Beginners and Beyond

Do you have names for places on your frequent routes? (Read 118 times)

Hip Redux

You guys have some whacky-ass neighbors lol

I also have a Big Bertha.  Everyone doesn't call their giant hill "Big Bertha"?

There's also "The House Where the Guy with the Backpack Lives".  Which is just your basic nice house, but for the longest time, I'd cross paths every morning with this older guy who carries a backpack.  He's a nice guy and we always say hello.  One day I left my house a little earlier than usual and came across him leaving his driveway.  "Is that where you live?" I asked.  Yup.  So now I know where The Guy With the Backpack lives.  What I really want to know, though, is where he's going every day!

There's also the place where I had an, um, incident out back behind their dumpster.  It was a desperate situation.  So that's The Place That I Run a Little Faster When I Go By.

There's also "Don't Die" street.  Which is a portion of a loop that's on a curve has a high retaining wall and a sidewalk that's about 6 inches wide.  Seriously.  You have to step off the sidewalk when there's a telephone pole.  It's just easier to run on the street than to hop on and off every time there's a pole, and, if you time it right, the traffic lights hold the traffic back long enough to get through the most hazardous portion.

There's also the Snowman House that had a snowman holding a sign that read "The End Is Near" all winter, which made me giggle.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Oh, I forgot- there's also the Golden Retriever House.  They have a wire-fenced front yard with 3 golden retrievers in it.  When the dogs see me coming, they all stand at the corner closest to me and bark until I get there, then they all run along the fence next to me, barking, until I leave them behind.  They are *dying* to go run with me!  I admit to barking back at them (when the owners are out of sight) to get them a little more riled up.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

From the Internet.

There are too many near me to decide which one to name.. well, it's all one big hill, but you can choose from a bunch of parallel streets as the route by which to tackle it. Maybe I should just call my whole neighborhood Big Bertha!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Mine is called the Hill of Doom. I'm not very creative though, because when I lived in my apartment, the big hill right outside was also the Hill of Doom. Maybe I should give my current Hill of Doom a people name. Not Bertha.

The “Taken Circle” – which is just a painted circle about the size of a manhole cover on the side of the road, that when I pass over it on my lunchtime run is usually right “under” the sun, and for whatever reason I look up at the sun when I pass over it and imagine it’s some kind of alien gateway…so, yeah.

The Messaround neighborhood – the day before a race, my run is always random wandering through this condo neighborhood that has about 25 random small streets going every which way, and I just amble through there without really a plan, and I always have the Ray Charles song Mess Around in my head.

Most of the rest are hill names: Shadowlake rollercoaster, the Shermanator, Water tower of Doom, Jaws, The Grind, Matterhorn, Stoopid, False Peak, and Crusher.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              bluerun

Super B****

I don't have names, per se... more like "the tree root where I did a face plant," "the spot where I crashed my bike," "the wall where I got jumped by a dog," things like that.  Maybe I should start naming things, it would give me something else to think about!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

#artbydmcbride

Oh, I forgot- there's also the Golden Retriever House.  They have a wire-fenced front yard with 3 golden retrievers in it.  When the dogs see me coming, they all stand at the corner closest to me and bark until I get there, then they all run along the fence next to me, barking, until I leave them behind.  They are *dying* to go run with me!  I admit to barking back at them (when the owners are out of sight) to get them a little more riled up.

Hah!  I like to bark back at dogs also, or howl with the hounds or of course Meow   Big grin

Runners run

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

At the Indiana State Dunes on route 7 you run the ridge.  Its a bitch of a sand dune and it will chew you up and spit you out as a better runner.  We have groups that meet up to "RUN THE RIDGE"

Another popular route is called Greeks Route and it has a hill called TURTLE HILL.  Its a hilly route to begin with and then TURTLE HILL is just a long uphill grind.

Otherwise I am not sure of what names there are for routes.  The routes I run from my house are pretty boring in their names.  Flat routes or hill routes

Hah!  I like to bark back at dogs also

Well that's at least 3 of us who admit it then Smile

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

4 of us

Hip Redux

I yell "Who's a good puppy?  You are!" in a really sappy voice when passing dogs.  Big grin

happylily

When I run outside, it's usually during my time in the province of Prince-Edward-Island, in the summer. The island is very rural and with a very small population. I have my road down to the beach. My road where the foxes hunt while watching me run by them. My road to the small harbour, which smells of dead fish. My hilly road to the next small community, where if I meet 4 cars I think rush hour. And finally, my long, isolated red dirt road, in the middle of deep woods, where there is an old trailer in a field that looks inhabited, but I've never seen anyone come out of it. That road scares the shit out of me.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Gator eye

Hah!  I like to bark back at dogs also, or howl with the hounds or of course Meow   Big grin

My favorite is mooing at cows.Big grin

One pasture I run by all the cows start kickin their heels and running with me till the end of the fence. It's a hoot.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I'll take you along my neighborhood route

BBC - Big Baptist Church

Creepy Fence Dude's House - this yard has a really nice fence and there is always a very large, shirtless man in the yard staring as I run by. I run at different times and different days. He's ALWAYS in the yard. Shirtless. (this is always a fartlek)

Sweet old couple's house - house with sweet old couple who always say hello from their rocking chairs

Urban trail section - the sidewalk is busted up so it mimics trail running

Hoarder House - House that is crammed floor to ceiling with stuff. The porch and car are even full.

Kissy Dog's House - Very affectionate Chocolate lab lives here. It will run out and give kisses over the fence.

Ankle biter's house - little dog runs along the fence biting away at the bottom.

White kitty's house - a beautiful white cat lives here and watches the world from the porch

informal track team - house where kids join on the run for the length of their yard

grease row - stretch of sidewalk along main road where KFC, McDonald's, Sonic, and Wendy's aromas all waft together