Beginners and Beyond

Would you wear any Boston 2014 merchandise? (Read 104 times)

Nevrgivup

I have quite a few tech tees from local races that I didn't run, thanks to thrift store cherry picking.  If asked about that particular race, I'd just shrug and tell the truth:  "I didn't run this one, but it's a nice shirt for $2 at Amvets."

Marathons are different.  My Dad got me a Boston 2012 hoodie since he was there shortly after the race, and I wouldn't put the thing on until I had qualified for 2013.  I still won't wear it out -- someone is bound to ask "how did you survive the 90 degree heat?!"

And the 2013 jacket? It is an attention magnet.  Run in it, and cars honk.  Put it on after a race, and strangers will come up and start talking about their Boston experiences as if I've known them for years.  If I'm not feeling especially social, I won't wear it.  Definitely not something I'd wear if I hadn't been there.

Jay. That is funny you say that about last years jacket. I have volunteered for the last 3 years and still won't bring myself to wear my 2013 jacket. Too many bad memories attached to last year. The only time I wore it again was with a group of volunteers that I met at the memorial. This year I will be proud to wear one. I agree its define an attention magnet and when it comes to talking about last years experience I'd rather not unless I want to.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

RSX

Mike, the term "sacred jacket" made me laugh. lol I agree that it's kind of weird for a non-runner to want to wear a Boston jacket. But I guess it's a way for that lady to show pride in her DH's Boston marathon...

I said sacred jacket because this is a huge topic in the Boston section of RWOL. Doesn't matter what year it is, once the jacket is available on-line all these posts come out. Apparently most people hate the orange color but does it stop any of them from buying it, probably not. So many people are afraid that there won't be any left at the Expo. The jacket love cracks me up. I have yet to buy it (years I did run it) as I love my volunteer jackets.

I will go the Expo and may check out the shirts this time or look on Ebay after the race.