Beginners and Beyond

My medical DNS, Philly fail, my depressed mood (Updated) (Read 122 times)

Hip Redux

Holy smokes!  Good luck!

Philliefan33

Yikes George, that's a bit more involved than a "pulled hamstring".  I'm sorry to hear that you'll have to go through surgery, but I agree with you that surgery / long recovery to get back to original strength is a lot better than only having 70% strength in your leg.

Keep us posted, and feel free to come here to whine.

happylily

Sounds awful, but at least they found the problem and they can fix it. I'm sending you good vibes for a successful surgery and recovery!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Damn, I had a feeling you'd be looking at a long stint on the DL.  Being a sports fan, when I hear about an injury I automatically think about how long that injury would land a player on the DL and equate that to the severity of the injury.  I figured a torn hammy usually lands a baseball player on the 60 day DL with a long rehab assignment afterwards.

Best of luck to you, man.  Don't be a stranger around here while you're recovering.  Folks here were hugely supportive and encouraging during my injury time. 

<3

LRB

I have a complete avulsion (tear) of the right proximal hamstring from the tuberosity, retracted perhaps 4cm.  Basically the muscle is off the bone by 1.5 inches.

She has scheduled surgery for tomorrow with an overnight stay.  Six weeks in a hip brace to immobilize the hamstring.  No driving, have to use crutches.

Geeezus, you know how to tear a muscle I will say that!

Running actually does not cost me much, my running injuries however, have cost me a small fortune!

Happy healing!

Love the Half

I just got back from the Doctors visit and the review of the radiologist report.  I have a complete avulsion (tear) of the right proximal hamstring from the tuberosity, retracted perhaps 4cm.  Basically the muscle is off the bone by 1.5 inches.

She has scheduled surgery for tomorrow with an overnight stay.  Six weeks in a hip brace to immobilize the hamstring.  No driving, have to use crutches.

Hopeful that I will regain 90-95% of pre-injury strength.  No surgery would result in 30%muscle loss in leg, so that is not an option right now.

Holy shit.  Wow.  I need to immediately end any whining I've been doing.  Just wow.  Best of luck.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

on my way to badass

It's good to have an answer and a plan.  Heal quick!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28