Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins (Read 13 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I signed DH and myself up for 4 springtime races.  Three 4 mile races and a 10k.  I told him that he has to run next to me for all of these races ;-) which might be torture for him because I'm so slow but that's really the only way I'm comfortable with him running.  He says that he wants to go for a PR in the 10k distance -- and I was just like that means I have to beat your PR (which is incredibly unlikely to happen).

Yesterday I did 4 miles and today my legs are sore -- I am so out of running shape at this point it is embarrassing.  I've finally stepped on the scale -- between winter weight (which I always gain because of SAD) and vacation weight I am at my highest weight in 4 years :-(  If that doesn't motivate me I think nothing will.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Not sure if I'll take a RD or not. I'll see how the day goes and maybe a couple after work.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 7 with 2 at MP.

Jill, did you tell your husband?

PAD, enjoy whichever you decide.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang! Got my run in yesterday around 2 pm. before taking my kitty to a vet appointment. Did hills in my neighborhood. That wind was really blowing! 25 to 30 mph..so much fun running uphill into a gusting headwind! Definitely gave me a workout. Managed to get in 3.5 miles. Today after work should be a bit better....winds are dying down and will be sunny and 69 degrees, sweet.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Jill, is there any medical reason to still be worried when he races?  I know it's scary, but maybe he's OK now?

I have my 1-mile streak run tonight.  Last night was 6 x 800.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill, is there any medical reason to still be worried when he races?  I know it's scary, but maybe he's OK now?

I have my 1-mile streak run tonight.  Last night was 6 x 800.

Eh, well cardio-wise he's 100% fine.  We were supposed to chase down a possible neurological cause after that, but DH got busy at work and our health insurance became incredibly shitty so we didn't go down that route.  I'd just rather run with him, at least for awhile.  In any case, I'm capping the race distance for him at 10k since he didn't go down until mile 12.

Brilliant

Jill, 4 spring races!?  That's definitely motivating.  I'm not signed up for anything for more than 6 months.  Which is maybe why I just took 3 days off in a row, haha.

4.5 easy done this morning.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill, 4 spring races!?  That's definitely motivating.  I'm not signed up for anything for more than 6 months.  Which is maybe why I just took 3 days off in a row, haha.

4.5 easy done this morning.

Well NYRR races are cheap if you sign up early.  The 4 mile races are 18 dollars each (and include a shirt) and the 10k was 29 and includes a tech shirt.  :-P  I am trying to 9+1 again through the road runners (or at least have the option) so there's that.

I wound up running to and from the YMCA which was 3.1 miles round trip and swimming 1800 yards.  The swim took a lot out of me and was done at what would have been slower than recovery pace back in high school.  I guess I can't compare 30 year old Jill to 17 year old Jill   I was still the fastest person in the pool today so that made me feel good.  Granted there were mostly older Asian ladies there today and one fit guy in his 50s   I may also run with hubby tonight to help motivate him.  I think that if I don't go down there with him he won't run.

From the Internet.

I've finally stepped on the scale -- between winter weight (which I always gain because of SAD) and vacation weight I am at my highest weight in 4 years :-(  If that doesn't motivate me I think nothing will.

You and me both, girl. I'm at my highest non-pregnancy weight EVER right now D:

Running a bit later - it's raining more than I was hoping it would, I might bail on the planned outdoor run and hit the treadmill at the Y. It's just cold enough that being soaked isn't going to be fun, just warm enough that a waterproof layer will make me sweat buckets.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

You and me both, girl. I'm at my highest non-pregnancy weight EVER right now D:

At least you aren't exceeding your pregnancy weight.  =P  My fat jeans are tight right now.  It is really really sad/unacceptable.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

At least you aren't exceeding your pregnancy weight.  =P  My fat jeans are tight right now.  It is really really sad/unacceptable.

Ugh, thanks for the weight gain reminder !!!  I did cut out snacking at work (actually cut out the work just to make sure).