Beginners and Beyond

Report: 2019 Race Number 17, VIVA SA 5K and 10K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

A BIG THANKS to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%2017%20Viva%20SA%205K%20and%2010K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 17th race of 2019 was the VIVA SA 5K and 10K put on by the Junior League of San Antonio in support of various nonprofit organizations they work with and support. Held on March 23 at HemisFair in downtown San Antonio, an area that is a mix of park, cultural institutions, businesses, the nearby San Antonio Riverwalk, and the HemisFair Tower of the Americas built for the 1968 World’s Fair.  Very nice area to run or walk in or just relax in. This event  Late start time of 8:30 for the kid’s run, 9 a.m. for the 10K and 9:10 for the 5K, so got to sleep in a bit this race morning.  I arrived on-site with just less than an hour to the 5K start time and wandered around getting a few pre-start photos.

Tower of the Americas looming over us at the start/finish area

photo 082_zps6471zv4p.jpg

The playground area here has some very unique items, including this jaguar

photo 020_zpsjikq8t6c.jpg

Hemisfair area has a few birds 'patrolling' around, like these two.  They're pretty friendly and used to people.

photo 083_zpszxyxmjje.jpg

With friend - and fellow retired Air Force guy - Bert.  He is a really fast speedwalker.

photo 027_zpsmoon0wsu.jpg

Bert with our friend, Lynette, another very fast walker.

photo 028_zpslzq2zqeo.jpg

Thanks, Junior League of San Antonio, for putting on this event

photo 005_zps3w2zlym9.jpg

Race day registration and packet pickup volunteers

photo 025_zpskqovhjsx.jpg

Very unique age-group awards waiting for post-race

photo 008_zps9yvnyp2m.jpg

photo 009_zpsfqfc9nmv.jpg

Our DJs and sound men, and I think one of them may have been the MC also.

photo 001_zps1jylqbll.jpg

thank you, volunteers

Various 

Free coffee, anyone?

photo 002_zpsvftyllcr.jpg

photo 003_zpsrqh1b4gb.jpg

Vulcan Materiels was one of the sponsors. 

photo 004_zpsoifc2xlb.jpg

Aha!  Found what will be my first stop post-race, lol. Thanks Corona.

photo 006_zpsnro36g2i.jpg

Wildaway, another sponsor

photo 007_zpsfasrnnrn.jpg

Another sponsor.  San Antonio Running Company provides all kinds of things, including social group runs, coaching and training for runners, various types of food-and-drink products with runners in mind, etc.  A really great resource for our local runners.

photo 022_zpskboqt3dy.jpg

photo 023_zpsov0p61ur.jpg

Dog-friendly event.  This doggie was a little taco.

photo 010_zps8vzvlijy.jpg

photo 011_zpstfodde6i.jpg

photo 012_zpsiprduada.jpg

photo 013_zpsdfymtj3h.jpg

photo 014_zpsqd7ym4qk.jpg

photo 015_zpss1swdovf.jpg

photo 018_zpsnjixevlu.jpg

photo 019_zpsbugehyot.jpg

photo 021_zpssk70k9jp.jpg

photo 024_zpsxf0zaoid.jpg

OK, trying to get the dogs to look at the camera...

photo 030_zpswlxijwl0.jpg

Got the doggies, now the ladies are acting up, lol

photo 031_zpsq0xnb4ak.jpg

Nice, a behaving doggie...   lol

photo 034_zpssnvj5m3y.jpg

My friend here did the 10K

photo 032_zpsxulhw43j.jpg

My friend here did the 5K.  She is really speedy and had knee surgery a while back.  She says here knee is still not quite 100%, but she managed to be first overall master's for this one. Even if she had a cast on, she could outrun me, lol.

photo 033_zpscpt4fq9v.jpg

Beautifully singing the National Anthem

photo 029_zpsegnvsktw.jpg

In the start crowd, waiting to go.  10K folks have already left.

photo 035_zpsn55dnyff.jpg

photo 036_zpshn0nrepa.jpg

ON THE COURSE

San Antonio has lately been having some crazy weather, with some cold days creeping in, then shooting up to the 70s for a few days, then back to cloudy and colder. I think Mother Nature is experimenting with us for something, lol.  Weather for this race was actually pretty nice; temp in the low 60s, a bit of wind blowing, but not a cold wind, and lots of cloud cover. Both the 5K and 10K were out-and-back courses, with each event starting at Hemisfair, then heading down to the San Antonio Riverwalk, where we went to a turn-round point and then came back the same way, with the 10K, of course, going out a little farther to their turn-round point.  The part of the Riverwalk we were on is the ‘quiet’ part of the Riverwalk that goes past King William District and down to the Blue Star brewery area, so not a whole lot of tourist foot traffic on this part.  It was a tad crowded at some parts, but I never did see anyone’s progress get impeded, where I was at any given time.  Also got to see those speedy front-runners heading back to the finish as I headed to the turn-round point, since this was out-and-back.  The Riverwalk is a nice place to run or walk.  I took several photos and ended up with a time of 34:08.  I ended up 1st in my age group (65-69), mainly because I was the only one IN my age group, lol.  Nice little unique age group awards, designed appropriately since we are getting close to Fiesta San Antonio, which starts in April.   After I finished, I got a few photos of some of the people coming in after my, including my friend who was in the competitive walker category and walks about as fast as I run.  She was overall winner in the walking division.

photo 037_zpsim6xzdoc.jpg

photo 038_zpstvghnnz3.jpg

photo 039_zpsybzejvzv.jpg

photo 040_zpsgdbagbrn.jpg

photo 041_zpsoskxs3de.jpg

photo 042_zps5a66xzsg.jpg

My speedy friend already heading towards the finish

photo 043_zpsupl05ayc.jpg

A couple of photos of the Riverwalk area near the 5K turn-round

photo 044_zpsty8x9iyq.jpg

photo 045_zpsi2wh3h5k.jpg

Meanwhile, back on the course...

photo 046_zpsbyuiyltp.jpg

photo 047_zpseq4jzm5v.jpg

photo 048_zpscn8i8lq7.jpg

This dad was running with his son on his shoulders, dang..I asked him if he caught up to me, could he pick me up too, lol

photo 049_zpsqxxxwo4u.jpg

photo 050_zpsklwtrou3.jpg

photo 051_zpsdjxqva6w.jpg

photo 052_zpsyedjbzj8.jpg

photo 053_zpsinl1e0p3.jpg

I am done.

photo 060_zpsvhlyucf4.jpg

Some people coming in after me. A couple of these may be some of the speedier 10K folks. The lady in the white hate is my friend Lynette, who was first overall in the Competitive Walking Division, here coming into the finish.

photo 055_zpszqtjorzy.jpg

Double-stroller lady made it.

photo 056_zpsx21yot37.jpg

photo 057_zps3lqgxzp0.jpg

photo 058_zpsd5au2dey.jpg

photo 059_zpsfquxmucr.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Lots of vendors at this event, so lots of freebies given away.  There was also post-race beer provided by Corona, nice.  This is a pet-friendly event too, so lots of doggies out there; I ran out of doggie biscuits pretty quick.  Enjoyed myself post-race, walking around and chatting with people and getting some ‘happy finishers’ and supporters photos.

With friends.  Enjoyed chatting with them.

photo 061_zpsnzwrjynn.jpg

YAY!

photo 063_zpsxavuxjw9.jpg

Various

photo 064_zpsk4b5axsz.jpg

photo 065_zpswdsf3ibt.jpg

photo 066_zpsbb5lla6p.jpg

photo 067_zps7gfzghgo.jpg

photo 068_zpsmer5dq9u.jpg

photo 069_zpsodomkmxv.jpg

photo 070_zpsrxuuvg0p.jpg

photo 071_zps4mh1v70n.jpg

photo 072_zpsfed1mxh9.jpg

photo 073_zpsjmsw6xhj.jpg

photo 074_zpsluhz7nyk.jpg

We old guys still got it, lol

photo 077_zpsxvlvwrtw.jpg

photo 078_zpstoy70wqg.jpg

photo 079_zpsgshulruw.jpg

Paul, owner of San Antonio Running company, was the bike pacer today for the lead runners. All-around great guy, well-known in the running community and does a lot for our running community.

photo 080_zpslkp646vf.jpg

photo 081_zpslsmojeee.jpg

Close-up of my age-group award.  This little creature was given to all the age-group winners. I believe these are hand-crafted.  Nice-touch and very original.

photo 084_zpspm4p0wpz.jpg

EPILOGUE

Nice quality race shirts, very unique age group awards, nicely thought-out course, and a late start is on occasion nice too, lets you sleep in a bit more in the morning; at least for the participants, anyway; the volunteer and vendors probably had to be there really early to set up. Lots of freebies at this event, thanks to a whole passel of vendors that were there. My friend Woody would have loved the coffee booth…he is a coffee maniac. I have done this one in the past – did it last year too – and definitely will continue do to this one in the future, and would recommend it to others.

Thanks very much to all the people who made this one happen for we participants:  Junior League of San Antonio; Race Director, volunteers, bike leads, police officers out there for us, all the sponsors and vendors, of course.   And thanks to anyone involved I may not have mentioned her.  Thank you all!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

That's a really cool AG award! Congrats!  Is the pinata filled with anything?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That's a really cool AG award! Congrats!  Is the pinata filled with anything?

No, but I thought about putting some booze into it, lol

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt