Beginners and Beyond

Wounded Warriors...so motivating! (Read 13 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Tuesday morning at Fort Sam I did 5.1 miles with 5 hills on the route. And here is who helped me get it done...while going up Hill 2, I was thinking "very humid out here, and I am a bit tired, maybe just do 3 miles instead." Then I heard footsteps behind me...and after that there is suddenly a Wounded Warrior with a prosthetic leg running right with me. We both went up that hill together, step for step, chatting along the way. At the top, we each had a different route planned, so we wished each other well and went our separate ways. As I ran on, I thought about that guy and told myself, "oh yeah, I am getting this planned 5 done." And so I did! And felt pretty darn strong for my last 3 miles too. One reason I love running on Fort Sam, you often see Wounded Warriors out doing their chosen thing, and these folks are so motivating and inspiring. This guy came along right when I needed some motivation, and I felt really privileged to run with him for a bit. 5.1 miles and 5 fairly big (steep) hills done in just a tad over an hour. I think I am ready for Buffalo Hump 5-mile event I am doing this weekend. Thanks, Wounded Warrior!

I know the guy told me his name as we chatted, but it's gone right out of my old man brain.  I hope I see him again on a future run so I can thank him!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

On my last HM there were several Veterans groups participating, some with flags and some without.  One of the racers was a wounded warrior with a prosthetic leg.  He ran well, and as you said, it did make my aches and pains seem minor in comparison.