Beginners and Beyond

Olympic triathlon - short recap with pics (Read 61 times)

happylily

Wonderful pictures! Huge congrats, Phil, on the placement in your first ever Olympic tri! I loved reading all about your race, though it's something I will never do myself, because I am too fragile and too chicken shit for something like this. You're the boss!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Results are finally up.  I finished 28 out of 77 overall.  NOT TOO SHABBY.

71 on the swim.  Yowsers.

44 on the bike.  Better, and not bad considering my limited time spent riding.

10 on the run.  Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  You would do well if you live here (we have many triathlons).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bluerun

Super B****

Olympic-"ish"!

Back in the days when I used to do triathlons, I was pretty much always the last one out of the water.  It was fine, though -- imagine if the first leg of a tri was your strongest, and then you fell farther and farther behind as the race went on instead of passing people all over the place?!  How demoralizing. 

Congrats on the AG!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Mmmmm...beer

Great job!!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Late to the party, but congrats!

I don't know whether it's better to be able to see everybody's AG, and know when you need to pass them, or just to assume that everybody is in your AG until you find out otherwise!

The order of events does play really well into your strength as a runner.  That's gotta feel awesome!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Olympic-"ish"!

Back in the days when I used to do triathlons, I was pretty much always the last one out of the water.  It was fine, though -- imagine if the first leg of a tri was your strongest, and then you fell farther and farther behind as the race went on instead of passing people all over the place?!  How demoralizing. 

Congrats on the AG!

That would be me. =P My relative skill is: swimming, biking, then running.  I think a triathlon would be so demoralizing for me that I've never tried one.  Also, up until 2 years ago I just didn't run at all.  (except at dry land practice where I'd suffer immensely and be made fun of by my teammates)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I freestyled 4x20m and was huffing and puffing...    fek  I am soooooo! out of swim practice... I used to be a fish 30 years ago...

delicate flower

The order of events does play really well into your strength as a runner.  That's gotta feel awesome!

Definitely, it is better to be getting stronger and passing people during the race rather than seeing everybody fly past you.  I have done seven triathlons now over the summer and I have been passed on the run (no lie) a grand total of zero times.  I think that also speaks to how much work my swim and bike need because I come out of them so far back in the back, relatively speaking.

I freestyled 4x20m and was huffing and puffing...    fek  I am soooooo! out of swim practice... I used to be a fish 30 years ago...

That is exactly how I felt when I started back in February.  Swim one pool length, stop and catch my breath for a minute, repeat.

Speaking of swimming, I got some official event pics.  Sweet!  (yes, that is me...there is a series of them)

<3

LRB

That's a nice pic Boon.