Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's 4th of July Weekend (Read 16 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.5 this morning. Stayed on the streets to avoid the trail congestion.

So what's the agenda for the long weekend?  Ours is staying home with the kiddies visiting and getting their help to figure out all the new car features.  Maybe I should have gotten a self driving Tesla !!!

Have a safe weekend Smile

PADRunner

Morning Jerry, ran the 5k this morning ~ 32. Work later.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crappy running week as I've been fighting some kind of nasal/really annoying cough stuff.  Got some miles in on Tuesday and Wednesday, very short easy run/walks.  Took off Thursday and Friday, saw the doc on Friday - who said my lungs were clear, so at least I can do my 4th of July 5K, but will probably finish dead last, lol.   Saturday morning, a friend, Karen, my wife Gail, and me went to Fort Sam in the early a.m.   Gail and Karen walked 4 miles; I ended up with 3.4 miles and actually felt pretty good, congestion/cough wise, after taking my prescribed meds on Friday.  After the Saturday morning run, we all went to breakfast.  Nice outing with Karen and my wife.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  I have 7 miles with strides tonight.  Hope your weekend is going well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

7 this morning for me.

I had an unusual thing happen after my race yesterday. After the race yesterday I got in my truck and started driving away and everything seemed really bright. It was probably 30 minutes after the finish of the race. It lasted maybe a couple of minutes.

I read a little about hard exercise causing pupil dilation but it's never happened to me before and it was 30 minutes after the race. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

GinnyinPA

PAD - could it be something to do with endorphins?  I just get to feeling really good after a run, though not usually after a race.

Scotty - sorry you're dealing with a cold/congestion.  Good luck tomorrow.

Jerry - enjoy the kids and the new car.

D - I hope your seven went well.

We're in Alaska at last. It's a lot busier than the areas we were wandering in Canada.  Wetter too. Our goal for the long weekend was to avoid crowds.  So far, so good.  We stayed the night at a free backcountry campground in Wrangell St. Elias NP yesterday.  I ran the dirt road out of the campground yesterday and we did a nice hike this afternoon. Today the priority was a much needed hot shower. I had a good week last week with a total of 30 running miles.  We saw lots of runners in Dawson City, but most of my runs have been solo out of the campground.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy 4th Penguins.

Enjoy Alaska, Ginny.  We are considering an Alaska Runningcruise next year.  That is how we camp Smile

PADRunner

Decided on the tm due to rain. Step on the tm and power went out.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Ran 11 with 7 @ HMP on the TM last night.  I have Pilates class and 7 miles tonight.

Happy 4th!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Rain stopped so I got to run. Still no power.

Zelanie

If there was sun poking through the clouds, I could run on the TM if there was enough juice from the solar to power the TM!  One cloud goes over and it would lurch to a stop, though, yikes!

I had a crazy adventurous trip to Denver.  I leave on Wednesday for a quick trip to LA.  I'm doing as little as possible in between. :P