Beginners and Beyond

Question about Boston Marathon tactics (Read 101 times)

MothAudio

Desi answers some of the questions here. She acknowledges that some may question her tactics but I like her answers:

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/desiree-linden-top-american-woman-at-boston-marathon

I am a huge fan of hers. I love how she was a relative unknown in college and is now arguably the best U.S. female marathoner out there right now.

She had a plan and went after it. I applaud that. It was clear she didn't have the speed at the end to match the breakaway and I wonder how much of that was because she was setting the pace most of the way. But I think this quote tells the tale:

“[Sometimes] someone would creep up on my shoulder and I thought, they’re ready to pick it up, and I would tuck in [to the pack] and [the pace] would slow right back down, so I would go back to work on the front,” Linden said. “I couldn’t let [the pace] get too soft. The more people that are in there late, the further back I’m going to finish. So if that means me doing a little bit more work on the front, I was comfortable with that.”

Agree. She did what she could but the speed of the three at the end was too much.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Agree. She did what she could but the speed of the three at the end was too much.

I have heard time and again that if a competitor has a better kick, then the tactic is to take it from them early.  I assumed during the race that is what Desi was doing (and per her interview I was correct)

It seems then the only way around would be is she pushed the pace faster when she lead to burn the others out.  But I also have to assume she is flexible enough to have done that *if* she could have.

She is also one of my favorites to watch.

For the record I don't think Shalane has peaked, I agree with Frank Shorter, she needs to quit trying so hard.   I applaud her for having the guts to broadcast to the world her intention, however that just reinforces and emphasizes the pressure.  Self pressure...  I hope she is able to fade back a bit from the spotlight and come back next year a bit more subtle.

Anything she can do to keep the eyes off of her will do a great deal for her chances.  imo

Love the Half

I read that interview and it explained what she was doing.  Keeping the tempo high seems to be somewhat standard procedure for American runners given the speed of the African runners.  The paces they run when they decide to race are astonishing.  I recall Moses Mosop dropping three consecutive 4:30's after Mile 18 in Chicago one year to put a huge gap on everyone else.  The lead female pack at Boston was running something like 5:03 if I'm correct when they broke up the pack that Desi was in.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).