Beginners and Beyond

Waking up way too early Wednesday Penguins (Read 21 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I'm not sure why I'm up so early - I think I'm just not fully recovered yet and it is interfering with my sleep.

That said I think I may do just a couple of easy miles today for the sake of the miles game.  If anything, I can just jog a loop around the local park to stretch things out a bit and get the blood flowing.  :-)  I've gotten really habituated to running often and I'm missing doing it, even though I am quite sore.  Depending on how that goes I think I can do mini doubles to still keep my mileage high.  30 mins in the am + 30 mins in the PM and I can still contribute meaningfully to my team.  It is time my make my log private and kick some ass ;-)  I think that as long as I keep the intensity low some mileage wouldn't really hurt me.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

First track day in a LOOONG time where I really didn't want to do a workout. Got it done though. Paired 800s - 200m recovery between reps, 400m between sets. 3:44/3:35; 3:34/3:33; 3:34/3:32

PADRunner

Morning, another 6 this morning.

Brilliant

Jill, take it easy, it's just a game (said no one ever!) 

Lauren, speedy intervals, good work!  Mine were much slower yesterday but I can feel the effect today.

PAD, nice running.

I'm going to an early pilates class, and then run a few easy miles.  The weather is cool enough that I can run after class, yay!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I think it's the time change, as I am still waking up at 4am. O.o

I have Pilates and 6.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I bailed on PT this morning to enjoy spending time with DH, but since he was already on his computer, that was kind of a bust.  Oh well.  Quartet rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!!  Yesterday I realized that my last doctor checkup was about mid-December, so I thought I should make an appointment for this year.  I emailed my doctor, asking for a morning appointment around mid-December.  They came back saying they had an opening on Feb 26th, but the next morning appointment was open in mid-May.  I can usually get in same-day or next day if I'm actually sick, but clearly they don't have enough wellness appointments available.  I was peeved.

sapf -- the easy miles will probably help your recovery ... not that I know squat about marathon recovery!!

Lauren -- woo-hoo for getting it done!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your morning six!!

Brilliant -- enjoy class and easy miles!!

Docket -- enjoy your class and six as well!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Hey pens!  Yesterday I wore my morph suit and spray-dyed my hair at school to celebrate the 5th graders beating me at running on Friday.   It was all in good fun and I think they got a kick out of it.

Jill- Give it a try and see how you're feeling.  DOMS is usually at its worst 2 days after, so you're almost through!

GinnyinPA

Jill - you might try doing the reverse taper thing that Higdon recommends.

Lauren - nice intervals

PAD - good job on the early miles

D - enjoy your Pilates plus 6.  Are you feeling better today after the shot?

Allison - enjoy your double workout.  I'm glad it's finally cooling off for you.

HM - yikes.  That's a long wait for a GP appointment. I can usually get in within a week.

Z - sounds like you had fun yesterday.

AFM:  It's another nice day, so I hope to do 6 or so this afternoon. First Ben gets his walk, then we move bookshelves and boxes downstairs so we can start work on the other half of the room.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Just popping in to say hi! It's been awhile. I owe you guys my NYC Marathon race report.....working on it Wink

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Yesterday we had a big storm roll through here; thunder, lightning, flooded streets... I ended up doing my intervals at the gym on the TM.  Today is clear but I am going to the gym to do 40:00 on the TM and my core work.

See ya.

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, feeling tired but at least I am not getting an asthma attack from the combination of paint fumes and the shot!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Aaaaand ... I have the hiccups.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.7 for us.  A little slow today, due to DW's sore back from raking.

Looking forward to the RR, Kristin.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hey pens!  Yesterday I wore my morph suit and spray-dyed my hair at school to celebrate the 5th graders beating me at running on Friday.   It was all in good fun and I think they got a kick out of it.

Jill- Give it a try and see how you're feeling.  DOMS is usually at its worst 2 days after, so you're almost through!

I think we need a picture, Zel.