Beginners and Beyond

Weirdest thing someone has warned you will happen to you from running? (Read 509 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So runners..... just curious, what are some of the craziest things people have felt the need to inform you will happen to your body because of running???

Over Christmas my grandma told me that me running terrifies her and she is scared I will damage my heart and lungs (I run 11 minute miles, hardly think that is going to happen!) Then this weekend, those that read either daily threads may have heard about my doctor not even wanting to discuss my knee/possible ITB pain once he found out that I ran and lectured me on how running is just awful for my body and I should stop immediately and no one should ever run if they care about themselves. And TODAY a co-worker (who does have a medical background) told me if I keep running then when I get older my UTERUS WILL FALL OUT! She told me to look up "uterine prolapse" to find out the horrors of what will happen to my body if I continue running. I did, in fact, look it up. It didn't list running as a risk factor but it DID list OBESITY as a risk factor and suggests obese women who have had this should exercise and lose weight. Hmm....sounds like kind of the opposite. And I've gotten warnings about saggy boobs, and several about bad knees.

So just curious as to some of the "warnings" you have received. Anyone else told their UTERUS would FALL OUT or anything as crazy??

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Just B.S.

I started running in 2000 way before it became very popular around where I live and have heard

every negative thing a woman possibly could about running.

I actually had a uterine prolapse as a result of getting older and of having an 11lb , 23.5  inch

baby naturally when I was 30.

And guess what, I continued to run marathons for two more years before I had surgery last

February.

My OBGYN told me to keep running until I was ready to fit surgery into my schedule because

being active, having a strong core from running is exactly what kept it from falling out!!

I especially love it when my fellow 50+ yr old friends who are overweight and inactive tell me that

I am ruining my knees.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Nobody really likes to warn me, although people tend to tell me I'm crazy a lot.  My father says it all the time, and I think it's actually intended as complimentary, but it irritates me immensely.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

You don't need a uterus when you're old, and your boobs will sag anyway.  Knees deteriorate when they aren't used.  Heart and lungs aren't worth a poo if you baby them.  In other words, they're just saying that you'll get old like everyone else.  That being said, I've seen 80 year old runners at races, and 30 year old people in motorized shopping carts in the cookie isle.  Meh...

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

sugnim

I was on mile 6 in a blizzard last Thursday having a great time when I passed a guy who asked me how long I was planning to be out running.  I answered, "Until I get home."  He said, "Be careful--it's cold out here."  I guess that's not too weird, but it cracked me up.

No one has ever told me anything weird would happen to my body.  But I've been advised to stay away from hills, trails, the river, bridges, and roads.  If I listened to all of that advise, that would only leave the treadmill for me to run on, and I've only ever done that once in my life.  It was not enjoyable.

Singer who runs a smidge

That I would come to enjoy it.  Liars.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Nobody bothered to warn me about anything so I can only assume they want me to lose my uterus and ruin my knees.

In transit, arriving on time. 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I might begin to like it.

flarunner

I am at an age when I wished my uterus would fall out. Roll eyes

Oh, and about the knee damage. With everything in moderation, the act of running actually strengthens the musculature around the knee joint making it a stonger joint. Just sayin'...

happylily

I've been warned about many things regarding my running, mostly by runners (too much TM, you run easy too fast, not enough warm-ups, too many LRs, no carb loading? OMG you are doomed...). I must be some sort of alien, I guess... Big grin

No one around me has ever tried to put the fear of running in me. In fact, it's more the opposite. Even my cardiologist asked me if I had finally completed my first marathon the first time I sat with him, to discuss my upcoming heart surgery. I said "Doc, it's been exactly three months since my stroke. Can I bloody rest a bit?" He seemed disappointed. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

bluerun

Super B****

Nobody warned me that my bones would crumble, though perhaps they should have.

But I did hear that my knees would explode.  They both seem to be fully intact.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

happylily

You don't need a uterus when you're old, and your boobs will sag anyway.  Knees deteriorate when they aren't used.  Heart and lungs aren't worth a poo if you baby them.  In other words, they're just saying that you'll get old like everyone else.  That being said, I've seen 80 year old runners at races, and 30 year old people in motorized shopping carts in the cookie isle.  Meh...

Mine don't sag. They point. And in the right direction. That's because running makes you firm. And I'm still waiting for my uterus to fall. Fall, you darn useless thing!!!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Not so much warned about what would happen if I continued running, but I was told by a HS xc teammate that I should give it up because I'd never be any good at it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MrNamtor

people warned me I'd become an argumentative cantankerous old man if i ran too much. So far that warning has proved completely unfounded.

Just B.S.

I am at an age when I wished my uterus would fall out. Roll eyes

Oh take my word for it......life is so much better without it!!Big grin