Beginners and Beyond

Salisbury Half Marathon Race Report (Read 43 times)

onemile

I immediately go in the POP line. There were 5. 5 for 1000 runners!  

There was 1 POP designated the “qualifying toilet” for those looking to run Boston or NYC qualifying times.

The “additional waves” were a lie. Instead, as you got up to the start, you started.

That was also where the traffic control was a little iffy. Cops were directing traffic, I had to slow as they let cars across the route. WTF!  No!

Full sun. I felt a chill and noticed despite being hot, I wasn’t sweating. This isn’t good.

In a really cruel twist, the finish was Uphill and on uneven bricks. Seriously, that’s just wrong. Forget looking strong, I didn’t want to roll an ankle.

Everything about this race sounds awful.

Wow.  How effing hard is it to get POPs right?  This seems like low hanging fruit in the "list of things that you need to organize properly for a race."  I've only been to one race that had a similarly stupid situation, so I deeply sympathize.

I am super impressed with your version of blowing up.  You still kept up a pretty decent pace, and you're not in the medic tent.  That could have gone a lot worse, it says a lot for your conditioning that you could force yourself through those last miles.

Congratulations on finishing upright.  There will be another race that holds that PR for you.  Preferably one with gazillions of toilets.

KCRuns

I'm sorry this race did not go as planned, but most of that was beyond your control.  You did a fabulous job with the things you could control and ran a smart race.

Half Crazy K 2.0

You guys make me feel better about my meh mood towards this race. Their Facebook page & group has been an absolute lovefest. This was the bestest race ever, OMG, so amazing, cannot believe this was the first year, everything went so smooth, blah, blah, blah. I don't think they are deleting negative comments, because my POP complaint it still there. But yea, to acknowledge that the #1 question by a landslide was pre-race POPs, to then be so under stocked is inexcusable. And I found it insulting that the volunteer with the bullhorn kept saying it's ok, there's a POP at the first aid station. No, that's not ok and not the same.

Baboon, Salisbury Steak University, not college. And they even mentioned that joke at graduation since I was the last class to graduate with the State in the name.

There was a lot of walking in those last 4 miles.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Sounds like you had a lot of frustration to run off! Unfortunately, running frustrated/angry never seems to go as well as it seems like it should haha. Not saying that your mood wasn't justified - I'd have been plenty irritated too, especially by the notion that I could just stop on course.

And, I'm with you on all the positive post-race comments...many folks seem to just want to gloss over the logistical issues in a race because they did well and met their goals. Constructive feedback is, well, constructive!

Anyway, good job getting through it. On to the next one!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn