Beginners and Beyond

TGIM Penguins! (Read 25 times)

Zelanie

From the Internet.

Morning Pens!

3 minutes walk/7 jog x 3 at the track followed by some strides on the grass infield. Bumping up to 2 walk/8 jog on Thursday - getting so close to 30 minutes/3 miles again!!

GinnyinPA

Lauren - you'll be back to full running in no time.  Good for you taking it slowly though.  I made the mistake of following a too aggressive program for coming back from injury and paid for it.

Bin and Damaris - you've both got interesting destination races next weekend.  Hope you enjoy them.

Damaris - was the 80 only because of the competition?  Are you tapering this week?

Gustav - that's good mileage with no really long runs to bump it up.  Way to go.

Awood - sounds like a relaxing weekend.  WTG on the 53 mile week.

Jerry - enjoy the gym this evening.

Zelanie - sorry about the knee hurting.  I hope rest works its magic.

Kristin - that's a long plan.  I hope you are able to follow it for 5 months.  I'm hopeless at that.

I still haven't settled on a real plan for my HM.  I have a couple I'm using as sort of a base, but mostly I'm just winging it.  One day long, one day sort of fast, one day medium long, and two days short and easy.  My schedule is flexible, and I don't really like the rigidity of most plans.  My mileage is up to 30+ week, and my LR to 12, so I figure I could handle a race next week if I found one I wanted to do, but I have 3 months to get stronger and faster, hopefully.

AFM:  Today was supposed to be a long run, as it's the coolest day this week, but I woke to a downpour.  No way I'm spending 2 1/2 hours in that!  It's bad enough walking the dog in the rain.  So I'll do 5 or 6 on the TM.

Docket_Rocket

Am I tapering?  Yes, a bit.  ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Afternoon all!  Quick check in here.

Did the 96-mile ride on Saturday with my friend Andrew...actually most of it was waaaay behind him.  The hills of SE Ohio are beautiful, and it certainly made a painful ride much easier to handle.  There was only one hill (Triple Nickel) that made me stop, want to curl up in the fetal position, and cry mommy.  But as a member of Club EFI, I reloaded and climbed up Every Freaking Inch of the monster.  SRD yesterday...got some landscaping done for the DW.  6-7 easy planned today.

Jack-I really thought about slogging out 4 miles at the HS where we parked, but I was about 3 different types of toast when I got back to the car.  No brick.

Gustav, Damaris, Awood-Great high mileage weeks!

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Just a quick check in. 7 miles done at an 8:10 pace. Here's to a nice day.

Docket_Rocket

That is a lot of miles even on the bike!  Great job.

Afternoon all!  Quick check in here.

Did the 96-mile ride on Saturday with my friend Andrew...actually most of it was waaaay behind him.  The hills of SE Ohio are beautiful, and it certainly made a painful ride much easier to handle.  There was only one hill (Triple Nickel) that made me stop, want to curl up in the fetal position, and cry mommy.  But as a member of Club EFI, I reloaded and climbed up Every Freaking Inch of the monster.  SRD yesterday...got some landscaping done for the DW.  6-7 easy planned today.

Jack-I really thought about slogging out 4 miles at the HS where we parked, but I was about 3 different types of toast when I got back to the car.  No brick.

Gustav, Damaris, Awood-Great high mileage weeks!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

Gustav- Very nice mileage for the week, congrats!

Awood- That's an astonishing base mileage! How does your marathon plan peak?

Docket- 80 miles, good Lord. Speechless. I'm excited for your marathon, this is the SF one right?

Jerry- Very productive weekend indeed, have fun at the health club later.

Kristin- Enjoy your rest day. How does a 20 mile week compare to your previous weeks?

Zelanie- Sorry about your knee trouble. Plus side, it seems to be a 3 steps forward 1 step back kind of deal?

Bin- Enjoy your RD! Vacation again? Nice! Bali sounds awesome.

Lauren- Nice work on your run/walk intervals!

Ginny- I've always wanted to run in the rain, but for 2 1/2 hours? That doesn't sound much fun.

Fitfatboy- 96 miles. Wow. *Bow*. I'm glad you rested yesterday! Enjoy your 6-7 Smile

Not sure what the plan is for today. I'm on the treadmill now at .... 4.2 miles. Keeping it at 5mph and being good. Brought my laptop as I'm bored of my iPod music and trying Pandora. Hip feels a touch tight, but nothing like last week. I think the 2 days rest did me good.

Docket_Rocket

Yes, but you're probably more excited than I am, ha.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

Yes, but you're probably more excited than I am, ha.

Of course Smile I'm not running 26.2 miles, and I get to read an awesome RR and see pictures.

5.2 miles done. I think I'll aim for 16 this week.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today.  I am 'fighting' something.   Started last night with coughing, sweating, etc.   Took some Delsym for my coughing, very helpful, and went to bed early.  Sheets were soaked with sweat when I woke up, but I felt a lot better.  Still feel a 'touch' of whatever it was, but not as bad as yesterday, so am hoping it's just some 24-hour thingy.  Yesterday, I ran 3 easy miles.  Then came home and mowed the front lawn, got that done and it started to rain, bah.   Took a shower, watched some TV....rain was over by late morning, then it got really hot and humid, grass dried out, so I figured I'd do the back lawn too instead of putting it off.  By the time I was done I was hot and drenched in sweat. Took a cold shower, which felt good...but then started getting that sweat, chills, and coughing later, so maybe I 'shocked' my system too much.  Joking  Will just take it easy till tomorrow, hopefully get this all out of my system, and then do a morning run.

Morning runs probably ALL this week, as our temps all this week will not be under 91 degrees and when I looked at the 'feels like' temp, they are all over 95 at my usual after-work running time, gaack!

San Antonio, TX 78201

Today

Mostly Cloudy92°

Mostly Cloudy

Tue

Mostly Sunny91°

Mostly Sunny

Wed

Mostly Cloudy93°

Mostly Cloudy

Thu

Partly Cloudy95°

Partly Cloudy

Fri

Partly Cloudy95°

Partly Cloudy

Sat

Partly Cloudy95°

Partly Cloudy

Sun

Partly Cloudy96°

Partly Cloudy

Tonight

Partly Cloudy74°

Partly Cloudy

Tue Night

Partly Cloudy74°

Partly Cloudy

Wed Night

Partly Cloudy75°

Partly Cloudy

Thu Night

Mostly Clear74°

Mostly Clear

Fri Night

Partly Cloudy74°

Partly Cloudy

Sat Night

Partly Cloudy75°

Partly Cloudy

So I guess it's morning for me, even though the humidity is a lot higher around here in the morning than in the PM

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I keep trying, Gustav, to make some moohla with a winning lottery ticket, but so far it ain't happening...so I'm back to work today too. Congrats on your weekly miles!

Congrats on your highest mileage total, Awood, and good luck with your training!

You earned a rest, Damaris, with all those miles!  Read your total in the dailies.  Dang!

Enjoy your after-work health club workout, Jerry! BTW, can you come clean my gutters too?

Happy training, Kristin.  Hope your Wizard program gives you magic!

Sorry about your running weekend, Zelanie.  I sure hope you can figure out this knee problem.   Hope you are not heading down the 'surgery' road...

Gee, Bin, when you live in a vacation paradise already, where can you go on vacation? Wink  Ah, Bali..yeah, that would work...Joking

Coralie, where do  you put your laptop on a treadmill?  Or do you just run while your holding it in your outstretched hands.  Wink  I like Pandora, but I'm not a 'premier' member, so after a while it 'times out' on me and I have to keep clicking the "I'm still listening' button.   Kind of a pain, but I'm El-Cheapo, I like free....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sloooow.

Scotty, I hope the bug passes you by quickly! Definitely go easy on yourself and give your body time to catch up. My treadmill has a kind of strip a long the front, that holds the laptop tight. It's an Incline Trainer, so it's obviously easier to use a laptop while walking. Running, not so much. I noticed the time-outs on Pandora, and the advertisements, but it will do for now!

SheCan

Afternoon Penguins!  I was late getting into here.

Gustav, Awood, and Docket--- great wonderful job on your miles last week.

zelanie-- sorry your knee is acting up again.  Maybe you just over did it a bit last week.  Got my fingers crossed a bit of rest will help.

D, hope you're going somewhere fun, too!  For the marathon, I assume?  She's going to my DREAM marathon, and I'm jealous!  LOL but I'm glad she's getting to go.

Bin-- yay@ Bali!  How exciting!

Lauren-- glad you're doing so well!   Those little improvements so add up.

Ginny-- I never used much of a plan for HM and shorter races.  I'd be sensible, and work up my mileage, while incorporating some speed and hills.  I think if you stay focused on the goal you'll be fine.  Sorry about your run being rained out today.  Being here in AZ though, I sure wouldn't mind having a bit of that water falling from our sky.

FFBoy--- woooohoooo@ 96 mile bike ride!  Good cross fitness workout!   Plus, landscaping.  How lucky your DW is!

Jack-- hey ya!  Good job on your fast miles!

Coralie-- great job on your miles, and good for you for using restraint.  Seriously though, Coralie, I run almost all my miles super slow.  Today I was running tons of hills and trails and was going well over 11 min. miles, and would even walk when I had to.  Plus, you'd be surprised at how many people I pass late into races once everyone else starts getting worn out, and I'm still going along at my even pokey paces.

Scotty-- Sorry you're feeling so puny right now.  Hopefully this will blow over soon, and you'll be out there burning up the trails once more.  You were right, it IS hotter here then in San Antonio, but probably just this month.  June is our hottest month and then (crosses fingers) monsoons come in and things cool off.  But man, I'm soooooooooo ready for things to cool off already.

I needed to do a long run today, but didn't get about until 8ish, so by then it was stinking hot.  So I drove out to post where there's more elevation and shade.  I got in 10 miles on the road, then drove over to the gym and got in 5 more on the TM.  Kind of feel like  I'm cheating to break it up like that, but when it's so hot, that's about the only way I can get the miles in.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

I'm sure it won't feel like a dream to me as I head into the first hill, LOL.  Hope you can do it one day!

Damaris

Fundraising Page