Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Zero Prostate 5K and 10K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photos: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2046%20Zero%20Prostate%20Cancer%205K

BEFORE THE START

Zero Prostate Cancer 5K was my 46th race of 2016.  There was also a 10K and a kid's run.  Event raised money for prostate cancer research, etc.  Race venue was the very nice Missions County Park in San Antonio, with pavilions, restrooms, water fountains and part of the Mission Reach Riverwalk paved trails quite near the park.  Pretty nice turn-out for this popular event.  When I picked my packet up the RD told me there were about 900 registered.  I don't know if they all showed up, but the park pavilion and surrounding area was quite a busy little place before-and-after the races.

Start time for the 10K, 8:20 a.m., start time for the 5K: 8:25 a.m.  I admit finding this a bit puzzling cuz my first thought was the speedy 5K people at the front were probably going to run right into the back-of-the-pack 10K people.  I thought it might have been better if maybe the 10K folks had started at 8 and then we 5K folks started around 8:20.  Anyway, it seemed to all work out, I didn't hear any complaints about congestion, etc., when I was wandering around and chatting to people after the finish.

I got there with about an hour to start time for me and wandered around getting photos of volunteers, participants, supporters, etc.  Folks wearing the red "Zero" shirts are wearing the race shirt that participants got.  I think there was a blue one too but I may be mistaken.  I got red...very nice tech tee shirt, I like it.

My lovely friend Carolyn, who did the 10K....so I could not get any motivation on the course from her by chasing her Great Legs, since I was doing the 5K. 

photo 015_zpsvlpulc56.jpg

She makes an old man like me look good, though!

photo 016_zpsrclezbzr.jpg

iaapweb.com timing and results guys....

photo 025_zpsurxjlzus.jpg

My prostate cancer survivor friend, Bill, who did the 10K.

photo 033_zpslc4lkcfp.jpg

My bud, Roy and his son

photo 028_zpsupfiow3i.jpg

photo 029_zps2oq2kn75.jpg

Roy carried The Flag for the whole 5K course, with his son accompanying him.

photo 036_zpsqglukyso.jpg

photo 001_zpsv9yorjyq.jpg

photo 003_zpsd25jfzc7.jpg

photo 004_zps0fbxribh.jpg

photo 005_zpsukt1aaug.jpg

Coffee and donuts for those who needed to load up.

photo 006_zpsvwj8rmky.jpg

Some of my running pals at the "Scallywompus" tent, promoting upcoming Scallywompus events, which are also really good events - <cite>www.scallywompus.com</cite>

<cite> photo 007_zpsesummixq.jpg photo 008_zps0odeef8h.jpg</cite>

photo 022_zpsjj8n477a.jpg

Our inimitable and indomitable MC, Mark Purnell, who always does a great job.

photo 009_zpsejjtzorm.jpg

My favorite volunteers - the BEER guys.   My first stop after I finished.  

photo 010_zps4pa5saat.jpg

photo 011_zpsvmg7hxc6.jpg

photo 012_zpss7vzvzxj.jpg

photo 013_zpsfkfwpwy4.jpg

photo 017_zpsoc9uxo5b.jpg

photo 018_zpsj4bo2dnc.jpg

photo 020_zpsl3iru4wk.jpg

photo 021_zpsv5zoqwgf.jpg

photo 026_zpsfa3aw72z.jpg

photo 027_zpslgjgujd6.jpg

photo 030_zps5v3rpvav.jpg

photo 031_zpsxrwqwvsd.jpg

photo 032_zpsg5o5svuh.jpg

photo 034_zpsloqp8lnt.jpg

photo 037_zpss2hma4go.jpg

Running for people in their hearts and minds..

photo 038_zpscayurs0v.jpg

photo 039_zpslbwhb1fd.jpg

photo 040_zpsagovyrmd.jpg

When I first saw the backs of their shirts, I thought the were prostate QUEENS, lol....and maybe they are, with the care they give

photo 041_zpsvgmagto1.jpg

..but on closer inspection, realized it was probably the name of a facility

photo 042_zpsdwz07bvp.jpg

photo 043_zpsaqpiogvh.jpg

photo 044_zpsfunbxruo.jpg

10K folks are on the road.  5K folks getting ready to start

photo 045_zpsmu3fmmk1.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Out and back course. Started at the park pavilion, out onto paved roads to a turn-around point under a bridge near the Mission Reach Riverwalk Trail and then back the way we had come.  I was feeling pretty good and ended up with a finish time of 34:16, 7th in my 60 - 69 age group.  The top 3 guys in my age group all finished in the 20's, sheesh.

photo 046_zps4uuyop3n.jpg

photo 047_zps9lx2qal5.jpg

photo 048_zpssbco6r3s.jpg

photo 049_zpsnz697yw4.jpg

photo 050_zps5msms2it.jpg

photo 051_zps86rwwozc.jpg

Turn-around point volunteers and water stop volunteers

photo 052_zpschnwaiqt.jpg

photo 053_zpskbpl4dfa.jpg

I'm now heading back to the park

photo 054_zpssz8rupie.jpg

photo 055_zpssegs1dof.jpg

photo 056_zps4i3ggbae.jpg

photo 057_zpsiy1dcdz4.jpg

I tried to get this guy, heading to the turn-round point, to come to my side and give me a ride back.  No go.

photo 058_zpsktfssjij.jpg

photo 059_zpsnicsuwwy.jpg

After that last photo, I hoofed it nonstop for the last 1.2 miles to the finish. Haven't done that in a while.  Leg I injured in March definitely feeling better!

AFTER THE FINISH

Oh yeah......there was also water, sausages/hot dogs, beans, etc., and a food truck was there too.  The blue towel I have was in an iced wading pool at the finish and volunteers handed them out to all finishers, which was nice, cuz it was very humid out there, with the temp already near 80.

photo 060_zps2mznqy0x.jpg

photo 062_zpsou3xdqsl.jpg

Me with the lovely Race Director, Jody.

photo 064_zpslxs7pen0.jpg

photo 065_zps6ffhp10c.jpg

photo 066_zps5hc32j5o.jpg

Me, 10K Bill - who finished first in his age group - and the 72 year old gentleman I ran a bit with on the 5K course.

photo 067_zpslvnryg5j.jpg

The gentleman finished 2nd in his age group..

photo 076_zpsadw0bpyt.jpg

Bill and his number 1 supporter.  She sure makes Bill look good doesn't she? 

photo 068_zpstydvgl6z.jpg

Bill and I encountered the San Antonio Spurs Coyote....

photo 069_zpsjnxiz7t2.jpg

...and Coyote's protection detail, lol

photo 071_zpsmvwmawz6.jpg

My friend, Robert, enjoying a cold one after his under-an-hour  finish in the 10K

photo 072_zps5webgwsf.jpg

photo 073_zpst62pnc2x.jpg

photo 075_zpsowelyri9.jpg

photo 077_zpsl1cleg8q.jpg

photo 078_zpstsbglz4a.jpg

photo 079_zpsbw8mgmmg.jpg

Carolyn and friend Sara

photo 080_zps2ttvdgcs.jpg

Carolyn was 2nd in her age group

photo 082_zpsjpvsafwv.jpg

Yeah, I know how to make myself look good.. 

photo 081_zpsa9uqx51i.jpg

Madison was the only doggie there.  When she found out I had biscuits, I was her best friend, lol.

photo 083_zpsncaxjp9w.jpg

photo 084_zpsw6yzubcq.jpg

photo 085_zpscscavqxl.jpg

This pavilion was the place to cool off, post-race.  Shade, cool floors, huge ceiling fans....

photo 086_zps37t1r5qe.jpg

photo 087_zpsiy9nncup.jpg

EPILOGUE

Love this event and have done it in the past.  This year though it was more 'personal' for me as my PSA is a bit high so my doc is having me do some tests.   It's all good, as retired military I have great health care with quite regular checkups and the medical staff that takes care of me is very good.  Hopefully this will be nothing but, if not, it will be at least caught very early, which is key, as I know from personal experience.  We men can be kinda stupid about things like this, when it comes to prostate, colon, etc.,  and often wait too long to get checked.  So don't be stupid....get screened regularly!   Yeah, I'm talking to YOU over there!  

Nice race venue, nice course - just start a little earlier with that darn humidity, lol - but probably doesn't matter....this is Texas summer, it's humid most of the day around - nice post-race goodies, nice tech tees, etc.  Definitely a keeper on the race calendar.  Mucho thanks to all the folks that made this one happen for we participants, all you volunteers, law enforcement, sponsors, vendors, MC, iaapweb.com course set-up and timing folks, etc.   Thanks for being out there for us!

OK, I can go take a nap now, since my report is done...and my idiot Redskins lost to the Cowboys today, so no more football I want to watch to day until the Green Bay game (go Packers!)...I have a feeling my Redskins might end up in the basement this season in our division........well, at least the majority of my college teams are doing well.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I hope your prostate issue turns out to be nothing, and I'm glad you've got good medical care to deal with it.  Good luck.