Beginners and Beyond

International Races. What's Your Favorite/Least Favorite Destination? (Read 76 times)

Anomalous

Just curious Wink

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Just B.S.

Well to me international includes the U.S. I really haven't done that many internationally but I can tell you what

I thought of the ones we (hubby and I, or one or both) ran.

The Maine Marathon in Portland is one of our favorites. We did the 1/2 in 2011 in pouring rain but loved the race

/route/organization enough to go back in  2012 for the full. Too bad it poured rain again for the entire marathon.

But we still plan to return in 2014.

Hubby ran Boston in 2010. I was a spectator. What can I say. It was Boston, it was fantastic.

Ottawa is not international to me but it would be to most of you. Probably many of you are closer to my capital city

than I am. It  is a 12 hr drive or 2 hr plane ride. Fabulous marathon and my favorite  city! Plus our son lives there

so we go a lot.

Doing my 1st Disney event in 2 weeks, a 1/2. I say event because we are definitely not racing it. Its for fun only

and I plan on having a LOT of fun.

Bermuda of course was so beautiful and the people fabulous. It's a tough course so not one to PR on, but

definitely one to enjoy.

Ireland coming up in Sept. So I will report back on that one.

I'm pretty easy to please and a glass half full kinda girl. If I am healthy enough to run and can afford to travel

for races/vacations I have a lot to be thankful for. I  appreciate and enjoy every destination/vacation race  for it's

own  merits and have yet to not enjoy one!

Anomalous

I'm pretty easy to please and a glass half full kinda girl. If I am healthy enough to run and can afford to travel

for races/vacations I have a lot to be thankful for. I  appreciate and enjoy every destination/vacation race  for it's

own  merits and have yet to not enjoy one!

Smile

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

I've not run one internationally yet but a  friend of mine ran this one a couple years ago:

http://www.marathondumedoc.com/

More of an "event" than a race but he and his wife had a tremendous time. He's a 3:15-3:30 marathoner who finished in 6:08. I think he enjoyed the water stations refreshment stands.

Just B.S.

I've not run one internationally yet but a  friend of mine ran this one a couple years ago: 

http://www.marathondumedoc.com/

More of an "event" than a race but he and his wife had a tremendous time. He's a 3:15-3:30 marathoner who finished in 6:08. I think he enjoyed the water stations refreshment stands.

Fuzzy, that was one we were considering for the fall. Several of our locals have done it and

gave it fabulous reviews. Our group ended up deciding on this one, which I am sure with the hills

and the scenery will end up being an "event" for many of us as opposed to a race.

They call the water stops milking stations .Smile

http://www.mooathon.com/index.html

Anomalous

Whoa!! I can understand why, Fuzzy! All of that "Fun" Big grin

I'll have to keep this one in mind.

Jess runs for bacon

I've never run it before, but one day I will run the Rome Marathon. By far my most favorite city in the world.

They call the water stops milking stations .Smile

http://www.mooathon.com/index.html

Smile  I like it.

bluerun

Super B****

Check back in a month and I can answer that.

Provided I can fix my stupid foot first.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I would not want to do one in Somalia again. When I was there in 1993, several of us organized a race and then had a slight postponement  during the race, had to stop running for a bit  to wait out a mortar attack.   That was not so much fun.  And sure not good your pacing and race finish time! Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

I had Somalia on my must do list. Now I have to scratch that one off.... Thanks a lot, Scotty. Angry

I absolutely loved Prague. The greatest city ever in my opinion, if you like old cities...

Bermuda had the warmest, friendliest people.

Niagara Falls had the pretty course overall, if we're talking nature and rural setting. But it is not international for me. Still, I treated it as a destination race, because I'd never been to Niagara-on-The-Lake and we took the opportunity to have a short vacation while we were there.

Fredericton, NB, was very peaceful and on a trail in nice woods. I loved the quiet feeling of running there (but then, I run on a TM everyday, so I'm easily impressed. Big grin).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

I forgot... you asked about our least favorite as well. I loved all of my marathons and the cities they were held in. But I did some smaller races that I didn't care for that much. Strangely, they were all around here, in Montreal. Out of four races (2 HMs and 2 10ks), I wasn't impressed with any of them and I think it was due to the lack of friendliness, or rather the seemingly non-interested attitude of the volunteers/organizers/spectators. The whole atmosphere around the race is more important to me than the beauty of the course.

Docket_Rocket

Contrary to Lily, we had such a horrible time in Prague that I wouldn't go back there for the world.

I loved the Berlin marathon so that would be what I would recommend.

So far, that's pretty much the only international race I have done.  From the places I've visited, I can imagine that Paris, London, and Munich would be great race destinations.  I loved Moscow but I don't see myself running a marathon there.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

D., was it the people that you didn't like in Prague or was it the way the city looked or what it had to offer? I thought the people were just ok. Not rude, not cold, but not warm either... I had to make myself remember that these people were living under very tough conditions not too long ago, under a system that thrived on suspicion. We have to forgive them if they are not the warmest people around.

Just B.S.

Fredericton, NB, was very peaceful and on a trail in nice woods. I loved the quiet feeling of running there (but then, I run on a TM everyday, so I'm easily impressed. Big grin).

Since that would be international to most people reading I have to 2nd that Fredericton is very beautiful,

you run across two rivers on pedestrian only bridges, no traffic or intersections to deal with, not much in

the way of tangents as it is an out and back on trail, the people are great.......and it's only an hour from home!!

Hubby and I are doing the full again this May!