Beginners and Beyond

October 2017 Race Thread (Read 53 times)

I didn't realize your race was so soon

Not sure I'm ready for it, but I'm definitely ready to taper.

Dave

delicate flower

10/28 - Baboon - Essex Steam Train HM - Goal <2:15

<3

catwhoorg

Labrat

2017 Silver Comet RR

Training summary going in to the Taper

2017 start to taper start

Average Miles per week  37.3

Average time per week (all exercise) 445 min

Started with a focus on the 5K and speedwork, then switched to a more Tempo oriented HM block

HM block (Since Jun 26th)

Average Miles 41.4

Average time (all exercise) 524 min

Long run 18.4 miles

Highest week 65.2 Miles

Thats a over a hundred miles further than last year at this point, and with much better adherence to the quality workouts on my plan. Set an aggressive goal of 1:33:00 based on my recent 5Ks.

Weather was not optimal, with rain in the forecast and quite humid to start. Got to see a few friends beforehand and chatted with the RD, who had a brief moment of panic when a large group of volunteers dropped out at short notice. The local running community rallied round and there were enough people on the day (though a few more would have helped I am equally sure).

Start was run by the DJ, and he did it in a odd way, it wasn't actually clear that the race was off for a few seconds. (if you check the results even the front row of racers have a 5-6 second offset from gun to chip).

The first mile and a half or so is on a main road an is downhill. Settled into a good pace and was going just fine. As soon as we turned onto the trail and I lost the advantage of the slight downhill it was obvious that my legs just weren’t turning over the way they were supposed to. I was keeping pace but it was more effort than I expected. There was no mile marker for mile #1 so the first interval is 2 miles.

I manually ran the splits by the mile markers.

Type

Distance

Duration

Elapsed Time

Pace

Notes

Interval

2.02 mi

13:44

13:44

6:48

Interval

1.02 mi

6:55

20:39

6:47

Interval

1.05 mi

7:13

27:52

6:53

Interval

0.98 mi

7:16

35:08

7:25

Interval

1.03 mi

7:11

42:19

6:59

Interval

1.01 mi

7:52

50:11

7:48

Interval

1.09 mi

7:51

58:02

7:13

Interval

1.05 mi

7:30

1:05:32

7:09

Interval

0.98 mi

7:16

1:12:48

7:25

Interval

0.93 mi

7:14

1:20:02

7:47

Interval

1.07 mi

8:31

1:28:33

7:58

Interval

1.13 mi

8:35

1:37:08

7:36

Mile 5 was the first time I fell significantly below goal pace Recovered a bit for the next mile, but then it was survival mode and I never hit goal pace the rest of the race. Speed really fell off for the last 3 miles, but despite that I was closing on the guys in front of me. Just not quite fast enough it turned out.

Made the turn on the out and back in 12th place overall, got passed by two runners on the return leg as I faded, but nearly caught a couple of others who faded a bit faster.

Final time was 1:37:06, 14th place overall, but annoyingly 10 seconds off getting an AG award. (hence the not closing quite fast enough).

In the end I probably could have done better with a slightly less aggressive goal, I clearly ran out of steam on the day, but I don’t think the goal was a bad one, maybe I should have adjusted for the conditions.

In the end though it was a PR, by over 5 seconds/mile so I shouldn’t be too disappointed but I am.

Chickamauga in a couple of weeks, and normally I run that one a little faster than the Silver Comet, 2012 I actually managed a 5 min improvement and that was a warmer year at SC and a cool one at Chickamauga.

But hell for leather I will try again for that 1:33:00 I feel that I have it in my legs.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Congrats catw - I guess you will need to update your signature now!

I also finished a half this weekend. It was the first one for me and was a great experience! I had used JD and his plan was tailored towards a 1:57h time but I actually finished in 1:53:34 running most of the race at my threshold/tempo pace. I felt strong the entire way also thanks to two gels at miles 6&9. They taste horrible though.

I finished 2636th of roughly 6000. I am quite happy with this. I actually got a bit emotional right after the start as I was thinking 14 weeks of training and now I am finally here.

I believe for me the key to a better time will be more miles. Not sure what to race next but I probably won't run another half until next year.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Docket_Rocket

Awesome job, Richard!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Congrats catw - I guess you will need to update your signature now!

I also finished a half this weekend. It was the first one for me and was a great experience! I had used JD and his plan was tailored towards a 1:57h time but I actually finished in 1:53:34 running most of the race at my threshold/tempo pace. I felt strong the entire way also thanks to two gels at miles 6&9. They taste horrible though.

I finished 2636th of roughly 6000. I am quite happy with this. I actually got a bit emotional right after the start as I was thinking 14 weeks of training and now I am finally here.

I believe for me the key to a better time will be more miles. Not sure what to race next but I probably won't run another half until next year.

Nice job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page