Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday, OMG is it early, the first Penguins Post for the year (Read 178 times)

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, Mitch.  Who would be stupid enough not to make sure all the employees knew that!  That's a bummer!

15 miles done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4.5 on the track with DW.   1,196 miles to go.   It was a challenge withe the walkers walking 3 abreast, but it makes the time pass faster.  Maybe we should wear bells?

Kristin, take care of the knee.

Go Northern Illinois !!!!

Zelanie

Good morning!  I will be heading out for 7 today in a little bit, then driving up to Seattle with DD!  She really wants to see the King Tut exhibit, plus we are going to do some Twin Peaks sightseeing.  DH has family up there so we will be able to visit them as well.

Legs are dead after last night's tempo run, though.  This would ordinarily be a RD but I know I won't be able to run tomorrow, and Thursday is still up in the air.   Then Friday is my LR so if I can get the miles done today, I will be much happier later in the week.

Vance- Hopefully work goes quickly!  Boo that you have to work today!

D- So glad to hear that your run went well!

Jerry- You will have so much practice dodging walkers for your next race!

Kristi- Enjoy your miles, whatever you decide!

Robert- Good job getting the miles in early!

Gustav- Even Kiss pandas need a day off now and then!

Jen- Good luck on your race!

Kristin- My IT band hurt on the outside of the knee, too, and on stairs.  And I learned how to walk home without bending it during one of my runs. Sad  But I was able to get past it!  Do you have a foam roller?  That made the biggest difference for me I think.

Mitch- Aargh!  For me getting myself to work and on time is most of the effort.  I might as well work once I'm there.  So even having the night off would only be partial consolation.  Sorry you had to deal with that.

D2- I think you ran a great race!  Happy new year!

Tori- Almost done now!

Traci- Enjoy the strength and stretching today.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Happy New Year, Pens...

DW and I are off for a 3.5 hour drive to Laughlin, NV for several days of bingo, Bloody Marys, beers, and some runs. I may do a short run when we get there.

Here's to a healthy and injury free 2013.

From the Internet.

Morning colony! Thanks for the happy birthday wishes for DD Smile

It's been exactly 2 weeks since my last run, I'm still contemplating going out for a mile later to test out the shin but I'm scurred. Feels totally back to normal now, but I don't want to mess up my recovery by trying again too soon :/

Scotty - I was thinking about returning the aquajogger but I might have to bring it to the pool with me just in case!

From the Internet.

Totally out of order ADD personals coming up!

Mitch - that's terribly annoying, such a long drive to have to turn around and go home. My old commute was exactly 22 miles.

Jerry - or carry an air horn! That would move them out of the way pretty quickly!

Kristin - oh that sucks. I had ITB issues in August, foam rolling and stretching was key to getting over it, and I think strength work has helped to keep it away for good (knock on wood). Squats and Romanian deadlifts strengthened all the muscles surrounding my ITB and it hasn't bothered me in months. And I have quads of steel now too, which is pretty cool.

Jack - safe travels for you and DW! Sounds like it'll be a fun trip Smile

Zelanie - have fun on your trip too! Smile

Damaris- great job on the 15.

Jerry- counting down your mileage goal like that makes it seem painful. Way to go knocking out some miles on day 1.

Zelanie- enjoy the day trip with DD. I would take that 7 easy if I was you. I am the king o the easy run. I rarely push myself  Smile

Jack- good luck with the bingo. A bloody mary sounds great right now. Enjoy the trip.

Lauren- I hope the leg is healed soon.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

N-bug - I totally understand the over eating thing. Have a good day buddy.

Krisit- that sucks about the neighbors. Good luck with the miles.

Robert - wtg on the 3.25

Gustav- I have a feelIng you will have a great year.

Jen- hopefully the 10k went well

Hog- I would have been f'n pissed about that work screw up.

Dave - way to kick butt on the race.

Tori- graduation, job, house. All exciting. We are proud of you.

Traci- enjoy the planks and rotisserie chicken Wink

AFM- stayed up too late last night so I slept in this morning. I got four miles in earlier and the wind was a pain, but I got in my miles.

Make today and this year great

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Happy New Year!

I've been under the weather and today was the first time I ran in over a week. I am still not feeling well, but since my doctor thinks it could be stress related, I figured I should just get out there and do what I can. Apparently I'm allergic to the holidays. Smile  I ran a very slow 2.8 miles in very chilly (-4 F) overcast weather, and had frost on my face when I got home. That was entertaining, for sure!

I see everyone has continued to do amazing things while I was on the bench. Smile Nice work, Penguins! Keep it up!

B-Plus

Happy new year penguins.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Totally out of order ADD personals coming up!

Mitch - that's terribly annoying, such a long drive to have to turn around and go home. My old commute was exactly 22 miles.

Jerry - or carry an air horn! That would move them out of the way pretty quickly!

Kristin - oh that sucks. I had ITB issues in August, foam rolling and stretching was key to getting over it, and I think strength work has helped to keep it away for good (knock on wood). Squats and Romanian deadlifts strengthened all the muscles surrounding my ITB and it hasn't bothered me in months. And I have quads of steel now too, which is pretty cool.

Jack - safe travels for you and DW! Sounds like it'll be a fun trip Smile

Zelanie - have fun on your trip too! Smile

Was thinking of attaching bells on our shoes (like a cat).  Blush

SheCan

Happy New Years everyone!

Hope everyone's New Years races went well.

NMMickey hope you start feeling better.

Yesterday I got in a 17 mile LR and today and recovery 4 miles.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Sloooow.

Happy New Year everyone!

Docket- great job on the 15 miles! Wow.

Zelanie- hope your run went well. Seattle sounds like a bunch of fun, sure you'll have a bunch of fun.

Jerry-  fun times dodging the walkers! Bells, good idea! I had those for a Reindeer Run.

Jack- safe drive, and have a fun trip!

Lauren- how about going to some early weeks of C25K for a little while, so you can slowly test your leg out?

Tomas- good job on getting some windy miles in Smile

MNMIckey- I can't even imagine running somewhere so cold! Sheesh!

Jen- best of luck with the 10K

Kristen- sorry you are having so much trouble with your knee!

I'm on day 3 of being sick, and everything has moved to my sinuses and ears. I have tubes in both ears, including the one the tumour was removed from, and my ears are so congested they constantly pop and crackle. It's been freaking me out because fluid is a sign of the tumour regrowing.  I haven't ran in two days, so I'm going to try to get a couple of miles done on the treadmill later this afternoon.

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone! Happy new year!!! Hope you all had a great Christmas. Its back to work for me tomorrow and I'm so not looking forward to it, lol.

Anyways, finally got a run in yesterday did 4 miles at 10:16m/m. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to re-adjust my goal for the HM in Feb. Sad.

I do love my Saucony Triumphs though, so comfy.

Wife and I are about to start the Paleo, we have to get the food bought and get a meal plan all laid out before we can go buy what we need so probably won't happen until this weekend or next week.

Still thinking about starting a blog for my running / weight loss and how all that is going but have not decided 100% yet or not.

Anyways, talk to you all later.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

From the Internet.

Coralie - I may try that. I've been pondering whether it'd be helpful to get my shin back in shape with some walk/run intervals.

I did make it one slow, cautious mile today (10:53) - unfortunately it was in the street, I got to the track and realized that with 6" of snow it probably wouldn't be too much fun to run there, so I just stuck to flat ground as much as I could and focused on staying really light on my feet. Felt great to get out (and I got to play with my Garmin, so much better than my phone!) but I may end up taking another week or so depending on how the shin feels later/tomorrow. And depending on what the PT tells me when I go in on Thursday. At work right now but planning to ice after I get home, and I'm a few days into Venomized's shin splint routine.. hoping I can be a little smarter this time, both about sticking to a consistent plan for treatment/prevention and about easing back in, and get rid of these shin splints for good.