Beginners and Beyond

Hit by a vehicle.......on my bike this time......I'm at a loss for words... (Read 184 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Perfect, D, then refer back to my list......(I'm not bias or anything)......

Cannondale Quick

Specialized Sirrus

Trek 7.x (7.1, 7.2, 7.3, etc.)

Fuji Absolute

Giant Escape

Diamondback Insight

And here's a purrty baby blue w/ Miami orange combo version of my bike, just for you......

Randy

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I'm partial to the hybrids right now (for many reasons) but here's a short list I'd suggest to anyone........

Cannondale Quick 

Specialized Sirrus

Trek 7.x (7.1, 7.2, 7.3, etc.)

Fuji Absolute

Giant Escape

Diamondback Insight

All of these can be found at LBSs and other bikes in between.  You can pick up the lower end of these bikes for around $400 and some closeout models go even lower than that.  That's for pretty darn good bikes which you can also get in the SIZE THAT FITS YOU!!! (Which as I mentioned earlier is MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!!)

FYI these are not true hybrid bikes (at least the first 2 and the Trek do you mean the fx series?).  They are not really suitable for off road (that's a hybrid).  These are made for on road riding but use a flat bar for more comfort and therefore are in the "fitness" class.

For those asking, you can totally get a great on road only bike for $800.

Love what you buy or you won't ride it.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

FYI these are not true hybrid bikes (at least the first 2 and the Trek do you mean the fx series?).  They are not really suitable for off road (that's a hybrid).  These are made for on road riding but use a flat bar for more comfort and therefore are in the "fitness" class.

For those asking, you can totally get a great on road only bike for $800.

Love what you buy or you won't ride it.

Actually, they are.  (As hybrid is currently defined)

Every one in that series is the same family of build.....

-Aluminum frame, graduating to CF as you go up.

-Flat bar w/ moderate stem rise (unlike "comfort" series or hardtails w/ lockout fork)

-Shimano Altus, Acera, Alivo, Deore components

-32cm tires (almost exclusively except for Fuji & Specialized which switch to 28cm when you get to the higher end in the series and typically go from the slight-knobs like me Kenda KwikTrax to a smooth or even slick when you get to something like Fuji's absolute 1.4/1.5)

-And V-brakes, except where disc are used. (no cantis/linears on these)

No dis to your knowledge MCB, but this series of bikes....I know TOO WELL!  But I will admit there are seemingly more & more "hybrids" coming online as Giant is becoming a leader in it.  The Escape, Roam & Sedona could probably all be bundled into one group, yet the Escape gets "road bike" classification (which would certainly offend real roadies) while the Roam & Sedona (definitely different animals) get the X-road classification, yet a Roam is basially just an Escape w/ lockout fork. (shrug)

P.S.  Jamis Coda series of bikes is another awesome series (full-steel throughout) but are hard to find.  However, worth a ride if you want something very unique and revered!

Randy

fimmx

Glad you're ok redrum. And loving the informed bike chat!