Beginners and Beyond

Is Running like Golf? (Read 132 times)

In my youth, I played golf, not too well but I played.  Running appears to me has many similarities to golf.  Specific races are like specific golf courses.  When you run them a second time, you always try to beat your previous time on that specific race just like when you play another time at a specific course.

Your time is always earned just like your golf score.    In golf you work on your short game and your long game.  Similarly, your work during the week on different aspects which affect running.

Running, you also compete against your time and also others in your age group or the field.  In golf, you may compete against your best score, and perhap others in your foursome or a tournament field.

To me, running is also very mental just like golf.

On Saturday or Sunday, you get up early to run a race before the crack of dawn.  As a golfer, many times , you awake early for a tee time on the weekend.

What do you guys and gals think?

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

delicate flower

Running doesn't piss me off as much.

<3

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

A running stride is like a golf swing...everyone is a little different.  Plus you might have different strides/swings for different purposes.

You might find yourself wearing goofy clothing golfing or running.

If you screw up you can always blame your clubs or your shoes.

The person with the best gear isn't necessarily the best.

What else?

**Ask me about streaking**

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

No, I don't see too many people in funny clothes, wearing funny hats, wearing funny socks, carrying funny bags while golfing.

You people have issues 

paulski66

miscreant

Well, running requires some degree of athleticism. Golf is for fat rich people who have trouble walking from the golf cart to the tee.

Other than that, sure, they're exactly alike.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Gator eye

To me running is more like sex.

I always dream of a big finish but usually start out to fast and fade quickly before the finish.Shocked

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Maybe a little. Dumb luck got me a hole-in-one at age 14...but it's probably not going to get me a sub-15 5K. So I guess that's one difference.

Also, I eat less while golfing than I do in other sportsJoking.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

I've thought about this before.  (Using disc golf as the comparison, which I play at a very mediocre level.)

Golf is a skill game.  If you have good mechanics, a long period of not practicing is only going to hurt your game a little.  Running is the opposite -- you don't need to be especially coordinated, but your races are a direct reflection of how much work you put in.  Some of the best disc golfers around are overweight, or potheads.  None of the best runners around are overweight, nor potheads.

Dr. Cornsitter

You can run without having to spend a ton of money. You can't really golf without shelling out dough.

Running doesn't have to be competitive because it's not a game. Golf is a game and by nature competitive. Racing is more like golf in that respect.

And I agree that running requires more athleticism. Skill is required in both though.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Golf is a skill game.  If you have good mechanics, a long period of not practicing is only going to hurt your game a little. 

I've got to disagree with that one. After I stopped playing/practicing everyday my game fell apart. Last round I played I barely broke 100 on a course I could usually shoot mid-high 70s on.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The difference for me between golf and running is that running doesn't knock my balls into the water....

...oh wait...I guess in my case a couple of times running has done that....  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I play a lot of golf, and do a lot of running...probably at about the same level. The biggest similarity for me is that they are both activities that let you clear your mind, totally immersing yourself in the activity and just enjoying it for what it is.

As for athleticism, I'd say golf is a more athletic game. If you've ever been to a PGA event, you'd notice pretty quickly that a lot of those guys are built like other pro athletes (yes, there are exceptions, but fewer and fewer).

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

paulski66

miscreant

As for athleticism, I'd say golf is a more athletic game. If you've ever been to a PGA event, you'd notice pretty quickly that a lot of those guys are built like other pro athletes (yes, there are exceptions, but fewer and fewer).

Any sport where a fat crankhead like John Daly is winning championships most definitely does not require athleticism. At the very top levels, it might give you an edge, but it ain't a requirement.

On that front, when's the last time you saw a 240 lb beer-swilling chain smoker in the lead pack of a major marathon?

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Dr. Cornsitter

Any sport where a fat crankhead like John Daly is winning championships most definitely does not require athleticism. At the very top levels, it might give you an edge, but it ain't a requirement.

On that front, when's the last time you saw a 240 lb beer-swilling chain smoker in the lead pack of a major marathon?

+1

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I see some similarities in the mindset maybe, but I'd say they're not very similar as activities, though I only do both at a (very) recreational level. Golf is a game of skill, rather than a test of aerobic fitness.

Running is a completely natural motion that our bodies were designed to do. A golf swing is an UNnatural motion. Most people have to fight against every natural instinct they have in order to forcibly train their body into a proper golf swing, Black eye

They are similar in that your score/time is determined only by you. Teammates and opponents have very little to do with how well YOU do.