Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies for Penguins In Control (Read 26 times)

Brilliant

^^^   Listen to Zel!  Don't give up based on this week.  At least wait and see how your taper goes.

Ah...Mondays. The best part of Mondays is its an SRD. No early alarm and no evil voices.

Did a pretty good job keeping myself under control today. That's about all I can ever hope to do.

Just a quick check in for me. Monday and Tuesday evenings are typically my BRQ (Blue Ribbon Quilting) nights, where I do long-arm quilting for others.

Brill, I'll IM you with some information so I don't bore the rest of you. Good luck with all the fun challenges and adventures ahead with your new house. Enjoy!!

Safp - 800K????????? Yikes. Here in Kansas and the KC area, that would buy you a McMansion.

Zel - Welcome to the last stretch of the school year. Here's hoping you had a nice run to get back into the swing of things.

HsM - Sounds like you have good reason to be draggin! Sure wish we could hear you sing one day.

DR - What a dilemma. I know what I'd pick.

Ginny - Hang in there. You can do it. 200 miles in a month - wowzer!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Robert31320

Team TJ

For just over a week now, I've been battling an ear infection/toothache combo.  This hasn't been any fun.  Went to the dentist today and he said it needed to be pulled but for some strange reason my BP was high so he couldn't pull the tooth.  The fun continues...

Running for TJ because he can't.

GinnyinPA

My worry, besides the hamstring pain, is that ALL of my long runs are a struggle.  I haven't had a long run in a long time that felt good; I always end up barely finishing the miles.  I know that some of that is the issue of running on tired legs, as directed in the plan.  But I just wonder whether I'm capable of running 26 miles when I struggle so much to do 18 or 20.

Zelanie

Ginny- Do you have another LR coming up this week? How long?  I still say you're better trained than 90% of the first time marathoners out there!  Only you know how you're feeling and what you want out of your marathon (would you be OK if, let's say, you did walk the last 10K?  Or not?).  You've not only completed 20 in training but also have some pretty consistent mileage since the start of the year, and that's got to count for something.  The only thing I'd say looking at your log (with my vast 1 marathon experience, snort) is to see if you can really make yourself slow down for the first few miles of your next LR.  Like, 5 miles at 11:00 or slower if you can do it.

The other thing is my super-inauthentic philosophy I got from DD's "Zen Shorts" book years ago.  One character is angry at a rich woman who they had to carry over the mud.  The other says, "I set that woman down a long time ago.  Why are you still carrying her?"  Sometimes it's mentally hard for me to run a LR because I'm "carrying" the other miles with me by worrying about them.  If I can remind myself to set the other miles down and just focus on how I feel in the current one, it is usually much better.  If I can do it, of course.

Sometimes we assume that if we're tired at a certain point, then it follows that after x more miles, we'll be that much more tired.  But most of the time, that's just not the case.  We've trained our bodies for distance.  Yes, we're still tired after running those extra miles, but not really MORE tired.  It's just the same feeling it was an hour ago.  Not worse, you know?

Anyway, I hope that was helpful.  I read your post right before I went out for my run, and I didn't bring music or anything, so I had time to think.

Robert- Tooth pain is the absolute worst!  I am sorry that you're still not feeling well, and hope that you find a solution soon!