Beginners and Beyond

Dressing for running in the snow (Read 225 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

This is my first winter running. I'm getting better at figuring out what to wear for chilly tempetatures after making a few overdressing and underdressing mistakes. I need to have a run tomorrow morning no matter what because of some other scheduling issues later in the week,and this close to my first 10K I don't want to miss any runs. Annnnnnd there's an 80% chance of snow during the time I will be running. This will be a first. Any advice? i don't have a water proof or water resistant running jacket, or waterproof pants. It will be 33 degrees. 33 degreesand no snow I would wear long tights, crew length socks, 2 long sleeved tech shirts layered, thin gloves, and a tech material headband that covers my ears. Anything I should do different for snow? Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

clintmorningwood

I think the most important thing is warm socks. If you don't have a pair specifically for extreme weather, I would double up any other socks you like.

sugnim

In my experience, you don't really need to change anything for snow.  It was 33 the last time I went for a run, and I wore some running tights, a long sleeved shirt, a short sleeved shirt, light weight gloves, and a bandanna.  

The only thing I ever do different for snow is to add water proof running shoes if I think there will by icy puddles.  I love my goretex running shoes, and I think they are worth every penny.  But, lots of folks hate them.

Go for your snow run--you'll love it.  So much fun!

Mmmmm...beer

I can't wait to be the first one to put down some footprints in fresh snow! This will be my first winter running.

Not worried about the cold, I've gone down to 21* so far and haven't even broken out the insulated stuff yet.  I'm a lil concerned about how my feet are gonna feel when they get wet, don't have gortex shoes and can't see spending the money for what will amount to a few runs out of the whole winter.  Gonna get some wool socks and see how it goes.  For clothing, I don't have any waterproof stuff either, just gonna layer and if it's actually snowing, or a really wet snow, I'll probably keep my run short, just to be safe. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I dont have gortex shoes, only one pair of running shoes, though they claim to be waterproof. If it's gonna be 33 and snowing I'm assuming it will be very wet snow. The 2 pairs of sock may be a good idea

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Shakedown Street

I ran my last half: 35f/wc 25f @ start. split shorts and tech t. 

It was a freaking sea of gloves at mile 6.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

The only thing I do differently for running in the snow is I wear my screw shoes for traction.  Otherwise, I dress the same as I otherwise would based on the temp.

an amazing likeness

RA has a number of runners from MN, Wisconsin, Canada, New England, and other winter places...so there has been lots of good discussions on running in the snow out in the general forums. 

This is one, and has advice from a professional running coach (who happens to live in MN) at the bottom of page 1.

Here's another which focus on slush/wet feet.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

MilkTruck, I just have to say...thanks for being so helpful to us former RWOLers!! And welcome to our corner!! Smile
                    kristin10185

Skirt Runner

RA has a number of runners from MN, Wisconsin, Canada, New England, and other winter places...so there has been lots of good discussions on running in the snow out in the general forums. 

This is one, and has advice from a professional running coach (who happens to live in MN) at the bottom of page 1.

Here's another which focus on slush/wet feet.

Thanks!!

Rubybaby43

enabler

I'm in MN...I run in trail shoes and the only thing I try to make sure I don't do is step in large puddles.  Otherwise, I don't wear wool socks, I don't even double up on socks.  Sometimes I might overdress, but I don't mind wearing a jacket tied around my waist.  And while I always start out with gloves, if it's above 10*F, they come off half a mile into the run.

KLO

more miles = more beer

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

It didn't end up snowing this morning. I was kind of disappointed!

sugnim

The only thing I do differently for running in the snow is I wear my screw shoes for traction.  Otherwise, I dress the same as I otherwise would based on the temp.

+1.  If the ground is icy, traction is very important.  Screw shoes are great, as are the little rubber things that add spikes to your shoes.

Bummer that you didn't get any snow this morning.  I live in MT, and they are saying winter here will be warmer & drier than usual.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Anything that doesnt require new shoes? I dont have a ton of extra money right now- my running shoes were really expensive and I'd like not to buy any more running shoes til they wear out. Also I live in NYC. Depending on the year we generally only get a handful or so of snowy days.

sugnim

You can add little screws to your shoes, and that will only set you back about $2.  Check out Jenny's article on that other website: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoe-basics/running-battles-winterize-your-shoes

I like the due North traction devices that you slip on to the bottom of your shoes.  I got a pair from the LRS for about $12.  You can run on ice & never slip--you can even dance around on an icy bridge!

http://www.thecompleterunner.com/2011/11/30/running-on-ice-and-snow-safer-easier-with-due-north-traction-aids/