Beginners and Beyond

So I Went To See My Doc... (Read 193 times)

No more marathons

The issue with the inguinal hernia repair is there is a large collection of nerves in that area so occasionally you will feel some pain during the run and definitely after the run. Keep in mind though I didn't need mine repaired until 7 years after diagnosis. If you had it done soon after diagnosis, you may heal quicker.

Same here - about six years ago during an annual physical I told my Doc about a pain that came and went on the left side, lower abdomen.  He felt around for awhile, said it was most likely a small hernia and to let it go until it was worth fixing.  Said it wouldn’t heal itself but wouldn’t really cause any major problems as long as I didn’t mind the occasional discomfort.  I mostly notice it on runs of over 13 or 14 miles.  Of course, I don’t do any heavy lifting like Dave – other than the occasional heavy lager.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Yeah, hernias heal really fast.  I have a friend who raced a 5k a few weeks after his and PR'd... probably wasn't WISE to do so, but hey.  Good luck with the surgery!

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Mitch (hog4life) and I can relate, buddy.  We  both had hernia operations a few years ago...on the SAME day coincidentally, lol.  You know what, now that I think about it...our cancer was in the same area too!  What the heck is going on here?  I hear "Twilight Zone" music... Shocked    Wink

Anyway, mine was bi-lateral. They initially thought I had one, but when they got in there, they found another one on the other side.  Now I have a big ole hunking piece of mesh tacked across my whole abdomen. In my case, it took me about 6 weeks to come back. I've been doing well since the surgery (2005) and you should not have any problems either.    The only thing I found post-surgery was that sometimes the mesh "adjusts" to your body (like when you lose weight, your body shape changes, etc)..it 'incorporates' itself into your flesh...and at those times you do feel, for about a week to 10 days some 'mesh neuropathy" and a bit of discomfort.  The first time it happened, I thought I was having a recurrence and went back to see my surgeon.  He made sure I did not have a recurrence, and then explained to me about the mesh and the"adjusting" etc.  So if you feel that,  you'll know what it is, if you had the mesh procedure done.   Your doc can explain it better than I am doing here, I'm sure.

Anyway, you should do well.  Speedy recovery!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Mine got to the point where I couldn't stand up without having to push my intestines back in. I couldn't walk 10 feet without being in extreme pain.

Man, SUS, that sucks!  I'm glad mine never got to that point, it does not sound like fun at all!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I hope you get better soon!

Docket_Rocket

How is the recovery going, Dave?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

How is the recovery going, Dave?

Hmm...Well, let's just say that my surgeon might chastise me for what I "have" to do. Should I be resting? I suppose. Instead, the workers I hired to help finish the chicken coop flaked out on me, so I have been forced to finish it myself. Get up at 5AM and go to work. Leave work early to see mother in nursing facility and get materials. Come home, change and work on chicken coop...

My wife gets on me for doing the work myself, but when I ask "Do you have any better ideas?" I'm met with silence. Needless to say, I'm still hurting.

Don't hurt yourself because of some chickens.

But that is looking fancy.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Take it easy, PGD! Chickens can wait. We used to have some and they were a lot of fun.