Beginners and Beyond

Weirdest thing someone has warned you will happen to you from running? (Read 509 times)

RSX

My ex was rooting for a car to hit me. Good times.

@runjerseygirl

My ex was rooting for a car to hit me. Good times.

I think that would be too inconvenient for my husband.  God forbid he have to mess with arrangements after the fact.  It may disrupt his life.

Do you even run?

Mostly harmless

My Dad supports my running but at the same time he has confessed that he's afraid I'm going to be one of those guys that has a heart attack in the middle of a race and drops dead.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My mom thinks that I am ruining my body by running ultras.  "Why can't you just run marathons?"

Note: Do not show your mother your feet after running for 15+ hours in rain, through creeks, and mud.

Running is dumb.

ninian

Made me laugh as my mum said she was worried that I would become one of them 'sickly' looking runners as I am already pretty skinny and I don't want to overdo it. The weekly mileage I run is pretty trivial compared to most on here!

catwhoorg

Labrat

My mom thinks that I am ruining my body by running ultras.  "Why can't you just run marathons?"

Note: Do not show your mother your feet after running for 15+ hours in rain, through creeks, and mud.

Or co-workers.

Ask me how I know this...

And it wasn't even through creeks and mud, but a whole lot of rain and standing water.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Just B.S.

Depends on who your Mother is!LOL

I am trying to plant the seed with our older son to do a 50k with us this summer. I have run half's

with him but never a full.

He ran a marathon with his Dad in 2005 and 2006 but that was back when I was just doing 1/2's.

I really want to run a full or longer with my boy!!

RSX

I have webbed toes so some of my friends would advise me not to show my feet to anyone ever. Those ones know not to leave a camera unattended.

aponi

never runs the tangents

mostly the knee thing which is funny to me because my knees are better now that I run than they were when I was involved in martial arts.

People around me seem to delight in letting me know about it when someone dies in a race.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I've been warned about many things regarding my running, mostly by runners (too much TM, you run easy too fast, not enough warm-ups, too many LRs, no carb loading? OMG you are doomed...). I must be some sort of alien, I guess... Big grin

You MUST be an alien, look at those marathon times!!! Shocked

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

pcolajen

kind of a big deal

i honestly can't think of anything specific.

i do remember my mom worrying about me when i ran my first marathon. when nothing bad happened she chilled out a bit. i know she still worries though, so i'll text her after a race for her peace of mind.

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

still waiting for my uterus to fall out.  I don't need it anymore, anyway.

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

No one actually seems to care much about what I do but when my kid started running EVERYONE told me it would stunt his growth.  Kid has grown a foot and a half in the past year.

sugnim

I'm pretty sure the whole human species would have died out many thousands of years ago if a little bit of physical activity a few times a week caused spontaneous uterus loss.

I'm imagining a paleontologist happening upon a massive area of fossilized uterus imprints from an ancient, all women's 5K.

Coastal

I've been told I'm getting "compulsive" about running.  My answer is "Good, I'm trying to be."

My doctor asks me how my knees are.  He's into hard core biking.  Next time I'm going to ask him how his hemorrhoids are.