Beginners and Beyond

Training for a HM on the TM? (Read 78 times)

Rubybaby43

enabler

Due to a crazy work schedule this winter, I was unable to get much outdoor running done.  I would have to say that 80-85% of my training for my HM next weekend was done on the TM out in the garage (had DH move it to the garage so I would blow up in the heat in the house).

I don't really have any questions, per se, but I am curious to see how many of you have had to do most of your training for a long race on the TM?  And how "successful" did you feel about the race afterward?

KLO

more miles = more beer

Sloooow.

What is your longest run outside?

I haven't ran any long distance race, but 80% of my running is on the treadmill due to kids and schedules. My longest run is over 5 miles on the treadmill. I went a month without running outside around my surgery time, and my first 2 mile run left my legs so sore I couldn't run for 3 days. Running outside just uses different muscles.

I'm sure others will have better input, I'm pretty sure Lily uses the treadmill in training a lot, and she is super fast.

Well I have no input from personal experience; I hate the treadmill & ran outdoors through the winter in all manner of awful conditions to avoid it. And I am not sure what the general opinion on this is. (Aren't I helpful?)

But check out the log of this guy, who is one of the highest mileage guys on all of RA, and blazing fast. He does a ton of treadmill workouts. Not sure if it is personal preference, or the fact that he lives in Minnesota, or what. (Someone in B&B knows him, I think it was Fuzzy.) But apparently it can be done.

Don S

Dave

MrNamtor

Anyone who says you can't train successfully for a long distance race on a treadmill, i have just one word - Happylily.

Edit:  Didn't see Coralie's post before

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I generally do most of my runs on the treadmill during the week, but outside on the weekends regardless of whether or not I'm training for an event.  However, after the races were said and done after a serious training effort that included the TM, I did feel successful about them.  But I think that had more to do with the QUALITY of the workouts that I was doing vs. the location of them.

For instance, I did the Danbury Half Marathon on Sunday, and while it was hilly as hell, I still managed to run a new half PR, even though I usually suck at hills.  But going into the race and studying the course elevation, I knew it was going to be hilly, so I made sure I did hill training at least once every 10 days, whether it was on the treadmill or outside.  I also do all of my speed work and tempo runs on the treadmill, as the nearest track isn't close by, and it's better than having to deal with cars and traffic in my general area when trying to maintain a certain speed.

Rubybaby43

enabler

What is your longest run outside?

I haven't ran any long distance race, but 80% of my running is on the treadmill due to kids and schedules. My longest run is over 5 miles on the treadmill. I went a month without running outside around my surgery time, and my first 2 mile run left my legs so sore I couldn't run for 3 days. Running outside just uses different muscles.

I'm sure others will have better input, I'm pretty sure Lily uses the treadmill in training a lot, and she is super fast.

11.5 miles (outdoors...14 on the TM) for this particular race.  I'm not worried about the distance.  This is my fourth HM.  But it's the only one I have ever run ANY of the training on a TM...let alone most of the training.  And for the record, I could only dream of running as fast as Lily!

Well I have no input from personal experience; I hate the treadmill & ran outdoors through the winter in all manner of awful conditions to avoid it. And I am not sure what the general opinion on this is. (Aren't I helpful?) LOL!!

But check out the log of this guy, who is one of the highest mileage guys on all of RA, and blazing fast. He does a ton of treadmill workouts. Not sure if it is personal preference, or the fact that he lives in Minnesota, or what. (Someone in B&B knows him, I think it was Fuzzy.) But apparently it can be done.

Don S

I know Fuzzy...I'm in MN as well.  I didn't know he ran most of his miles on the TM.  And now he's running Boston...that crazy bastard!  haha!

I generally do most of my runs on the treadmill during the week, but outside on the weekends regardless of whether or not I'm training for an event.  However, after the races were said and done after a serious training effort that included the TM, I did feel successful about them.  But I think that had more to do with the QUALITY of the workouts that I was doing vs. the location of them.

For instance, I did the Danbury Half Marathon on Sunday, and while it was hilly as hell, I still managed to run a new half PR, even though I usually suck at hills.  But going into the race and studying the course elevation, I knew it was going to be hilly, so I made sure I did hill training at least once every 10 days, whether it was on the treadmill or outside.  I also do all of my speed work and tempo runs on the treadmill, as the nearest track isn't close by, and it's better than having to deal with cars and traffic in my general area when trying to maintain a certain speed.

Thank you, Daisy!!  Congrats on the PR!  Now, if only I had been running more than just a few pathetic hills on the TM this winter... We'll see if I'll be able to say the same as you after next weekend.

Thanks, all!!  Smile

KLO

more miles = more beer

Rubybaby43

enabler

Anyone who says you can't train successfully for a long distance race on a treadmill, i have just one word - Happylily.

Edit:  Didn't see Coralie's post before

Hi, you!  Didn't want to ignore you... Wink

KLO

more miles = more beer

I know Fuzzy...I'm in MN as well.  I didn't know he ran most of his miles on the TM.  And now he's running Boston...that crazy bastard!  haha!

No, I was talking about Don S, whose RA log I linked at the bottom of my post. Follow the link & check it out.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

I know Don S and he runs crazy miles, as in 20 miles per day.  He trains mostly on the treadmill and he is super fast.  Kristy, I think you might friends in him in FB, but if not, let me know and I'll link you his profile so you can send him a PM.  He is very nice.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Thank you, Daisy!!  Congrats on the PR!  Now, if only I had been running more than just a few pathetic hills on the TM this winter... We'll see if I'll be able to say the same as you after next weekend.

Thanks, all!!  Smile

No problem!  Good luck!  Smile

Another thing is that I still try to do a harder session once a week even if I'm not training for an event.  I try to rotate through tempo runs, speed intervals, and hill intervals on the treadmill.  The workout for hills on the treadmill is below (copied and pasted from RW):

Workout: Six/Sevens

1 Set: 90 seconds @ 6 percent grade and marathon pace
                      1-minute recovery @ flat jog
                      1 minute @ 7 percent grade and marathon pace
                      2-minute recovery @ flat jog

Do 6-10 sets.

Workout No. 1 comes from masters ace and long-time coach Gary Silver, who lives and trains in flat Florida. "This is a great hill program on a treadmill. You want to run the hill at your 5K race effort, which, in this workout, occurs at just slightly faster than your marathon pace. Increase the incline simultaneously with the speed -- do not start your clock until the treadmill is at 6 percent and the speed has increased to marathon pace. I suggest four to six sets the first week's workout, then six to eight, then eight to 10. If you were to do this hill workout leading into the Boston Marathon, I think you might even say that the Boston course is flat!"

cmb4314

I trained for Get Lucky 2011 almost entirely on the treadmill because of the snow, and Get Lucky 2012 mostly on the treadmill because I hadn't gotten over the hump of running outside in the dark with a headlamp.

The first one went VERY well - my previous PR was 2:04 and my goal was to break 2 hours, and I got out there and felt so good that I ended up running a 1:55.  I run much faster outside than on the mill, so I felt like I was released from a cage when I got out on the road to run the race.

The second one - well, you were there, so you know that it was randomly 85 degrees in March in Minnesota, and that thing turned into a death march for most of us Joking.  Though, with a PR of 1:55, and walking a bunch between miles 9 and 13, I still pulled off a 1:58 - I think if it had been cold like it was supposed to be, I'd have done quite well.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

LRB

...But it's the only one I have ever run ANY of the training on a TM...let alone most of the training. 

I avoid that thing like the plague.  Having said that, you will most likely set PR's across the board just to spite me!  Joking

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

From an article by Matt Fitzgerald on treadmill training:

Even some elite runners embrace their treadmills. Both the male and female winners of the 2000 US Olympic Trials Marathons, Rod DeHaven and Christine Clark, were heavy treadmill users. In fact, Clark, an Alaskan, did almost all of her training on a treadmill in her basement in preparation for the Olympic Trials.

Kristy, I'd say you were in good company.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MrNamtor

:-*

Hi, you!  Didn't want to ignore you... Wink

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

I run on a TM for about 6 months every year and typically log 1000-1500 KM of training during that time.  I've run many HM's and haven't noticed any difference in race performance whether I trained for them on a TM or outside.

On a TM I can do strides, fartlek, tempo runs, intervals, and hills just like I would if I was training outside so I can train just as effectively on the TM.  The only thing I've noticed is that if I've trained on the TM and the race course is on pavement, I will feel it a bit in my legs but it's nothing that I can't easily handle.

One thing that's good to know is how accurate the reported speed on your TM is so that you can adjust your training paces accordingly.  If you do that then there shouldn't be any surprises when you transition from the TM to running outside.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb