Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Heart & Soul "Red Dress Fun Run/Walk" 5K (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO / SHORT VERSION REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, running since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 5th race of 2015.  Held on February 7, 2015 at Stone Oak Methodist Hospital.  This event was in honor of those affected by heart disease - of whom, my mother was one.  About 400 participants, maybe a bit more than that.  8 a.m. start time.  San Antonio weather was kind of overcast, with a temp of 51 degrees and a wind making it feel a bit colder than that.   10 year age-group awards.  I ended up finishing the event in a speedy - well, speedy for me, lol - 31:53 chip time and 32:00 exactly, clock time.  When I found that out, I was like....what?!!  - and thought the course might've been short since for a 5K I usually do 33 - 34 something.  But nope...I checked with 4 different friends who all had garmins/distance devices, and they ALL told me the course was dead on...3.16 miles. Must be the weight I've recently lost that has made me 'lighter' on my feet, lol.  I ended up 4th in my age group, 60 - 69.  I would have been THIRD, but my speedy friend Gene had a birthday at the end of January, turning 60, which brought him into my age group, darn the luck,   and so he got third.  Well, I was still quite happily surprised by my results, especially as I still did my usual on-course thing, taking photos during my walk breaks...so I really must've made up some time that  last 1.3 miles when I ran in to the finish non-stop. Nice!

Now here is the LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS REPORT.  If you want to skip all the verbiage, here is a no-commentary slideshow with all the photos I took at the event:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2015%20Race%20Reports/2015%20Race%205%20Heart%20and%20Soul%205K?sort=2

BEFORE THE START

Arrived with about 35 minutes to go to start time.  Had already picked up my timing bib and race shirt the day before, so just wandered around prior to the start taking some photos.

Our lovely MC, who did a great job for us.

My 'running crush', Ceci, and my friend Jose, of iaapweb.com, who did their usual great job of course set-up, timing, results etc.

A little bit of 'two-step' line dancing pre-race warmup

Participants, volunteers, supporters, et al;  pets were welcome....and there was a LOT of red at this event.

That's it, model doggie!  Work it, work it..show your best side!  And his human too, of course.

ON THE COURSE

The course was two loops, but very thoughtfully laid out in looong loops, so it did not feel like we were running around in circles.  While I was on the course, I saw THREE times the lady who ultimately was the first overall finisher..in 17 minutes something!  I first saw her as I was heading to a turn-around point and she was running toward me;  next, early in my 2nd loop, she passed me as she was on her final loop and going for the finish.  Then - STILL in my second loop, after I passed the turn-around point,  she passed me AGAIN...this time because she had come onto the course to run with her husband who was still on the course - and they were pushing their kid in a stroller...and still passed me.  Sheesh.   She was pretty darn impressive!

AFTER THE RACE

I crossed the finish line, then did a little cool-down walk.  While I was doing that, some young lady came and handed me a medal.  I asked her what that was for.  She said - which I did not realize - all finishers get a medal.  Oh.  I asked her if she worked for the Stone Oak hospital and she said she was a student volunteer.  So I handed the medal back to her and asked her next time she was on-shift to pass it on to a child cancer patient at the hospital.  This is what I usually do with any medals I inadvertently get - cuz I'm not usually speedy enough to get any AG award medals, lol - donate them to cancer kids.  Now, I don't say this in my reports to get accolades for it; I mention it because maybe hopefully I can inspire/persuade a few of you other runners to do the same thing a few times when you get a medal; I've seen first-hand that the kids who are patients - especially the young kids - really do seem to appreciate it.  So maybe donate a medal of yours..and when you see that big smile on his/her face...well, for me, that is quite enough of a race award!

After that little exchange with the volunteer, I then saw someone with a beer from Alamo Beer...and you know where I headed then, lol.

Oh yeah....post-race beer!

There were also 4 kinds of breakfast tacos, served up by this lovely lady volunteer....

...and cookies!  Yeah!   I'm not much on desserts - I dont like pie, don't like many cakes, don't like cheesecake, etc. - but I LOVE cookies! Yeah, I indulged in a couple.

photo 055_zpscxez90cb.jpg

And the post-race goodies were enjoyed while being entertained by these folks - if I recall correctly the band name was "Second Opinion" (I'm not allowed to have a second opinion...I'm married...)...and they were quite good.

And, of course I did get some post-race photos of the "Happy Finishers", volunteers, et al.....

My friends Loyce and Gene - who beat me out of third place in my age group - by about 4 minutes, lol, he is pretty speedy.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u83/scottydog69/2015%20Race%20Reports/050_zpsgakwehya.jpg

photo 051_zps2ap6vuge.jpg

photo 052_zpsjloz2rg1.jpg

photo 053_zpsirhbkqc5.jpg

photo 054_zps0e7hddh6.jpg

photo 056_zpsafalczdg.jpg

photo 057_zpspvdloc1a.jpg

EPILOG

What a fun event! Very well organized, a really nice turn-out of some very friendly participants, a very nicely laid out course, lots of post-race goodies - including a tent where you could go and get a bag and then wander around the vendor tables in there, filling up the bag with their give-away stuff, nice - some nice music to listen to...a really nice 'atmosphere'.  Stone Oak Methodist Hospital, the main sponsor, really put on a good show for this one, definitely would do this one again!  MUCHO THANKS to all the volunteers, law enforcement, sponsors, vendors, etc., who made this all happen for us!

Next up for me:  Be My Valentine 5K on February 14th...which just happens to be  the 30th wedding anniversary for me and my wife - or, since I'm a Dogg, should I say 'mate' - Gail, the love of my life.  She is also doing this event.

HAPPY AND SAFE RUNNING TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD 'WOOF!'

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Scotty!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

31:53, that's good Scotty! You think you're going to build on that, or rather continue to run at whatever pace feels good for the day? Nothing wrong with either, btw.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Are you ever gonna wear a tutu during one of your races? Awesome job and congrats on the finish time Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

workinprogress11

Great race, Scotty. They should have painted the cones red too, though. The orange clashes with the red. Happy almost anniversary to you and Mrs. Scotty.

GinnyinPA

You've been doing a lot of hilly runs lately, maybe that has helped you get faster than usual.  Good job.  Looks like a fun race.