Beginners and Beyond

Week 35 Penguins are noshing on cupcakes! (08/16-08/22) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Cupcake Day is apparently an Australian holiday, but considering my weekend, I thought it was entirely appropriate for the Penguins.  You see, among other things, I did a LOT of baking this weekend!  I wanted muffins, and we had some huge carrots from our produce co-op, so I made carrot ginger raisin muffins.  I'm not really so much a ginger fan, and these had a LOT of ginger, but somehow they turned out to be truly amazing!  So, definite success there.

Then I made a couple of loaves of bread -- I used my whole wheat recipe, but swapped out half the flour for all-purpose, to try to lighten it up a bit.  It seemed to come out tasty, and worked great for grilled cheese sandwiches, so success again.

Then Sunday was my really ambitious baking.  I decided to take a run at ganache filled chocolate stout cupcakes with Bailey's frosting.  The cupcakes were easy enough, but then the ganache really didn't want to harden (I didn't wait long enough) and there was way too much of it, somehow, and then the frosting bore a slightly too close resemblance to cement (needed more Bailey's, clearly!)  So I made DH pipe the frosting, since he has better hand strength than I do, and I added another dollop of ganache on top.  They're a little scary, but very tasty!!  Definitely needs a glass of milk.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

It is always appropriate to have a Cupcake Day. I have cupcakes here at this moment, yum.

I have an RD. Heading to get my allergy shot at noon and then will lift after work.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

I would love to eat a cupcake or two right now. Carrot ginger or chocolate ganache. I haven't had one for a while, and I love cake.

Docket_Rocket

That reminds me to eat my cupcake for the day, lol.

Red velvet here.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Everyday is cupcake day, except for when you schedule a trip to be near the cupcake shop when they are closed 

GinnyinPA

D - I also saw that it is black cat appreciation day today. Are any of yours black?

Docket_Rocket

D - I also saw that it is black cat appreciation day today. Are any of yours black?

Yes! I have one black sexy baby. She is 13 1/2, sigh, but she and Hershey behave like babies.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Neither of mine are black.

I got DRENCHED on my bike ride out yesterday, as the entirety of the 40% chance of rain suddenly appeared and fell on my head.  So I drove home sopping wet and then immediately changed into my jammies and bathrobe.

Today is only 20%, so I should only get half as drenched on today's ride?

Singer who runs a smidge

Yesterday's ride was actually dry, woo-hoo!!  Then I got poured on during the drive home.  And a thunderstorm last night.  And another this morning.  So it looks like I'm done bike riding for the week, maybe next week will be better!  It's been quite a wet month so far.

Got lots of stuff to do today, including helping an aging facilities guy up into my ceiling to PM my air handler.  So I need to go move some equipment so he can get the ladder in.  It'll be an interesting morning, for sure!

Docket_Rocket

Yay for dry rides!

It was 54F this morning so I headed outside to run and ran 5. Sadly I had to work or I would've finished my full 8. Will run some more tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I think I could've biked today, but opted not to -- I have chorus Zoom on Thursdays, and it's kind of a struggle to bike, get home, have dinner, and get to the meeting by 7:00.  I often end up eating dinner through the first part of chorus, which isn't helpful for me and is distracting for the chorus.  So there you go.  Or there I go, anyway.

Work continues in its present level of crazy, but I've got a slightly better handle on what I can do in the course of a day, so my head is still above water so far.  I think that by the end of next month (1st quarter fiscal) I will have billed at least half of last year's total revenue.  Of course all this is out the window if we shut down again, and last year had two months of shutdown, so it's not like I'm comparing apples and oranges.  But it's been busy.  I'm not taking on any new projects until I get this big one done.  Hoping that's by mid-September.

Docket_Rocket

Hope you have a fun zoom choir meeting!  As you, it seems that this week has been too busy.

I have 16 but might move it to tomorrow since I'm off work then. I don't know which workout to do today but it will be something.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Having a humdrum Friday -- too much to do, but I'm doing as much of it as I can.  I am glad it's Friday, though I'll be taking some work home with me over the weekend, for sure.  No biking today, as it's supposed to pour this afternoon.  I was glad I gassed up my car this morning when it was only overcast!

Welp, on to it ...

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Ran 6 outside in 56F (so nice!) and I have more tonight after Pilates.

Glad you didn't bike today and be caught in the rain!

Damaris

Fundraising Page