patches of snow at the bottom of the mountain.  All the tiny creeks were full, so Ben was happy, drinking and rolling in the water.  No wildlife at all yet. We followed old woods roads, grassy and easy to walk on, and a little bit of single track that was steep and rocky.  Lovely hike.

Stonefence - congratulations on the new PR.  That is a significant improvement. And we found our first tick of the season two days ago.  On Ben's face where he stuck it in a bush.

Cherie - How are the legs feeling now?

Z - I'm glad your heel is healed.  Nice job on the run.